Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought it was common knowledge that it was possible, but apparently not. So I'll let you in on the secret: It's possible to occasionally turn your head around to see where you're going. Not unlike what's commonly done when rowing.

It works for me, at least.
Thank you, Captain.

So to add to the surface swimming on your back navigation concerns. Let's say you're out in the Atlantic off the US east coast and you can't see the shore. You know you need to head due west, 270 degrees. On your back you are facing away from your direction of travel. Set your compass to 90 degrees, swimming backwards you traveling on a 270 degree azimuth.

I look at it this way, it's up to the diver. Just like a motorcycle rider doesn't need a helmet, but can wear or if they prefer.
Or can not wear one in many places and get a ticket.

There's a no helmet law where I live, so no-one wears them.

2007_07_Rallye_Dresden_Breslau_07_05_01.JPG

As someone who just made the conscious decision not to use my snorkel this year, I'm curious of how you were actually using it in your situation? Why is not keeping your BC inflated enough to keep your head above the water? I've been in the water in heavy seas (sailing related) and get the whole spray thing that makes it hard to breathe, but why would you keep your head in the water when you want to keep a lookout for your boat? I'm just confused as to the whole point.

I actually find I use my snorkel on most of my boat dives. In my limited experience so far my boat dives have been cattle call boats and they tend to want everyone to go down and up together. I tend to run warm and will not pass at the opportunity to be one of the first in the water. I also fully admit I still have room for improvement in my air consumption so I will switch to my snorkel while waiting for everyone else to get into the water. So for the few minutes it takes for everyone else to find their fins or what ever else takes them forever to get in the water I figure the snorkel helps eliminate the penalty of being the first in the water air wise. Also my BCD is a back inflate so it takes a bit more effort to keep on my back and head above water so using the snorkel allows me to relax a bit more in the water as i am waiting rather than worrying about a wave. For me its more of a comfort thing.

I have recently switched to a FFM with a surface valve. I am debating if I am going to keep the snorkel going forward. I will probably until I am a bit more comfortable with what the limits of the FFM is in regards to the surface valve as I do see it as a safety device as well for the event you are spending more time than expected on the surface awaiting pickup. But the belt and suspenders approach comes from my being a pilot as well. In the air and the water if something goes wrong you really have to figure it out yourself with what you have on you. So its better to have a few extra tools than not have the one you need if things go wrong.

I'm probably repeating what I've said somewhere else before on the old snorkel debate, but I think we all agree that "to each his own", etc. I have found that due to my types of diving and areas, I have gone from mask-attached snorkel at all times to rarely putting a folding one in the BC pocket (though once in a while I still may). One "argument" I'm still unsure of is using a snorkel as an aid if in really nasty chop and having to be on the surface awaiting boarding a boat or having to do a surface swim back to shore. I've heard all the arguments against using a snorkel here--such as "I always have enough tank air left", "I can inflate my BC and keep my face out of water", and all the debates about swimming on your back or front with snorkel. I have used a snorkel in very heavy chop on rare past occasions, and definitely feel it is an aid--at worst, it certainly can't hurt. Yes, if the wave somehow tops the snorkel you get water in it, a problem not occurring if using the reg. I think this rarely happens and probably shouldn't since most people can figure out if their snorkel is underwater--or close to it. If for whatever reason you don't want to use tank air (or can't due to equipment failure), a snorkel in these rare situations seems logical. One reason for my basically dropping snorkel use is that being retired, I can almost always pick a good day to dive--one where swimming on the surface without using a reg or snorkel will be fine. Make sense?

On my last dive we did a cliff wall from a boat. First time I have intentionally not worn a snorkel as I didn't think I would use it at all. The cliff went from 60 feet above water to 150+ below.

Once we surfaced there was a delay while we waited for the boat to pick up a group who surfaced in a different spot. I had not snorkel but wished I did. My buddies spent the wait time looking at interesting things near the surface. I looked down, looked up took a few breaths and kept feeling cold. The interesting things would have keeps we distracted and not thinking about getting cold.

Back
Top Bottom