Sneezing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've sneezed several times underwater with absolutely no problem. Guess I'm just allergic to algal spores (kidding)

One of my trainers told me once that coughing under water should be avoided since it might lead to air entrapments in the lung which later on when ascending can cause lung barotrauma. I'm not a doctor so I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, sneezing probably isn't any better. Maybe someone can confirm or call it a myth :wink:

Edit: Found the appropriate link Air Embolism (Arterial Gas Embolism)

coughing is the act of expelling air and liquid from your lungs so I'm not sure how it would "trap" anything in the lungs. I think your instructor was providing you bad information. Or the person was confused with regular coughing and COPD, which can have coughing as a symptom.

Sneezed a few times - a trickle of water in my mask caused it - no biggie same as above water just sucks when it's one of those big ones that hurt your neck and shoulders

Placing a Snoticus Schnozzum (Latin) a.k.a. the Great Green Slimy Sea Snake into your mask will prevent mask fog.

I know about this kind of stuff, I wrote a PADI Distinctive Specialty...see my sig line.

There are no stupid questions. If you have to sneeze under water, you just sneeze under water. Keep your regulator in your mouth and sneeze. You may have to get the snot out of your mask, but that a simple mask removal, shake, and replacement.

mental image of a snot filled mask -well I spose it wont fog up.

I haven't sneezed too often under water, but it has happened. When I feel it coming, I take the mask off and let it go. Then I wipe the nose and replace the mask.

Back
Top Bottom