Snorkeler Killed by Sharks in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I love most about the quality of internet "investigations" into, specifically, diving accidents:

1. Extensive discussion here (and I've only skimmed the posts) about a connection between shark feeding and the attack even though there's not been any documentation (at least none that I've seen) about shark feeding going on anywhere nearby the attack site.

The problem is people don't read the threads, they skim. :wink:

No one made a direct connection to the shark feeding dives, rather they, myself included, speculate the possibility of it playing a role. There's is no documentation that feeding sharks doesn't alter their behavior. However, we know it does happen with other large predators so either sharks are just really really dumb man eaters, or we should be exploring the possibility. As I posted earlier, permanent identifying (color) dorsal tags on fed sharks would help us determine if these same sharks are the ones responsible for attacks, especially in crystal clear open water like where the attack happened. In other words, we need to do some research and I hope that there is not a connection, but it can't be ruled out and if we find that the majority of the S. Florida and Bahama attacks that happen every year are predominately fed sharks, well...

FWIW, there's a shark feeding operation nearby the site of the attack.

And finally, I agree about your points on menstrual cycle and sharks. It's nonsense. Fish blood is not the same as human blood.

How reliable is the claim that Tiger sharks were involved? Also, could pigs be a factor?

Shark behavior video. The bit about sensing blood and reactions to human blood starts at about 11:15

Thank you so much for sharing this. What an excellent presentation!

Let’s apply Occam’s razor, and ask what’s the more likely explanation for this shark incident: (1) that the victim was menstruating, (2) that there is a shark feeding dive operation over a hundred miles away, or (3) that the victim was snorkeling with PIGS?

Let’s apply Occam’s razor, and ask what’s the more likely explanation for this shark incident: (1) that the victim was menstruating, (2) that there is a shark feeding dive operation over a hundred miles away, or (3) that the victim was snorkeling with PIGS?
Stuart's cove is around 20 miles away from Rose Island, not 100.

It's interesting I couldn't find an article on any pigs being eaten.

Three attacks in one week in the Bahamas. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the summer plays out.

How about we drop menstruation from the discussion. 1. It is an old wive’s tale from fifty years ago that has long been debunked. 2. We are talking about a girl who died in terrible manner. Let’s show some respect.
Seriously. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom