Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think folks are wondering what the "everything" tried was.

Well, There are a lot of things doctors try to help women with low/lost libido.. It's a really big problem for millions of women.. The drug companies have failed to come up with a good treatment without big side affects.. Smoking a little weed gave her a big part of herself back...

Jim...

Well, There are a lot of things doctors try to help women with low/lost libido.. It's a really big problem for millions of women.. The drug companies have failed to come up with a good treatment without big side affects.. Smoking a little weed gave her a big part of herself back...

Jim...
So simple, so awesome!

Gee...., Do you think they might be a little biased?
Well the APA did give it a separate disorder. I believe because you cannot (as far as we know) develop a physical dependency to marijuana the eat you can to caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.

You are welcome to smoke. It is your right. I will defend that right. I will not defend your "right" to fill my lungs with your smoke.

Fair enough...

Remember to sign a waiver absolving any Dive Pro that smokes from the need to try to resuscitate you in case of an emergency (We wouldn't want you lungs filled with any smokers breath).

And if you're overweight, again absolve the dive crew from having to rescue you thus putting themselves at risk of injury recovering you

I don't smoke but many very good divers I saw are smokers, including some that could be considered outstanding... Perhaps only dives in very strong currents might require the diver to be a non smoker. Apart from that, lung cancer and many other diseases unfortunately are not just horror stories for the kids

Wait a minute.. Just because a person smokes DOESN'T mean that they'll get cancer.. It is just a added risk factor..

I always wonder where all these people that can't stand smoking were before the 1970's when the war on smokers started.. The first place to outlaw smoking was movie theaters, Then it took 30+ years to get were you couldn't even smoke in a park.. How did anti smokers ever live..

Jim..

Wait a minute.. Just because a person smokes DOESN'T mean that they'll get cancer.. It is just a added risk factor..

I always wonder where all these people that can't stand smoking were before the 1970's when the war on smokers started.. The first place to outlaw smoking was movie theaters, Then it took 30+ years to get were you couldn't even smoke in a park.. How did anti smokers ever live..

Jim..

Smoking was socially acceptable until then.

When I started smoking my parents smoked, my family physician (who came to our house) smoked, a number of physicians would suggest smoking to "nervous" people, movie screen heroes smoked, and it was a "sophisticated" habit.

My sisters and my wife all remember being taught how to hold a cigarette when they went to charm school.

When the war on tobacco began all of the perceived positives were thrown away.

Because smoking is now a negative attribute in society it is easier for people to get upset about it.

And because people have become more rude they are more likely to be more militant about tobacco users in their perceived space.

Since everyone else shared their opinions I'll share mine. I don't smoke, but I have no concerns if someone else smokes while underway on a boat. It's no like the smoke is going to find its way into my lungs. If it's during a stop, then I still wouldn't say anything although I wouldn't really like it. I'm not king of the world and what they do isn't really any of my business.

I bet smokers are annoyed by nonsmokers.

Smoking is bad for you, but people make cigarettes out to be worse than crack. Over-reaction is worse for a cause than doing nothing at all because it wipes out your credibility.

Since everyone else shared their opinions I'll share mine. I don't smoke, but I have no concerns if someone else smokes while underway on a boat. It's no like the smoke is going to find its way into my lungs. If it's during a stop, then I still wouldn't say anything although I wouldn't really like it. I'm not king of the world and what they do isn't really any of my business.

I bet smokers are annoyed by nonsmokers.

Smoking is bad for you, but people make cigarettes out to be worse than crack. Over-reaction is worse for a cause than doing nothing at all because it wipes out your credibility.

I smoked for 38 years, I also exercised, ran, and ate well, so I never experienced any of the negative secondary effects.

I quit when I was 50, a number of years ago now, because intellectually I knew the more visible negative effects, as well as the unseen ones, were likely to catch up with me.

Turns out I am allergic to cigarette smoke.

The simplistic explanation, according to my allergist, is that smoking causes the body to produce non specific T1 phages which attack allergens.

So while I smoked I had no reaction to anything I was allergic to.

Which seemed to be everything.

So even after more than a decade of allergy shots I still react to some allergens, smoke being a big one.

So what do I do when someone is smoking?

I go where the smoke is not.

Much easier than screaming about it.

Honestly, it's not a matter of social acceptance... Smoking kills million of people. Lung cancer, cardiac problems, even just loss of money in most cases are a consequence of an addiction, not of a free and rational choice. I have no problem at all with smokers, but this to me appear to be the truth

Back
Top Bottom