snorkel yes, snorkel no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone always pokes fun at me, but I am only $3-400 from Cozumel. :eyebrow:

I'll correct my statement to 'you could live in the middle of a desert with no money' then.

But come on, Texas isn't even landlocked, you don't count :)

I'll correct my statement to 'you could live in the middle of a desert with no money' then.

But come on, Texas isn't even landlocked, you don't count :)
You could fit much of Europe between me and the ocean, and the first 100 miles out isn't worth diving - shallow and murky.

15z2rtl.jpg

I'd take my BC off, lay myself on top of the BC and swim towards shore. I can see where I'm going just fine and I'll be well clear off the surface.

:scared: 'bro, now
I'm calling Padi Standards Police :police:
:D

Snorkel is an essential safety pice of equipment:

No its not.
If you go out far from the boat, in case of current or swell or if you have to swim and you go OOA... without snorkel is a real pain. isn't it?

No it isnt

Also if you are with your students, good example...

I teach students to only take what they need and what is useful on a dive. So i set a good example by not taking a snorkel.

but rarely I see it even on Instructors....

Because most instructors are intelligent enough to realise snorkels are completely useless for diving so dont wear them.
I always start my diving with snorkel on, then I put it in my BC left poket or if I'm with my tech Wings I put it in a back poket.
I'm the only one?

Hopefully yes. Most other people have seen the light.

I don't carry a snorkel on a dive for the same reason i dont carry an electric egg whisk with me on a dive - both are completely pointless and have absolutely no use when diving.

I don't carry a snorkel on a dive for the same reason i dont carry an electric egg whisk with me on a dive - both are completely pointless and have absolutely no use when diving.

:rofl3:

It looks like this thread will convince a lot of newbies not to take their snorkel while scuba diving and everyone else will keep doing what they've been doing for years.

I'm going to try diving without one.

If I don't post anymore after this that means that snorkles work and I died for lack of one.

I'll let guys know either way.

I’m back.

While I did survive, my dive buddy, olderNSaltyer didn’t make it. In true Verne-ian form, we were besieged by a giant architeuthis dux. My buddy screamed as he was dragged to the bottom “Curse you OldNSalty for want of a snorkel a diver is lost to a giant architeuthis dux attack”…or at least that’s what it sounded like. It’s hard to make out a person’s scream through their reg underwater.

As for me, I had sneaked a snorkel in a pocket and in true Earl Flynn style, wielding the plastic tube like a kid with his first plastic light saber, was able to beat down the pursuing beast. Thank you Obi Wan where ever you are.

This is still going on?...

A snorkel is not an essential piece of dive gear. It is an essential piece of snorkeling gear. If you must bring a snorkel. ask yourself why? Then re-evaluate the dive. If a long surface swim is needed to get to the dive site/drop line or what ever you want to call it....Use a boat . Or get a scooter..:wink:. If you need to swim back from said dive...why not swim face down reg in mouth and stay under for the few minutes practice remaining neutral at 4 feet while swimming back to your exit point....your dive has ended anyways..use the gas that is left..no?

if you need a snorkel to dive with - you do not. Yes put it in your pocket if you must...but don't tell me it is an essential piece of dive gear. Nor is it part of a dive plan....learn gas management, learn how to plan your dive and dive within your skill level.

If you need your snorkel because you maybe in rough waters...rethink your dive.
A snorkel is not for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom