Snorkeler Killed by Sharks in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to know how they know which shark attacked her and if it is because it's still hanging around, how is it others aren't being discouraged from snorkeling at the same spot?

If you're curious about periods I'd be happy to set any misconceptions you have straight over PM or we can move this to the women's thread, but beyond that I think we should show a bit more respect for this young woman and not go any further on this thread.

Nice explanation, DBPacific. But I'll disagree about moving this to a PM or the women's thread. I think it IS respectful to this and other women that we clear up misconceptions in a place where males will see the info. We've got men who think women actually swim with pads, so there's clearly a long way to go. Why do guys even need to know or care? Well, until they understand, we end up with posts that imply that "maybe she had her period and shouldn't have been in the water." So I think we need to be as open about this as discussions of whether feeding sharks, swimming alone, being at the surface or underwater, etc. were contributing factors, especially if the proposed factor suggests women should maybe stay out of the water if they have their period.

So, just a couple of points about our biology that are hopefully enlightening.

1. Over the course of an entire day, menstrual fluid is at most a few milliliters, even on heavy days. For you non-scientists, that is a TINY amount and it is also mostly not blood, but water and cells from the uterine lining. See the link in my prior post for perspective on what that means diluted in a pool, much less the ocean.

2. MOST WOMEN STOP MENSTRUATING IN THE WATER. Being submerged causes the vaginal opening to close, so fluids aren't moving in or out. For this reason, some of us don't even bother with cups or tampons when swimming or diving. (Cups are not too common and tampon strings can wick in seawater, which can mess up pH and cause irritation over the course of multiple dives). This also means being "surprised" is irrelevant.

As more and more women participate in water sports, there will be more incidents involving women. But hopefully we can avoid discouraging or frightening women from participating because of periods. Most of us DO swim, snorkel, and dive with our periods and it isn't and shouldn't be a limitation.

This shark attack survival is a very inspirational.

One thing I learnt from this is Paige survived the attack with loss one of her legs because her father, with his experience as fire fighter and paramedic, got to the scene quickly, punched the shark on the nose to release her from the bite grip, dragged her out of the water, stopped the loss of blood by putting tourniquet around her severed leg with a belt donated by one of bystanders.

Not knowing the detail of the rescue, I'm just wondering, had Jordan loss of blood from severed arm been controlled quickly by similar method, would she have survived?

Tourniquet - Wikipedia
image.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom