Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been very rare in my experience, but when I first saw somebody smoking on a dive boat I was dumbfounded. It was obviously permitted so I didn't say anything, but I would actively avoid any operation allowing people to light up onboard. There really is no escaping the smoke.

Reactions: dfx
No one wants your smoke destroying the wonderful aroma of the salt air, and if you flick your butt into the ocean, you should be banned from all dive boats forever.
DivemasterDennis
so are you having the captain of this miracle day boat of yours paddle you around from spot to spot? last time i went diving the diesel fumes kinda imparted their own special aroma to the day festivities. STFU before somebody stuffs you in a designated area for a right decent ........

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 02:16 PM ----------

I shouldn't have to ignore or otherwise deal with smokers blowing their stinky, toxic exhalations anywhere near me. I don't like breathing smoke and won't be working on accepting it anytime soon.
that's right well said, and the rest of the world shouldn't have to deal with or ignore you and your condescending ass. are the whackNut in front of me NOT using their turn signal? are you the jabberwocky that can't count to 10 at the supermarket checkout isle? are you the schlubb that pulls into the handicapped parking 'cos you're just gonna be there for a minute? trust me toots; you are perfect. i have met very few smokers that weren't courteous individuals that went out of their way to not trouble non-smoker, but i've seen more than my fair share of holier than though fruitcakes... jimmy said it best "
Oh, there's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
"

I wouldn't say jumping on the bandwagon. More like the realization that people had the right to an environment unpolluted by other people's filthy addictions.

I can agree with that explanation. It also means most of those who were annoyed, etc. back then were either stupid or wimps for not complaining. Or perhaps just social pressure.

I can agree with that explanation. It also means most of those who were annoyed, etc. back then were either stupid or wimps for not complaining. Or perhaps just social pressure.
Most people don't complain if they don't think they have the right to complain.

Well, here is my 2 psi...

I'd smoked for 25 years. Medium to heavy smoker most of my adult life. Had tried to quit many times unsuccessfully. Few years ago picked up SCUBA. Right away figured that air quality is important to divers and NEVER (let me repeat-never) smoked on dive boat on day trips or around other divers, had to wait till I would get near my car to have that stupid smoke or two. Yeah, it was tough at times. But I considered this a common sense.

Guess what: I quit. Guess what: I've lost about 25 Lb since I quit. Forget that quitting is difficult, forget that quitting makes you gain weight. It's an urban myth. In my case it took a 2 hour video ("Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr) to straighten my brain (took longer lunch on Jan. 5 2012, watched the video and never made a single puff since, don't want to as well). Oh, an no, the video (or the book by Allen Carr) doesn't try to scare you in any way.

Quitting doesn't make you gain weight. Burning less calories then calorie intake makes you gain weight. Simple math. You want to eat more and not gain more weight-exercise more.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I don't like "smoke nazi", even now, after quitting. These are the people that will come close to smoker on purpose and will advertise that smoking is bad for you by coughing, etc., will throw loud fits about how smoke 2 miles away bothers them, etc. But I do think it's a very reasonable for people to expect not to breath in cigaret smoke on dive boat. Some people have their sinuses and even bronchi irritated by smoke (including my son) which doesn't exactly help enjoying day of diving. If you smoke-don't smoke on dive boat, please. Yes, you can do it. Believe me. You will not die, I promise. If you have to, use nicotine replacement (e-cigs, Nicorette, anything). If you still have to, make sure you do it somewhere where it cannot bother anyone. But most boats are too small to avoid getting some smoke to people. So, it's best to completely avoid it.

Well, here is my 2 psi...

I'd smoked for 25 years. Medium to heavy smoker most of my adult life. Had tried to quit many times unsuccessfully. Few years ago picked up SCUBA. Right away figured that air quality is important to divers and NEVER (let me repeat-never) smoked on dive boat on day trips or around other divers, had to wait till I would get near my car to have that stupid smoke or two. Yeah, it was tough at times. But I considered this a common sense.

Guess what: I quit. Guess what: I've lost about 25 Lb since I quit. Forget that quitting is difficult, forget that quitting makes you gain weight. It's an urban myth. In my case it took a 2 hour video ("Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr) to straighten my brain (took longer lunch on Jan. 5 2012, watched the video and never made a single puff since, don't want to as well). Oh, an no, the video (or the book by Allen Carr) doesn't try to scare you in any way.

Quitting doesn't make you gain weight. Burning less calories then calorie intake makes you gain weight. Simple math. You want to eat more and not gain more weight-exercise more.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I don't like "smoke nazi", even now, after quitting. These are the people that will come close to smoker on purpose and will advertise that smoking is bad for you by coughing, etc., will throw loud fits about how smoke 2 miles away bothers them, etc. But I do think it's a very reasonable for people to expect not to breath in cigaret smoke on dive boat. Some people have their sinuses and even bronchi irritated by smoke (including my son) which doesn't exactly help enjoying day of diving. If you smoke-don't smoke on dive boat, please. Yes, you can do it. Believe me. You will not die, I promise. If you have to, use nicotine replacement (e-cigs, Nicorette, anything). If you still have to, make sure you do it somewhere where it cannot bother anyone. But most boats are too small to avoid getting some smoke to people. So, it's best to completely avoid it.

I know the type. I have seen people go up to smokers and say things like "did you know that smoking causes cancer?". I am not even a smoker and find these people to be idiots :)

I know the type. I have seen people go up to smokers and say things like "did you know that smoking causes cancer?". I am not even a smoker and find these people to be idiots :)

Yeah, this is plain stupid. Guess what: most smokers (if not all) know all the bad stuff smoking does. Actually, when I tell smokers about Allen Carr book and/or video they jump "Oh, it's trying to scare you about all the bad stuff? It wont work, I know it all, doesn't matter to me". Well, it's another topic, but that book/video and his "Easy way ..." (there are few of his books, on smoking, drinking, weight loss, etc., only smoking made it to video as far as I know) in general don't work on fear at all. Never mind, I don't want to turn into "everyone has to quit since I quit" kinda guy, just giving information in case anyone is interested.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I am also Russian:) Noticed that it's kinda a stereotype about Russians and smoking (well, not only smoking, I've heard some people talking about Russians drinking sometime too:wink:).

so are you having the captain of this miracle day boat of yours paddle you around from spot to spot? last time i went diving the diesel fumes kinda imparted their own special aroma to the day festivities. STFU before somebody stuffs you in a designated area for a right decent ........

The diesel exhaust is a whole different thread (dive boats here use outboard 4 strokes), maybe you should start one. This one is about smoking, which people can control much easier than modifying the propulsion system on a boat. Most smokers know their habit bothers people and will move downwind on their own, without being asked. Most of the rest will move when politely asked. But, there are a few ***** that will plop their fuming butt next to me and puff away no matter what. I had a guy once drop his lit cigarette on my wing, and didn't think it was a problem at all (s**t happens).

A whiney nonsmoker might be aggravating, but he's not making you physically ill with his nicotine fumes, he's not getting smoke and ash in your eyes, and he isn't holding an ignition source in his hand.

The diesel exhaust is a whole different thread (dive boats here use outboard 4 strokes), maybe you should start one. This one is about smoking, which people can control much easier than modifying the propulsion system on a boat. Most smokers know their habit bothers people and will move downwind on their own, without being asked. Most of the rest will move when politely asked. But, there are a few ***** that will plop their fuming butt next to me and puff away no matter what. I had a guy once drop his lit cigarette on my wing, and didn't think it was a problem at all (s**t happens).

A whiney nonsmoker might be aggravating, but he's not making you physically ill with his nicotine fumes, he's not getting smoke and ash in your eyes, and he isn't holding an ignition source in his hand.

"Most...without being asked......when politely asked". "But..a few *****....plop butt next to me". Well, we KNOW there are *****s. And I would imagine that the smokers who move downwind on their own or when asked are the vast majority. The arguement some have is that there IS no "downwind" and that there should be no smoking at all on boats. It would seem that you are OK with smokers being considerate in moving away from you on a boat. Is this correct?

Well, the first question is "what is a dive boat?" I guess..
Ive been on anything from this kinda thing where there really is not much room to be polite about anything other than what you DONT to..
dive_boat.jpg

and then you have what Im USUALLY on, something like these, where you have a lot more space and alternatives..
sharm01.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom