SMB recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a boat charter that goes out to Cape Flattery (northwest corner of Washington state), the captain swears by the effectiveness of sola reflective tape for tall (9') SMB's, as those could be picked up on his radar in heavy swells. I have no personal experience, but his other recommendations have worked well for me.

I vote the strips. What do you need 6 feet of solas tape for? And the strips are cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going with the DAN one.

I'm in the market for a new SMB. I like the looks of the DAN one but they don't say if it is a closed bottom or has a one way valve. I like you can inflate it 3 ways. Are the radar strips effective or a gimmick? Does anyone have one and do you like it. I'm open to other suggestions also.

I attended a safety talk presented by a USCG rescue team (pilots, rescue swimmers) at the Fort Lauderdale dive show a couple of years ago where the Coast Guard encouraged the use of a radar reflector incorporated into the SMB. They also like the larger (6 ft) versions of SMBs with a strobe light. The use of a radar reflective component and strobe light, obviously, make it much more likely to be spotted at night. I have heard that the Coast Guard may not search for a missing diver at night unless it is likely that the diver has a light and/or radar reflective component. I've made sure to let my non-diver wife know to tell the Coast Guard that I have both in case the issue ever arises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom