snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have personaly found it easier to swim on my back then to swim with a snorkel. The only exception and the only time though that I use one is when I am in rough waters. I have been in some pretty good size swells that dunk you even when your just floating heads up and the snorkle makes breathing in such conditions so much nicer.

Yes, we go round and round on this. I agree with you completely, and just figure that those who think this is never true must never have been in those big swells??? It just makes sense. Perhaps they've never gotten a mouthfull of water? Having a 12" pipe sticking up HAS to keep water out of your mouth unless it gets submerged accidentally or by a huge wave. And I don't want to breathe from my my reg ever when on the surface--particularly before the dive begins. Why use that air at any time unless underwater? Doesn't mean your air planning is necessarily bad. The only other reason for a snorkel may be to scope out the bottom from the surface while swimming out from (or even back to--you may be doing two shallow dives on one tank and still want to save air) shore . But those are reasons.

Snorkel, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
Snorkel, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
Snorkel, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
Ohhh, snorkel, I hate
Because it means entaglement
When I donate

I thought I was nark'd when I saw my buddy with this strange growth! Apparently it was caught in the kelp and attached itself to him!:fear: Not sure what happened to the owner.. no body found:dramaqueen: My buddy managed to get someone to remove it safely and it Has been sent to a good home for rehabilitation!
517C-790BSmall.jpg

Oh....look at how useful it is... what would that diver do without out it clamped permanently and readily available to the side of their face??

I can see how it makes perfect sense to store the snorkel for later, by sticking it on the side of the head. Can I also do this with my DSMB and Reel?

I can see how it makes perfect sense to store the snorkel for later, by sticking it on the side of the head. Can I also do this with my DSMB and Reel?

You could do it with your spare mask :p

Seriously though, why's the USD faceplate upside down.

Yes, we go round and round on this. I agree with you completely, and just figure that those who think this is never true must never have been in those big swells??? It just makes sense. Perhaps they've never gotten a mouthfull of water? Having a 12" pipe sticking up HAS to keep water out of your mouth unless it gets submerged accidentally or by a huge wave. And I don't want to breathe from my my reg ever when on the surface--particularly before the dive begins. Why use that air at any time unless underwater? Doesn't mean your air planning is necessarily bad. The only other reason for a snorkel may be to scope out the bottom from the surface while swimming out from (or even back to--you may be doing two shallow dives on one tank and still want to save air) shore . But those are reasons.

If the surface conditions are so bad that I can't safely surface swim to the point where I descend I would consider it unsafe to dive in case they blew up worse during the dive.

Nope I guess I have never been in bad swell. :shocked2: I do remember when conditions deteriorated unexpectedly during a dive. There was no way we could get on the boat so they threw us a line and towed us to a more protected area where boarding the boat was difficult but at least possible. I'd rather not repeat that experience but I never once thought ... "Gee:doh: I wish I had a snorkel so I wouldn't have to waste the reserve air I surfaced with!" I really don't think that 12" tube would have kept the water out when the white water and waves were washing over us. :idk:

I plan my dive so I surface with enough air to deal with any likely emergency. The amount of air we plan to surface with should allow us to exit safely. I think it is a waste of air to bring it back to the dive shop when it could be better used elsewhere!

I did learn another use for a snorkel today. A diver swam underneath me and ascended intent on getting a Picture. Rammed the darn snorkel into my stomach in the rush to get the shot of an unusual fish's tail!:shakehead:

If the surface conditions are so bad that I can't safely surface swim to the point where I descend I would consider it unsafe to dive in case they blew up worse during the dive.

Nope I guess I have never been in bad swell. :shocked2: I do remember when conditions deteriorated unexpectedly during a dive. There was no way we could get on the boat so they threw us a line and towed us to a more protected area where boarding the boat was difficult but at least possible. I'd rather not repeat that experience but I never once thought ... "Gee:doh: I wish I had a snorkel so I wouldn't have to waste the reserve air I surfaced with!" I really don't think that 12" tube would have kept the water out when the white water and waves were washing over us. :idk:

I plan my dive so I surface with enough air to deal with any likely emergency. The amount of air we plan to surface with should allow us to exit safely. I think it is a waste of air to bring it back to the dive shop when it could be better used elsewhere!

I did learn another use for a snorkel today. A diver swam underneath me and ascended intent on getting a Picture. Rammed the darn snorkel into my stomach in the rush to get the shot of an unusual fish's tail!:shakehead:

I dont never go looking to be the big Kahuuna of diving and try to ride the big one but my statement goes hand in hand with yours. When underwater from any length of time that may reach up to or even exceed one hour of bottom time surface conditions can go from mild to plain old you got to be nuts.

I dont particularly care for using a snorkle but when there is a good little wave action going on I will take it with me for the just in case. Calmer waters such as lakes and quarries and even the good old salty water make back swims all the worth while. You have unlimited visibility looking up and can see miles away if need be to shore (Though I hope never to be that far away). When you use a snorkel that means your most likley looking down into water that may be 30 feet deep and still cant see bottom. this proves worthless in simple navigation and require you to look either at a compass or keep raising your head up hince defeating the purpose of the snorkel.

Snorkels are obsolete but that doesnt mean they dont have a good purpose. besides you can entertain kiddies on shore with the wale immitations by going under coming back up and purging the snorkel. :) :snorkel: :snorkel2:

I dont never go looking to be the big Kahuuna of diving and try to ride the big one but my statement goes hand in hand with yours. When underwater from any length of time that may reach up to or even exceed one hour of bottom time surface conditions can go from mild to plain old you got to be nuts.

I dont particularly care for using a snorkle but when there is a good little wave action going on I will take it with me for the just in case. Calmer waters such as lakes and quarries and even the good old salty water make back swims all the worth while. You have unlimited visibility looking up and can see miles away if need be to shore (Though I hope never to be that far away). When you use a snorkel that means your most likley looking down into water that may be 30 feet deep and still cant see bottom. this proves worthless in simple navigation and require you to look either at a compass or keep raising your head up hince defeating the purpose of the snorkel.

Snorkels are obsolete but that doesnt mean they dont have a good purpose. besides you can entertain kiddies on shore with the wale immitations by going under coming back up and purging the snorkel. :) :snorkel: :snorkel2:

:rofl3::rofl3:'nother good use for a snorkel! Yep I do own one and have been known to carry it when Required by the dive operator. I have been known to actually go snorkeling and one day I may decide conditions warrant carrying my brand new folding snorkel!:D

I would rather miss the dive today so I get to do a lot of dives later! Since this is the New Divers Section I will take the chance to repeat/reinforce that one of the most important skills a diver has to master is knowing when to call a dive!

I have only every got to do one fresh water dive. These Quarry Dives sound interesting.. maybe I will get to do one eventually:daydreaming::blinking:

Well, I think your points illustrate why the difference between having a snorkel or not are miniscual. Of course, if you were shore diving out a ways and conditions got way worse there would be no boat to throw you a line (what are the chances you're out that far?). As I mentioned, sometimes at the end of a dive I will snorkel back to shore to be able to watch the bottom just for the heck of it, or perhaps to poke spear that flounder at the last minute. Then I'm not using tank air when I will want to have that little bit more for the 2nd shore dive on the same tank. So the tank air isn't going back to the shop. These tiny issues are the only reason I bother with the snorkel. I just don't find the hassles of a snorkel to outweigh these things. And so, my points as well illustrate the relative pointlessness of this thread going on so long. I think neither one of us is right or wrong. As far as safety issues, there are way more important topics, such as if and when to use a pony bottle, etc.

yep you are right in terms of pros and cons. for sure. I have found it interesting just how adamant some people are on this topic! I think it is a good thing this thread was created so new divers can look at the discussion from various viewpoints to come to the right conclusion for themselves and not be overly swayed by which ever POV they happen to run into first!

Interesting we have slightly different approaches to shore dives. We are more likely to surface swim out to save tank air but plan our turn around so we follow the bottom to the exit point and surface where we exit. Most of our sites this means a gradual ascent which creates a virtual "safety stop" built in to the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom