snorkel yes, snorkel no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok,
but I'd like to know if YOU bring and WHERE you put it,
on mask side for me is really a p.i.t.a...

On my mask, ready to use. Varried conditions and even with a double hose regulator.

I'm not suggesting you use on if you have no need but I get good use form mine with no downside. I'd be happy to mentor you in snorkel usage if you ever drop by. :)

Pete

When I dive locally I don't take my snorkel. I always take a snorkel with me on a dive trip. I don't want to be in the position of wanting to go snorkeling and not have a snorkel! I just don't use it for diving. But that's my preference if you feel more comfortable with one than use one.

Several have mentioned surface swimming on their back... booooooooooooring...
using a snorkel for surface swims generally lets you watch a much better show, below :)
Rick

Several have mentioned surface swimming on their back... booooooooooooring...
using a snorkel for surface swims generally lets you watch a much better show, below :)
Rick

Not generally where I live ... unless you're in really shallow water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I remember some tidal rapids in the San Juans (Seatle area). I can see those getting out of hand, but hey - you experts who can predict currents, waves, weather, etc. Cool!

I remember some tidal rapids in the San Juans (Seatle area). I can see those getting out of hand, but hey - you experts who can predict currents, waves, weather, etc. Cool!

No ... they're called predictions for a reason.

What we have learned how to do is deal with the conditions we encounter. I've done over 2,000 dives here now in all sorts of conditions and never ... not once ... wished I had a snorkel.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1.) A snorkel allows face-down swimming without having to use your regulator.
2.) A snorkel effectively raises your airway by several inches, without having to use your regulator. This can be helpful in certain wind/sea conditions.

(I) 1 and 2 above can be compensated for by most divers on most dives, so they don't miss their snorkels.

(II) Many divers have limited experience with proper use of a snorkel, do not position it properly, and compound the problem with the use of "foofy" modern snorkels with purges and gimicks that do little to improve on the basic "J" snorkel, and often are worse than the old-stylde snorkels because they are harder to position properly and are less streamlined.

For an example of a "foofy" snorkel, see the one in my avatar picture. It cannot be positioned properly due to an integrated snorkel-keeper, and is too big. I used it for a couple dives, and went back to my 70's vintage plain-Jane "J" snorkel.

Most divers are fine and dandy without a snorkel.

Some of us have used them for many years, find them useful, and do not find them a problem.... the vast majority of my dives have been with snorkel. I find it useful, but others do not.

Each diver gets to choose for themselves; I'm always amused at how heated the "snorkel debate" gets sometimes.

FYI: I dive open water, long-hose (5'), with snorkel. You just need to rig and position the snorkel properly, and be slightly more aware depolying the hose.

Yes, I am a stroke :wink:

Best wishes.

These guys found a use for snorkels at one of our more interesting local sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not generally where I live ... unless you're in really shallow water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Point taken. I wouldn't bother with a snorkel in your area (unless spearfishing). But if you ever make it down to the Caribbean or other clear water areas, you might find looking down from the surface quite interesting, and a snorkel a more worthy companion.
:)
Rick

:rofl3: Thanks for posting that Bob!

And a new specialty card is born.... river log riding!! Snorkel mandatory..... :wink:

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom