Snorkliing in Destin, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of snorkeling and scuba diving done at the Destin jetties, specifically the east side. It’s a little walk from the parking area but a great snorkeling area. Just make sure you snorkel at slack tide – the current can rip through that area at times. The best chance for good visibility is high slack tide.

In my "younger" days I did a number of days snorkeling the longer West Jetty. You park on the other side of the Destin (Marler) Br. and walk the beach to the jetty. You probably don't want to go at mid tide since that's when it really rips. But some current can be very good IF IF IF .... you bring your flip flops. You can ride the current out and then make the arduous jetty walk back in your flip flops. Or walk out and ride the incoming tide back in. I found out the hard way in 2002 that it's not at all wise to ride the current out and walk back without footwear.......After THAT---- In the water I kept the flip flops in my shell collecting bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom