Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, inhaling any sort of smoke isn't good, no doubt. I don't think anybody would go around and stand in a fire's way so they can inhale more smoke. Not even chain smokers I would think. Tells you something about the whole thing, doesn't it?
Yes. Tells me that if you're freaking out over passive smoking, you shouldn't make bonefires either..

I'm not freaking out over passive smoking. I'm saying that it bloody reeks and I don't want to have to smell it.

And not everyone wants to smell your campfire. Or your perfume / cologne / assorted grooming products. Or any number of other things which are also choices and with can annoy or make others ill. It is not possible to ensure that nobodys nose is ever offended. My point was that it is hypocritical to suggest that smoking should not be allowed on the campsite while allowing camp fires. I also find it more than passing curious at the reported very large and growing MJ advocates who are antismoking. Too few people ever take the time to acknowledge, examine, or attempt to reconcile the logical inconsistencies in their belief systems.

And not everyone wants to smell your campfire. Or your perfume / cologne / assorted grooming products. Or any number of other things which are also choices and with can annoy or make others ill. It is not possible to ensure that nobodys nose is ever offended.
Those are all bad examples for various reasons. If you don't like the smell of campfires, then you really shouldn't go camping. Same as I don't go on any place which specifically allows/encourages smoking, because I don't like the smell. Your other examples aren't valid because people don't use them for personal pleasure, but rather for the (presumed) pleasure of others. It may not always work out that way, but that's a totally different issue. Nothing of this bears any similarity to smoking. You really shouldn't be lecturing about logical inconsistencies or hypocrisy...

A much better example would be your neighbour burning a pile of leaves of w/e and the wind is blowing the smoke in your house. Would you mind that? I would. It's just as inconsiderate. Even though it still doesn't stink quite as bad as a cigarette does.

Those are all bad examples for various reasons. If you don't like the smell of campfires, then you really shouldn't go camping. Same as I don't go on any place which specifically allows/encourages smoking, because I don't like the smell. Your other examples aren't valid because people don't use them for personal pleasure, but rather for the (presumed) pleasure of others. It may not always work out that way, but that's a totally different issue. Nothing of this bears any similarity to smoking. You really shouldn't be lecturing about logical inconsistencies or hypocrisy...

A much better example would be your neighbour burning a pile of leaves of w/e and the wind is blowing the smoke in your house. Would you mind that? I would. It's just as inconsiderate. Even though it still doesn't stink quite as bad as a cigarette does.

Perfume, cologne, grooming products..... For the (presumed) pleasure of others? And this doesn't result in eventual pleasure/vanity for one's self? Back when I had allergies from childhood until maybe 30, perfume set me off way worse than mom's cigarette smoke (though perfume wasn't harmful to my eventual health, I assume). I only add this because it seems we are talking about (severe) annoyances and not the effects of PROLONGED exposure to second hand smoke (such as daily in the workplace, etc.).

Perfume, cologne, grooming products..... For the (presumed) pleasure of others? And this doesn't result in eventual pleasure for one's self? Back when I had allergies from childhood until maybe 30, perfume set me off way worse than mom's cigarette smoke (though it wasn't harmful to my eventual health, I assume. I only add this because it seems we are talking about (severe) annoyances and not the effects of prolonged exposure to second hand smoke (such as daily in the workplace, etc.).
Yes, some perfumes are not good for some people. Some people don't like the smell of certain perfumes. Yadder yadder yadder.
Smoking isn't good for anybody! Nobody likes the smell of smoke! (except the smokers probably...)
See the difference?

Yes, some perfumes are not good for some people. Some people don't like the smell of certain perfumes. Yadder yadder yadder.
Smoking isn't good for anybody! Nobody likes the smell of smoke! (except the smokers probably...)
See the difference?

You know, to be 100% honest, I would say that if I happen to pass someone on the street out here in rural Nova Scotia while I am smoking my pipe, I estimate there is probably a 30-40% chance they will say "Gee, I LOVE the smell of a pipe". The only thing that proves is that you are completely wrong in saying "Nobody likes the smell of smoke!" Perhaps cigarette or cigar smoke only? I can't comment on that. I didn't mean to "pipe" in here, but when you mentioned perfume that's just a magic word for me. It wasn't that perfumes "weren't good for me" back then, or that I simply didn't like the smell. In fact, I rather liked the smell--in winter, when ragweed was gone and so were all of my allergies to EVERYTHING --even my own SPIT (not kidding). But perfume put me into allergy misery for hours if it were mid June to Sept. But also, I realized I was in a very tiny minority of people affected severely and immediately from these smells--and from smoke, etc. We have to differentiate between situations like these and what annoys smokers and non-smokers about each other. People CHOOSE to wear perfume, and they choose to smoke. I maintain that smoke on a dive boat will not severly affect a majority of people. The small minority (like me), will, and have on the old thread, swear up & down that I am mistaken. It will annoy quite a few, and as we have read, a fair number said it's not that big a deal (unless it's a liveaboard). As discussed, one can always not go on a boat that allows smoking anyway.

You know, to be 100% honest, I would say that if I happen to pass someone on the street out here in rural Nova Scotia while I am smoking my pipe, I estimate there is probably a 30-40% chance they will say "Gee, I LOVE the smell of a pipe". The only thing that proves is that you are completely wrong in saying "Nobody likes the smell of smoke!" Perhaps cigarette or cigar smoke only? I can't comment on that.

Exactly. IMO his reaction is driven in large part by faulty assumptions and the projection of his own beliefs onto others.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2013 at 11:06 PM ----------

It is clear to me that you do not see any other POV on this issue. There is no logical inconsistency or hypocrisy in my statements.

“If you don't like the smell of campfires, then you really shouldn't go camping.”

It is hypocritical to complain of cigarette smoke while unnecessarily burning wood, creating smoke for no good reason.

You are choosing not to see the comparison because you find it inconvenient.

And last I checked, marijuana is very much used for personal pleasure. It is smoked. It is thought by many to be at least equally unpleasant a smell as tobacco smoke.

And last I checked, marijuana is very much used for personal pleasure. It is smoked. It is thought by many to be at least equally unpleasant a smell as tobacco smoke.
Thats just because they smell it, think "damn a joint woulda hit the spot right now", but for some reason cant :p

And would be completely inappropriate on a dive boat!

Second hand tobacco smoke makes me nauseous. It has the same effect on several people I dive with. I don't think it's too much to ask that people don't make me physically ill when I go diving. Smokers can get their fix with gum, patches, and other aids. They don't have to light up.

It's a strange dichotomy I see in divers who are smokers - anal about the quality of their gas but expose themselves and others to the products of incomplete combustion from smoking (a mini compressor flash in every puff). One would think that the logic that drives them to be concerned about the gas they dive would bleed over to a concern about the toxins in the tobacco smoke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom