SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not my idea on the set-up, but it's worked great for me. I prefer to have the dsmb attached to the line on the spool, it's really quick and simple to deploy, but very secure at the same time. With this just un-clip the bolt snap, pull the bungee cord over the snap, and it's ready to go...View attachment 503916 View attachment 503917 View attachment 503918
What's that extra loop on the orange cord attached to the smb d ring for? is that where you keep your spare double-ender?

What's that extra loop on the orange cord attached to the smb d ring for? is that where you keep your spare double-ender?

Typically that loop is tied so that one can grab and adjust/remove the line from the DSMB if needed while wearing gloves. If you pull on the little loop it opens up the girth-hitch knot around the DSMB strap.

-Z

How is that? The current is moving you as well; everything is moving at the same speed.
That hasn't been my experience. And then once the buoy has air in it, it ascends in front of me and is pulled forward by the faster moving current above me.

I go a little bit on my back (like 45 deg), my head into current, a little neg boyant, 30 ft depth or so. i can look up to make sure no one is on top of me. Throw the SMB down current, inflate (I use a low pressure port from my bcd or blow into the valve) and let it fly. I stay negative and pull myself it to Saftey stop on the reel, very slowly. Keeps the SMB upright on surface. Practice at least once every trip.

Current can flow at different speed at different levels. Maybe faster at surface or slower. Just adjust as needed .

Typically that loop is tied so that one can grab and adjust/remove the line from the DSMB if needed while wearing gloves. If you pull on the little loop it opens up the girth-hitch knot around the DSMB strap.

-Z

Yup... I do it that way so I can still quickly and easily separate the spool from the dsmb if the need ever arises (never had to do it yet, but you never know).

Just to echo some common advice from the other posters... practice this skill with some guidance from a more experienced diver and you'll be a pro in no time. Keep up the skill as well. Every trip I take I try to make sure I shoot my dsmb a few times. It's a simple skill, but one you should keep proficient at as well.

Lastly, if you can find a lightly used one, or don't mind spending up I love my Halcyon 3.3 footer... great size for dives where the captain will be looking for you, and there's a low chance of drifting off. It's very simple to shoot from shallow depths as well (due to it's small size, a single breath will fill it from 15')... Just my 2psi... YMMV...

I recently bought the Dive Alert Deluxe SMB from DGX: Dive Alert Deluxe Surface Marking Buoy w/Oral Inflator and Pocket - Dual Color {65 in x 8 in}.

Aside from being wider than I anticipated, I also didn't think about the fact that there is no ring or attachment point on the piece of webbing that hangs down like on many SMBs. I would generally prefer to have the spool tied off to the plastic ring closer to the bottom as in the attached picture, but I'm a bit worried the entanglement hazard of having the webbing dangling free.

I prefer to inflate with a secondary rather than orally, and I like to keep spool and SMB assembled.

Any suggestions on how I should set this up? Any issue with attaching the spool to the webbing loop without a ring? Suggestions on adding a ring/attachment point (I was thinking something like this: DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Pear Shape Quick Link)?

Thanks Scubaboard!

Attachments

• 20190212_213806.jpg
    20190212_213806.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 271
I recently bought the Dive Alert Deluxe SMB from DGX: Dive Alert Deluxe Surface Marking Buoy w/Oral Inflator and Pocket - Dual Color {65 in x 8 in}.

Aside from being wider than I anticipated, I also didn't think about the fact that there is no ring or attachment point on the piece of webbing that hangs down like on many SMBs. I would generally prefer to have the spool tied off to the plastic ring closer to the bottom as in the attached picture, but I'm a bit worried the entanglement hazard of having the webbing dangling free.

I prefer to inflate with a secondary rather than orally, and I like to keep spool and SMB assembled.

Any suggestions on how I should set this up? Any issue with attaching the spool to the webbing loop without a ring? Suggestions on adding a ring/attachment point (I was thinking something like this: DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Pear Shape Quick Link)?

Thanks Scubaboard!

You're better off getting a ring and just sewing/choking it into place rather than trying to use a quick link. It's just another thing you would need to check to make sure it's secure if you're using an attachment that's designed to un-attach at some point....

Seems like there was a link to a spool configuration video in this thread? I bookmarked the thread, planning to come back to it, because I was traveling at the time. But it appears the msg with the link has been deleted. As I recall, the gentleman was seated at a table and had a Brit accent. I searched on YouTube, but haven't found it yet.

Seems like there was a link to a spool configuration video in this thread? I bookmarked the thread, planning to come back to it, because I was traveling at the time. But it appears the msg with the link has been deleted. As I recall, the gentleman was seated at a table and had a Brit accent. I searched on YouTube, but haven't found it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom