Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone understands that snorkels are chick magnets.

Chick magnets-- don't need that, I AM one (especially with the needles). Nothing more to do in Destin, FL in Winter, so I post in the the SNORKEL thread. Though the diving is what I make it to be and I can play some clarinet.

Last edited:
Chick magnets-- don't need that, I AM one (especially with the needles). Nothing more to do in Destin, FL in Winter, so I post in the the SNORKEL thread. Though the diving is what I make it to be and I can play some clarinet.

Ahhh, the clarinet. You ARE a chick magnet!

Dorkel... I keep one tucked into my BP. If I get blown off a mooring a line, both of my hands are suddenly free to retrieve it and tuck it under my mask strap.

Foldable snorkel sometimes in pocket.

If I find myself at the surface and no boat in sight and it looks like I will be there for a while I think it is time to pop my hard to replace weight pockets, dump out the weights and put them back in the BCD. Can always easily buy new weights and I will be much more buoyant. That is done after inflating the 6ft SMB and letting a couple other signals out. If I think it might be airplane search time, the 30 ft flourescent orange streamer goes out. Actually if I am out at sea I will have let the SMB up before I even get to the surface if no anchor line and no someplace like the keys reefs.

Call me an 'old school' but I do have my snorkel with me every single dives.

I personally have never feel annoyed with my snorkel attached beside me, in fact it gives me extra safe feeling.

To me, it's like a backup life support. For example similar to someone else already mentioned here, in a scenario when you run out of air but have to wait for the boat to pick you up during a sudden rough sea (I experienced this once or two). Or sometimes when you surfaced and waiting for the boat, you need to frequently check where you are relative to the sea/reef bottom; to avoid being dragged by current to shallower or much deeper water (you want to be at where the boat is easy to bring you up). To do this, easier for me to use snorkel, instead of switching to my 2nd stage over and over again.

You never know when you'll need it, but having a backup 'breathing tool' makes me more comfortable at surface.
Anyway, this is just my personal preference.

Everyone understands that snorkels are chick magnets.

Is that a snorkel in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

(someone had to say it)

Like a lot of safety equipment you don't need it until you do. If the dive site is an easy swim to a visible shore in calm water then you don't need a snorkel. If there is any chance you could get stuck on the surface waiting for a boat to find you or there a long swim in rough water back to shore the a snorkel could be the thing that saves your life when something doesn't go to plan. It doesn't take a lot to drown a person.

..the a snorkel could be the thing that saves your life when something doesn't go to plan. It doesn't take a lot to drown a person.

Oh dear - we have got to this point in the discussion and it is dragged back to stupidity with unsubstantiated nonsense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom