Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, the vast bulk of claims of "allergies" are nothing of the kind. Nut allergies that induce a severe histamine reaction are indeed serious allergies. But people's alleged allergies to smoking are often not physical allergic reactions at all.
Well, they are physical in the appearance, its just that cat fur really isnt dangerous for you although the brain for some reason has learned to go into full blown defense mode..
And yeah, I never saw people playing with wasp sting or nut allergies - I think it might be a bit risky to go out and reinforce results on those :p

No, cigarette smoke is annoying to you because you LET IT be annoying to you. Most people are actually fully capable of ignoring it..
Apples and oranges might be fruits, cigarette smoke and perfumes are scents. Cruise ships is a mode of transportation, so if you want to bring that in youll have to talk about the SMELL of cruise ships...

No, tobacco smoke is annoying because it contains nicotine, which makes me sick! It's not just the smell, it's the chemical constituent that smokers are addicted to which bothers me. To compare one of the most addictive compounds on the planet to perfume or other transient odors is just absurd.

I shouldn't have to ignore or otherwise deal with smokers blowing their stinky, toxic exhalations anywhere near me. I don't like breathing smoke and won't be working on accepting it anytime soon.
Well said. I'm glad that there are indeed some people around who do stand up for what they believe is right. Otherwise we wouldn't have any non-smoking laws today and you still couldn't go out and have a drink or dinner or play some pool with your friends without coming home smelling like an ashtray.

This thread grew to tremendeously long in a few days, I've given up reading at page 6:)

Just my 0.02$:
I am european, right now living in Switzerland, which is the worst place I've ever been for non-smokers. People smoke in the train station, bus stops, streets, you can't possibly get away with clear lungs. The media is also biased, articles coming out with opinions "I (the interviewee) don't think, smoking is harmful" statements from "doctors" (??) and everyday people. With today's clean engines, cigarette smoke is much worse, than the car exhaust you inhale on the street.

I do not dispute the right of anyone for smoking - neither for taking heroin shots, but clean areas have to be provided for those who don't smoke (they are the majority anyway). As someone wrote before: smoking policies have to be declared by the boaters/dive schools. I personally tolerate some smoke, but imagine someone (e.g. canadian visiting Greece) paying 1+k$ for a flight and 2-3k$ for a liveaboard then sufficated by smoke? Come on, He/She is the turist, he/she is PAYING! And the turist is paying to enjoy the ride, not to suffer.

OTOH, the russian turist (sorry for non-smoker russian readers) would like to enjoy a shaft after a nice dive with his friends/family. They are also paying customers, but incompatible with the non-smoker ones! put them on a different boat and everyone will be happy.

Dumping the butts (and anything non-degradable) in the ocean: this should mean immediate ban from further diving. Smoking boats have to be equipped with proper & easy-to-use disposal possibilities. I just recall a trip in Australia, there was an italian guy smoking all the time and throwing butts everywere we went in 3 national parks. Disgusting. Someone wrote earlier, that this is a XXI. century problem: yes, we realized, that we are too many and if we pollute the environment, sooner or later there will be no environment. The only thing to see underwater will be plastic trash, cigarette butts and tar...

Smoking + Nitrox + Gasoline or Diesel sure seems like a bad idea to me. Usually I am able to sufficiently stay away from smokers on a dive boat. The only time I have been personally bothered by it was when I was sea sick and the smell of exhaust fumes and cigar smoke badly added to my nausea. I really considered going over and barfing my biscuits on to the cigar man.

tamas970 makes some good points, though some are just re-worded from what has already been said. One new idea is that car exhaust pollution has been improved over the years, I guess due to unleaded gas and before that those catalytic converters (do they still have those?). I'm not sure if comparing car exhaust, such as it is, and smoke from cigartettes is valid--too many variables (where is the smoker, how many cars are there?). It's interesting he points out how long this thread is (now it's longer). Passionate feelings on both sides. I wonder why such intense discussions didn't exist prior to say 1980, when anti-smoking and laws prohibiting it started to appear. Why didn't all those who felt so strongly against breathing others' smoke in 1960 say something then? Many more smoked back then.

I'm not sure if comparing car exhaust, such as it is, and smoke from cigartettes is valid--too many variables (where is the smoker, how many cars are there?).
I'd consider if half valid. Sticking with the dive boat situation, having an exhaust around is a bit of a necessity. Sure, it can be placed so it's less likely to get into people's faces, the engine can be different so that it produces less stink, etc... And yes, I would prefer such boats over others. But it's not possible to have no exhaust at all. It is possible to have no smokers around though.

It's interesting he points out how long this thread is (now it's longer). Passionate feelings on both sides. I wonder why such intense discussions didn't exist prior to say 1980, when anti-smoking and laws prohibiting it started to appear. Why didn't all those who felt so strongly against breathing others' smoke in 1960 say something then? Many more smoked back then.
Change in culture and society. Back then, smoking was considered to be integral part of the modern life style. Even earlier in the century, it was considered a status symbol. It was seen as something positive. Not any more.

Change in culture and society. Back then, smoking was considered to be integral part of the modern life style. Even earlier in the century, it was considered a status symbol. It was seen as something positive. Not any more.

Agree. Same thing with seat belts. But with all that extra smoke floating around back then, the situation was much worse. Having "come of age" from say 1967-74, I can't recall any complaints about smoking then. Post 1980 was a different story, all be it a gradual change. Perhaps (as with seat belts) at least some "jumping on the bandwagon"?

Agree. Same thing with seat belts. But with all that extra smoke floating around back then, the situation was much worse. Having "come of age" from say 1967-74, I can't recall any complaints about smoking then. Post 1980 was a different story, all be it a gradual change. Perhaps (as with seat belts) at least some "jumping on the bandwagon"?
I wouldn't say jumping on the bandwagon. More like the realization that people had the right to an environment unpolluted by other people's filthy addictions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom