Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand your point but I am trying to point to double standards... What I pointed to was exactly social hypocrisy. We are over-reacting on minor issues while ignore more important ones which are just bigger and more difficult to deal with. I wish the problems of the world were a smoker on the sundeck ;-)

PS. Forgot to say how impressed I am by your choice of words and links to online references so that we common folks can enrich our vocabulary.

I believe he taught English. So does my step daughter, so we discuss fishing. Anyway--Rember "55 saves lives" and we had the law to respond to the 70s oil embargo. That was a time when catalitic converters came in and leaded gas was on the way out. Bumper sticker back then that said "55 polutes less" or so (and this was in Canada where our limits were still 100 kmh-62 mph). Yet, he had to use gas to pull 10 feet forward to the stop light and that burned fuel because of the start up. I'm just rambling after a cold 40F dive, but there are many that offend society out there that go "unpunished" because it's not a smoking thing.

I won't dive on a boat with smokers.For me it isn't some hypothetical fluffy senario. Cigarette smoke hurts my eyes,as does after shave and deoderant.

So dude get up, showers, shaves, splashes on some after-shave and scrubs a bit of gel under the arms... Gets on dive boat, boat gets underway and dude marches to the stern, downwind of you and fires up... The complaint was what??? Oh, when finished, dude field strips butt and throws butt in the trash. Its' not the smokin' that bothers me... Its having to share my airplane seat with the 400lb. Gorilla with gasping breath and pink face, sweating like hell in a 75 degree air temp while still. Second hand fat.

There are more people who bite the dust from complications due to over eating than die from smoking. You should not have to deal with any irritant that you can avoid, granted.

I won't dive on a boat with divers that don't use deodorant :)

Oh my, is this is still going?
This is real simple, making the rules is up to the owner of the boat (business) and as a consumer it's your choice, pick the company that provides the service you like and and don't spend money with the one you don't and if smoking is that big a deal to you ask before you sign up! The owner has a right to make the rules and the consumer has the right to purchase or not.
If a person thinks they have a great business model like having a non-smoking or whatever type of dive boat (or business) thats GREAT, throw down the money, buy a dive operation and boat and make it happen with the rules they see as winners.
By the way I would like to see a no whining boat :wink:

There are more people who bite the dust from complications due to over eating than die from smoking.

simply not true, something only a smoker would say. Hint: google smoking vs. obesity

There are more people who bite the dust from complications due to over eating than die from smoking.

simply not true, something only a smoker would say. Hint: google smoking vs. obesity

I'm not all that sure I understood the logic of the statement by OkByMe. Was he saying that because more people die from complications due to overeating (which FM1520 rightfully disputes), it is OK for smokers to inflict toxic fumes on others? If so, is that not akin to saying "there are more people who bite the dust from gunshots than stabbings, so you shouldn't mind when someone stabs you"?

OkByMe, John--- Yeah that's all true. But we are not talking about anyone dying from anything on this thread. No one has desputed my thought that second hand smoke on an open air dive boat (or really most places outside) does not cause any long term health issues. Or are we arguing that it does? This thread is, of course, about smokers vs. non-smokers and how they irritate each other, no?

OkByMe, John, Yeah that's all true. But we are not talking about anyone dying from anything on this thread. No one has desputed my thought that second hand smoke on an open air dive boat (or really most places outside) does not cause any long term health issues. Or are we arguing that it does? This thread is, of course, about smokers vs. non-smokers, no?

Second hand smoke is definitely associated with long term health risks and premature death. That is pretty conclusive. It's not like people only breathe second hand smoke in one place or another. Every little bit contributes to the whole. Or do you think inhaling second hand smoke in the open air makes it less cancerous than if you inhale it indoors?

Second hand smoke is definitely associated with long term health risks and premature death. That is pretty conclusive. It's not like people only breathe second hand smoke in one place or another. Every little bit contributes to the whole. Or do you think inhaling second hand smoke in the open air makes it less cancerous than if you inhale it indoors?

Yes, I do think that. Indoors vs. outdoors (especially on a dive boat) is not IMHO at all comparable! We all know second hand smoke may be even worse that smoking it yourself. But I think that referred to years ago when the workplace was full of smoke. You say "every little bit". How little? A few whiffs when the wind blows your way will cause health problems 20 years from now? Yes, I think it is a LOT less cancerous than if you continuously inhale it indoors!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom