snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZKY, don't forget the infamous: PADI MASTER SCUBA DIVER.. hey hey hey...

I don't use a snorkel at all.

Two days ago I ended up 1.5km from the boat diving in the middle of the Bass Strait and was not found for a few hours which is when I have seen many of the arguments given as to when a snorkel is useful. It was a bit rough and after a while I ended up ditching my weight and swimming 250m to a small island nearby in current, with my scuba gear on plus a pony (I could have ditched all my gear I know but that was last resort). It was incredibly physically exhausting. I did not miss my snorkel though and I'll explain why.

When I surfaced after trying to swim back to the boat, I was very out of breath and started feeling very anxious. I figured it was CO2 build up from overbreathing my reg (I was VERY exerted). After I took my reg out of my mouth and just focused on breathing between waves, I calmed down. So for the swim to the island, also very physically exhausting, I think the dead space in the snorkel (or say if I had used my reg too) would have increased my anxiety from CO2 build up as I have experienced that before when snorkelling and being exerted.

So in conclusion, when being lost at sea for a few hours, I still did not wish I had a snorkel. But YMMV.

Agree 100%--------so I ask why make the stupid post to begin with?.....

Well it couldn't have been that stupid a post or there wouldn't be so many people invested enough in the topic to respond:D

I got rid of the snorkel right after my class. I carry it when required (by the dive operator) in a pocket. We do a fair few surface swims of reasonable length. Manually inflate the BCD roll onto our backs and chat away as we swim along.

I have only once regretted not having a snorkel. On the way back on the dive boat some mantas were playing around and everyone grabbed snorkels and snorkeled with them.

I have had some rough conditions surface swimming to the exit. At that point I pop the reg in if a big set hits and I need it, I would rather have a reg in than a snorkel with water splashing over it. If things go sour I would rather have the safety of a reg with adequate air in my tank to drop down to avoid a boat or rouge wave trashing me on the rocks (I've had this happen). Our entries are normally over rock platforms and IMHO it is better to have a reg than a snorkel so you don't have to worry about the angle of your face in the water and can focus on other things! At the end of the dive the air in my tank is surplus so I don't care if I use it or if it is there when I take the tank for refill:idk:

I can see the value of having it in my pocket in boat dives where currents could make the shore a very difficult/impossible swim. IMHO it goes to having a proper dive plan and the appropriate resources to complete it safely. I have to say that I have never yet been in a situation where I needed a snorkel to be safe.

It is great to see this issue debated so new divers can look are the responses and come to a better informed decision about what is right for them. :coffee:

It is great to see this issue debated so new divers can look are the responses and come to a better informed decision about what is right for them. :coffee:

Absolutely ... although it would be nicer if some contributors could pretend to be grown-ups and avoid hot-button words like "haters" ... :no: Personally, I haven't seen any "hating" in this thread at all ... and words like that do nothing except cast doubt on the credibility of those who use them.

It is important for new divers to understand that virtually every equipment choice comes with advantages and drawbacks that may or may not impact how they dive ... depending on conditions, environment, and personal preferences. What matters most is finding a comfort zone, and building your kit in a manner that best suits it.

It's also important to understand that virtually everyone's perspective is based on their personal experiences, which are impacted by where they dive, how they dive, and how much they've dived. Every opinion offered needs to be viewed with that knowledge ... because even those of us who dive a lot might be looking at the issue from a perspective that does not apply to you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

snorkel, what is it good for?

Absolutely nuthin'!

Say it again!

edwin-starr-war-tamla-motown.jpg

:eyebrow:

RJP, Thanks I've been trying for days to think of those exact song words.

Last edited:
Or poorly trained in theory and/or practical skills. People can be brainwashed easily into thinking they need something.

-----------Or don't need something....

Well it couldn't have been that stupid a post or there wouldn't be so many people invested enough in the topic to respond:D

I got rid of the snorkel right after my class. I carry it when required (by the dive operator) in a pocket. We do a fair few surface swims of reasonable length. Manually inflate the BCD roll onto our backs and chat away as we swim along.

I have only once regretted not having a snorkel. On the way back on the dive boat some mantas were playing around and everyone grabbed snorkels and snorkeled with them.

I have had some rough conditions surface swimming to the exit. At that point I pop the reg in if a big set hits and I need it, I would rather have a reg in than a snorkel with water splashing over it. If things go sour I would rather have the safety of a reg with adequate air in my tank to drop down to avoid a boat or rouge wave trashing me on the rocks (I've had this happen). Our entries are normally over rock platforms and IMHO it is better to have a reg than a snorkel so you don't have to worry about the angle of your face in the water and can focus on other things! At the end of the dive the air in my tank is surplus so I don't care if I use it or if it is there when I take the tank for refill:idk:

I can see the value of having it in my pocket in boat dives where currents could make the shore a very difficult/impossible swim. IMHO it goes to having a proper dive plan and the appropriate resources to complete it safely. I have to say that I have never yet been in a situation where I needed a snorkel to be safe.

Take 10 seconds & do a search........This topic is OLD...

Take 10 seconds & do a search........This topic is OLD...

Yep people can blow the dust off the archives and get a lot of benefit from the information there if they so desire. People can "poke" an old thread to make it active. Problem with that is some of those old threads are so long they are intimidating and the valuable stuff is spread through so many posts! People can also post a question and exchange ideas with current users in a more active way. All are valuable parts of the board and keep SB alive.:blinking:

Out of curiosity I asked our dive buddies today if any of them had a snorkel on them. One of 5 did (stowed in a pocket). I asked when was the lat time anyone carried one. They all indicated they carry one when they feel conditions warrent it only. All Stow them when they do carry them. Interesting since all have dived in a multitude of conditions, countries and locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom