Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah. youre right. Its like the automatic response now to any undesirable aspect of life is to tighten rules, tighten control, assign blame and just generally restrain living space to prevent the odd, unavoidable accidents of life. Its like forced safety, its getting so neurotic. No bumps in the road are accepted as a natural part of life. It just must not be, and no politican has the guts to sometimes say well - life is just not always fluffy. There is just no tolerance of the accidental anymore everything must be controlled regardless of the consequences to normal life.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2013 at 11:33 PM ----------

I honeslty find it a bit insane to complain about cigarette smoke on top of the sundeck with the wind blowing and diesel fumes overshadowing the areas where there is no air.

It just gets a little typical. It doesnt bother you so it shouldnt bother others and if it does its because they lack stuff to complain about or are overly sensitive. This is no different from what I've had to listen to my entire life, even before smoking became a social issue.

Its really very simple. I never once in my life tried smoking and I just find it nauseating, disgusting and deeply annoying. Not the persons, not for moral or health reasons - just for what it simply is: A sharp, penetrating unpleasant smell that gets in the face of everything. On top it activates the frustrations of being trolled by uncaring smokers for the better half of my life, but so what, that was pretty real and it was just social pressure that changed it. But really its the smoke itself. It bothers me anywhere, enough that it affects my breathing pattern and general well being, yes on the sun deck as well.

On the other hand, the human body is very capable of compensating for any such disadvantageous factors, and I know some dive masters and instructors who are moderately heavy smokers and their gas consumption rates are just as low as anybody's (and much lower than a non-smoking newbie for example), who have no problem pushing against a strong current under water, etc. Of course it's reasonable to assume that they would need even less gas if they didn't smoke. It's all relative.
Don't assume anything. My own SAC has gone through the roof since I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I noticed a +25% increase in the short term (maybe due to the associated stress). Long term, my SAC is still 15% higher than it used to be. Anyone has any idea why that might be?
(Sorry if this belongs to a new thread..,)

Don't assume anything. My own SAC has gone through the roof since I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I noticed a +25% increase in the short term (maybe due to the associated stress). Long term, my SAC is still 15% higher than it used to be. Anyone has any idea why that might be?
Maybe your body has become used to having a better supply of oxygen now, thus is using more? Could also be other factors, like changed weight(no more appetite suppressor for you!), being older, etc.
I've noticed the same, but I've also gained about 30lbs weight...

I don't think it has anything to do with off-gassing, as this happens without the aid of red blood cells (AFAIK, anyway). However, it does inhibit your blood's ability to take up O2 and CO2, which means a smoker has to breathe more, heavier and faster than a non-smoker to get the same amount of O2/CO2 exchange. While diving, it means they use up their air faster. On the other hand, the human body is very capable of compensating for any such disadvantageous factors, and I know some dive masters and instructors who are moderately heavy smokers and their gas consumption rates are just as low as anybody's (and much lower than a non-smoking newbie for example), who have no problem pushing against a strong current under water, etc. Of course it's reasonable to assume that they would need even less gas if they didn't smoke. It's all relative.

You are right, I stand corrected. The carbon monoxide from smoking bonds easily with hemoglobin in the red blood cells and messes up the O2 and CO2 wanting to do so. But it has nothing to do with N offgassing. I should've read the Encyclo. before posting.

I gained a lot of weight when I quit smoking. If you gained some pounds that may be part of the reason ;-)

I won't dive on a boat with smokers.For me it isn't some hypothetical fluffy senario. Cigarette smoke hurts my eyes,as does after shave and deoderant.

Before I quit, I had a high red blood cell count and larger than normal red blood cells. Both have now normalized. Maybe that might have something to do with it?

I USUALLY SEE ABOUT 1/4 OF THE PASENGERS ON A BOAT THAT SMOKE. lIKE AUTO EXHAUST UNLESS THERE IS NO WIND IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME

I won't dive on a boat with smokers.For me it isn't some hypothetical fluffy senario. Cigarette smoke hurts my eyes,as does after shave and deoderant.

Actually smokers are humans as well. I am sure if u tell the captain and the others divers your condition. . Am sure they be glad to smoke only after they have haboured and are away from u

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 12:00 PM ----------

Smokers do get a bad rep eh... I do smoke.. but I can dare say I am fitter then most of my friends and peers... some even younger then me (am 37). I have seen many fit smokers out there.... and really.. some of these so call smokers only smokes while on (dive) holiday. :)

But like I mention above... we are humans too... I am sure if u say tell us nicely that it bother u. I am sure we can work something out...

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 12:04 PM ----------

Finally... here is some info on what happen the moment u stop smoking..... by the min.. the hour... the day... thw week.. the months... the years. ..
http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html

Then you also ascertain with the charter beforehand if anyone who signed up wears after shave or deodorant (the latter is probably a vast majority of people)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom