Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the intended use of the gas you "reserve" at the surface at the end of the dive?

I keep my reserve for an emergency, hanging around on surface waiting to get on the boat, or waiting for the boat to show is not what I consider an emergency.

Bob

I keep my reserve for an emergency, hanging around on surface waiting to get on the boat, or waiting for the boat to show is not what I consider an emergency.

Bob
I agree Bob. One scenario, one of the divers waiting at the surface has a Wing failure and starts to sink like a rock, I like to have enough gas to try get to them, they should have enough to grab the reg and breathe while they dump a belt etc. I don't use a snorkel but I keep gas in reserve.

Last edited:

Bob
Agree. There is also the slight risk of winding up with less than 100 PSI if you use your reserve and don't pay attention (no, I haven't done this). That may cause a little water to water to enter the tank. I may have mentioned I have used my snorkel returning on the surface to shore after one shallow dive, intending to use the same tank for a second dive. You can think of a number of uses for a snorkel if you try.

+1 on not wanting to suck my tank's reserve down while in 4' waves if a snorkel is an option.

Doesn't mean that you must carry a snorkel, but that possibility, however remote -- that waves will pick up while Im down -- is the main reason I carry a pocket snorkel with me on all my dives.

Having a snorkel is a personal decision. As noted in this and lots of other discussions there are reasons for and against. I personally don't like having a snorkel attached to my face mask but I keep a folded mask in my pocket. My best 2 reasons for having a snorkel with me when I dive are just in case I need it or if (actually when) I lose it I have an excuse to go to the dive shop and buy more unneeded items.
A third reason is if someone in the group doesn't have theirs and is whining about it.

Wife and I carry roll ups. Like most things... Id rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it. No making up the difference.

Back
Top Bottom