Snorkeldive Aruba, anyone??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark: How long did it take you to get to the Antilla and, more importantly, to get back in slightly adverse conditions? I know, the wreck is ~750m out, considered doing it last Aug, but the oil leak that started in Feb, was reportedly still messing up peoples gear, and since I use a WS, I didn't want to take a chance.

AfterDark: How long did it take you to get to the Antilla and, more importantly, to get back in slightly adverse conditions? I know, the wreck is ~750m out, considered doing it last Aug, but the oil leak that started in Feb, was reportedly still messing up peoples gear, and since I use a WS, I didn't want to take a chance.

Wow! It's been a long time since I was there, 1999. I didn't hurry as the water was shallow enough to see the bottom so I kept diving down for a closer look. I'd guess 45 min maybe an hour on the way back. Keep in mind I'm not a dedicated freediver. Someone that is may be able to cover the distance faster. Shame about the oil leak. How'd that work out? When did it happen? You wear a wet suit in Aruba?!:D I enjoyed diving in swim trunks!

That was quick!! The leak was the result of a pretty big storm that hit mid Feb 09 and though minor, it seemed to be persistent, hope it's over by now. Thanks for the trip time info.
As for the wet suit, take a look at my pic, no body fat as insulation, tried w/out WS and lasted about 1/2 hr, I do a lot of bottom time taking pics and the "colder" layers below 2-3m hit me pretty bad, like to be comfy down there and a 3/2 WS does the trick.

Being a bold and now old diver I did swim out to the Antilla and snorkeled around it for 1/2 hour or so took some pics of pipe fish.

I know a few divers that have done the Antilla as a shore dive (entering at Boca Catalina). The swim out to the Antilla was supposedly easy as the surface current takes you to the Antilla. The swim back is more difficult as you are swimming against the surface current and against the wind. Doing the Antilla as a shore dive is quite dangerous IMHO, because of the boat traffic between the Antilla and the shore.

BTW I know nothing about the oil leak. I just know that the Antilla is by far still the most popular dive site in Aruba.

I know a few divers that have done the Antilla as a shore dive (entering at Boca Catalina). The swim out to the Antilla was supposedly easy as the surface current takes you to the Antilla. The swim back is more difficult as you are swimming against the surface current and against the wind. Doing the Antilla as a shore dive is quite dangerous IMHO, because of the boat traffic between the Antilla and the shore.

BTW I know nothing about the oil leak. I just know that the Antilla is by far still the most popular dive site in Aruba.

Well ya know, being in the water is dangerous it's just a matter of degrees. I must have picked a good time I think it was late afternoon because all that time out and back I saw not one boat. In the AM there was a slew of boats at and between the Antilla and shore. To be honest, with all the surface swimming and up and down diving I was more concerned about attracting a shark than meeting boats. Did a 180 now and then to watch my back.

Actually I was swimming at an angle to the current on the way back. The current was pushing me to the left on the way in westerly direction I think as I headed towards shore. I had to swim at about a 15 - 20 degree angle to the right of the direction I needed to go in.

Malmok. Thanks! Being a bold and now old diver I did swim out to the Antilla and snorkeled around it for 1/2 hour or so took some pics of pipe fish. It's a long swim and the tide changed while I was out there and kept pushing me towards (?California point?) lighthouse on the return trip. Made it back no problem just took longer than going out. Nice place and the fish flock to you because they expect to be fed! Maybe someday I'll go back.:cool2:

Love Aruba, it's where I did my first dives. Started out snorkeling and said I just gotta stay down there longer!

Not an issue where you were but go around California point and it gets nasty.

Boat traffic is definitely an issue, in the three yrs that I've done Boca Catalina, my favorite, it picked up noticably. Got the info on the oil leak from a couple of local friends and it's also mentioned on Wannadive.net, not major, but enough to mess up your stuff. Maybe, it subsided by now... . Stichus, what's your take on Mangel Halto reef, my second favorite?

Stichus, what's your take on Mangel Halto reef, my second favorite?

There are two distinct dives that are both referred to as Mangel Halto: The outside reef and the inside bowl.

The outside reef at Mangel Halto is one of the best reefs on the South Coast of Aruba. The Coral is in very good condition from about 25 feet all the way down to about 90 feet, where the corals give way to sand. It is a very nice dive indeed, although the swim out to the reef can be difficult (when done as a shore dive).

The second dive is in a protected area between the reef and the coast (some call it "the bowl"). This is where a lot of people learn to dive, as the area is easily accessible from shore, totally protected and the depth is about 35 feet. A few months ago, a boat about 50 feet in length, was sunk at this place, and this adds some marginal interest to this dive. This dive site might be useful as a check out dive, but other than that, it offers very little, although I have to admit that I have twice seen Spotted Eagle Rays here, while I have never seen a Spotted Eagle Ray on the outherwise stellar outside reef.

Hi Stichus, very informative stuff, we did most of our stints around the two sand channels extending seaward from the bowl( I call it the "hole") and along the bowl edge towards DePalm, where last Aug I actually saw a 3-4 ft Blacktip, two marine biologists who told me later that Blacktips are using the inside area and mangroves as a nursery. Interesting bit about the sunk boat, will definitely check it out on our next trip. Would love to see the eagle rays you mentioned, just that would make diving the hole a bit more worthwhile. Also want to explore the reef sections left and right of the inlet, how far out do the deeper areas begin, so far we haven't been further than 50-75m out and I really want to explore the reef much more extensivly on future trips, as you said, it's absolutely beautiful.

how far out do the deeper areas begin, so far we haven't been further than 50-75m out and I really want to explore the reef much more extensivly on future trips, as you said, it's absolutely beautiful.

The true coral reef (and the beautiful dive) starts in very shallow water, on the South side of the barrier islands (called "Riff" in Aruba) that you see there. Because you have to swim out to the South side (or rather the outside) of the barrier islands, where the area is not protected by the barrier islands, the water can be a little choppy (and you'll get the feeling that you are swimming to Venezuela!). The problem with swimming out is usually the strong surface current pushing you back into the bay. The swim out is probably 150 meters or more. You should probably go with a dive guide the first time you dive there.

Here, you'll find some more information on Mangel Halto:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/Mangel_Halto_Reef/index.htm

For the record, in the first image on that page, the Catamaran and the other boats are moored right above the "bowl", where the new wreck is located. For the coral reef, you'll need to swim out in an area not shown in the image, but it would be to the far left in this image.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom