snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use a snorkel at all.

Two days ago I ended up 1.5km from the boat diving in the middle of the Bass Strait and was not found for a few hours which is when I have seen many of the arguments given as to when a snorkel is useful. It was a bit rough and after a while I ended up ditching my weight and swimming 250m to a small island nearby in current, with my scuba gear on plus a pony (I could have ditched all my gear I know but that was last resort). It was incredibly physically exhausting. I did not miss my snorkel though and I'll explain why.

When I surfaced after trying to swim back to the boat, I was very out of breath and started feeling very anxious. I figured it was CO2 build up from overbreathing my reg (I was VERY exerted). After I took my reg out of my mouth and just focused on breathing between waves, I calmed down. So for the swim to the island, also very physically exhausting, I think the dead space in the snorkel (or say if I had used my reg too) would have increased my anxiety from CO2 build up as I have experienced that before when snorkelling and being exerted.

So in conclusion, when being lost at sea for a few hours, I still did not wish I had a snorkel. But YMMV.

Being "lost at sea" is not the same thing as having to swim 250 yards. :shakehead::shakehead:

might have been easier and cheaper to have a snorkel and keep the weightbelt?:coffee::coffee:

Being "lost at sea" is not the same thing as having to swim 250 yards. :shakehead::shakehead:

might have been easier and cheaper to have a snorkel and keep the weightbelt?:coffee::coffee:

We were 45 nautical miles from the mainland in an area of no boat traffic, in cold, rough water and the 'island' was a small pile of rocks in the middle of the Bass Strait. I had to wait until the two metre waves threw me against the rock face and grab on to barnacles to climb up it after one of the most physically exhausting experiences of my life (given the weather and current). I am covered in bruises, I have injured my back badly and I have gashes on my hands from the rocks. I would not have made it on to the island if I had not ditched my weight and I barely made it onto the island without ditching my gear. The night before we had a shark attack us on the surface nearby, so overall it was pretty spooky experience.

If we had not made the island I have no idea when we would have been found. So yea, I consider that being 'lost at sea'.

I don't use a snorkel at all.

Two days ago I ended up 1.5km from the boat diving in the middle of the Bass Strait and was not found for a few hours which is when I have seen many of the arguments given as to when a snorkel is useful. It was a bit rough and after a while I ended up ditching my weight and swimming 250m to a small island nearby in current, with my scuba gear on plus a pony (I could have ditched all my gear I know but that was last resort). It was incredibly physically exhausting. I did not miss my snorkel though and I'll explain why.

When I surfaced after trying to swim back to the boat, I was very out of breath and started feeling very anxious. I figured it was CO2 build up from overbreathing my reg (I was VERY exerted). After I took my reg out of my mouth and just focused on breathing between waves, I calmed down. So for the swim to the island, also very physically exhausting, I think the dead space in the snorkel (or say if I had used my reg too) would have increased my anxiety from CO2 build up as I have experienced that before when snorkelling and being exerted.

So in conclusion, when being lost at sea for a few hours, I still did not wish I had a snorkel. But YMMV.

Wow How did I miss this post? Glad you are ok Sas! Interesting that you didn't miss having the snorkel. :hm: I wonder if face in the water and snorkeling could mean you are less visible to the boat and less chance of seeing, signaling the boat.... Interesting thought:idk:

Wow How did I miss this post? Glad you are ok Sas! Interesting that you didn't miss having the snorkel. :hm: I wonder if face in the water and snorkeling could mean you are less visible to the boat and less chance of seeing, signaling the boat.... Interesting thought:idk:

Well the boat headed off in the other direction so for this situation, it was not an issue but I am not sure. Staying on our backs made it easier to keep our SMB and mirror displayed but it didn't really make a difference (as you need someone to be looking in your direction to see this) I don't think it would make a huge difference! But, not keen to test it out again :)

snorkel, what’s it good for?

I was once stranded on a desert island and found a snorkel on the beach. The plastic was good for starting a fire.

You'd change you opinion pretty quickly if you knew where they were and which direction they were headed.

I was a snorkeller long before I was a scuba diver. As a new diver, I suck my tank down pretty fast so I appreciate being able to use the free air on the surface before and after my dive.

FYI I use an Aqualung Impulse 3 snorkel which is very good about keeping water out. It is a bit bigger than some simpler snorkels, but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

My 2 cents.:)

I was a snorkeller long before I was a scuba diver. As a new diver, I suck my tank down pretty fast so I appreciate being able to use the free air on the surface before and after my dive.

Ummmm.... why 'after'??? Does your LDS give a rebate on returned air? :idk:

Ummmm.... why 'after'??? Does your LDS give a rebate on returned air? :idk:

Perhaps he has a short dive in which he has over half his tank when he returns to the surface. If he is doing shallow dives (20 foot) then it would be possible to just want to come to the surface for some reason or another before returning to dive after a S.I.

Just a possibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom