SMB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As another has mentioned, the DAN SMB is perfect. 6ft long, easy to deploy with LP inflator, oral or a second stage and it is small enough to stow in your pocket with a spool attached ... but it isn't a lift bag. I keep a separate 100lb lift bag in back pad for lifting because that is what it does. I also have a 10ft SMB that I take ocean diving. It is a bit large, but it fits in the back pad in place of my lift bag when I am in open seas.

Forget the DAN bag and get a Carter 75. The Carter actually stands up easily at the surface and doesn't leak dye every time it gets rinsed.

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

I've owned my Dan version for years (almost 10) and have no issues keeping it inflated at the surface and have never seen it "Leak dye" - I'm not even sure how that is possible. Did that happen to you?

Mike, to the Carter's allow inflation from your LP hose? I see that you can fill them with your reg . . .

Mike, to the Carter's allow inflation from your LP hose? I see that you can fill them with your reg . . .

Yes, the website doesn't show it that well, but there is a Schraeder valve that you can use for oral inflation or LP inflation (I prefer not to do that). One nice thing about this open end bag is the ring of relatively stiff material that keeps the bottom mouth in an oval, making it easier to deploy.

Interesting note about accidental ascents due to SMB inflations and entanglements. The BSAC annual incident report is a great read and has many incidents arising from uncontrolled ascents due to SMBs.

i wasn't concentrating, sent up my smb without noticing a bit of line got wrapped around my finger and dragged me to the surface, i was about 1 metre under before i got my finger out - I was moments away from cutting the line.

I always have a z knife in my hand when deploying an smb. I have seen several divers send up SMBs/bags with the line wrapped around something or someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom