So How Did DEMA Get So Big That Oceanic Can't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
ship a lousy replacement battery cover for over 2 weeks due to it?

Here's the deal: I own 3 Versa Pro 2 consoles. My wife's battery indicator got down to 1 bar, time for a battery. Now, this one hasn't been used much, but it was sent back for the recall last year & I have no idea if they sent me the same comp back of a replacement unit or what, but she's only logged about 25 dive total in, before & after recall.

Anywhoozle, battery is dying so we finally get to learn how to replace one. I decide to take it to my LDS so I can watch how it's done this time & avoid mistakes in the future. The tech gets the comp out of the console & we both discover that the plastic battery cover has a crack in it. Presumably it came back from the recall with this crack, dunno. It's the back, where nothing can get to it inside the console, so it simply isn't possible that we caused it. Perhaps a flaw in the plastic allowed it to develop due to the pressure from the dives? No way to know, I guess.

OK, the comp hasn't leaked yet, no prob. We just need a new cover. Tech calls Oceanic right then, tells me he should have it in a few days. I go back a week later, no cover. One PO'd tech. He's been told that due to DEMA everyone's been so busy that it's going to take 10 days just to get someone to drop the part in the mail.

Good thing my wife is working the next few weekends & doesn't have the time to squeeze in a dive.

But after years of hearing -including from my LDS- about how good Oceanic support is, this sure has me wondering about the reality of that. Does the whole bloody company pack up & go to the show or what?

That's just wrong. Let me get this straight. DEMA is about introducing new stuff and re-pitching existing stuff, taking nice big orders from vendors and then, hopefully, having that stuff bought by ... US! IMO those of us who already own Oceanic equipment shouldn't be forced onto the back burner. That just poor customer service, plain and simple.

I'd wait to hear from Oceanic before I took the LDS's explanation as gospel.

That's just wrong. Let me get this straight. DEMA is about introducing new stuff and re-pitching existing stuff, taking nice big orders from vendors and then, hopefully, having that stuff bought by ... US! IMO those of us who already own Oceanic equipment shouldn't be forced onto the back burner. That just poor customer service, plain and simple.

Get used to it...... Not just oceanic, the industry itself seems to be heading that way.

At least we don't have a dive vacation planned or we'd be hosed. I'd end up buying a new comp for her to use.

I forwarded this thread to the in house customer service gents. Believe me when I tell you that the response about our inability to send out a part due to DEMA is way out of the ordinary from us and I think most folks here on Scubaboard would agree. Our in house employees at Oceanic have consistently and often go the extra mile for our customers and I can state with confidence that customer satisfaction is a priority at Oceanic. I am sure you will be hearing from someone soon regarding the battery hatch.

Cordially,
Darryl Bowerman

I forwarded this thread to the in house customer service gents. Believe me when I tell you that the response about our inability to send out a part due to DEMA is way out of the ordinary from us and I think most folks here on Scubaboard would agree. Our in house employees at Oceanic have consistently and often go the extra mile for our customers and I can state with confidence that customer satisfaction is a priority at Oceanic. I am sure you will be hearing from someone soon regarding the battery hatch.

Cordially,
Darryl Bowerman

Good answer! Wayward Son ... I hope you're able to get your problem straightened out soon. Keep us posted. Hopefully their response will live up to Darryl's comments.

I am an Oceanic customer and will most likely be buying even more Oceanic equipment in the future and I'd like to hope I can comfidently rely on them providing me with outstanding customer service if I ever need it. It's one of the reasons I chose their product.

Well, as much as we'd like to present the image of the corporate scuba giant, we're not, and unfortunately this time of year with new price lists, programs, products, catalogs, and yes, a trade show - we all chip in , and sometimes our "day jobs" suffer a bit. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

From your point of view - you're absolutely 100% right to be frustrated, the factory could be burning down, that's not your problem. Please PM me - I'll get the part out to your LDS or to you if you prefer today.

Thanks for the opportunity to fix this.

Doug

Less than two hours response time....

Like to hear the final outcome.

I've learned that it pays to go right to the top in Customer Service matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom