So, tell me about fins . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
No seaweed? Toss something that floats into the water--a stick, perhaps

Ha, Ha...You go and fetch the stick Sparticle...then go and find a couple of points to measure between and tell me what the current was when I get back in the boat after my dive:)

I have used 4 different fins, Tusa Imprex, Scubapro Jets, Tusa Xpert Zooms, and Scubapro Twin Jets, of the 4 the xpert zooms were the fastest, and the SP twin jets are the most comfortable. I have no problem in current with either of the splits. I did have problem with the Imprex and SP jets with leg cramps. For most dives I use the SP twin jets w/ spring straps. They do have a smaller foot pocket so I use the xpert zooms when dry suit diving, with rock boots because of their larger foot pockets. I would highly reccomend spring straps, they do make alot of difference in comfort. Thats my .02 worth, like mentioned before rent or borrow and try different fins and remember splits do take a different kick to get the most out of them.

rawls:
Ha, Ha...You go and fetch the stick Sparticle...then go and find a couple of points to measure between and tell me what the current was when I get back in the boat after my dive:)
As said before, it's an estimate. Personally I believe that knowing the current is quite important, and this only takes a few seconds, namely 6. Hardly worth skipping this step, don't you think?

edit: I can see the confusion about the stick reference. If you're in the ocean obviously it'd be difficult to go find a stick. Toss a potato chip/orange peel/apple slice etc in the water, or spit in the water over the side of the boat. Anything that floats works fine.
I was using the stick reference for river diving/shore diving.

SP Twin Jets for sale (xl open heel) - $100 (msrp $189?), used twice. Wanted - the Mares full foot HP's stolen from me last week.

Jets are excellent for manoeverabilty, they last forever and their negative buoyancy is good for trim. However they are a long way from being the most powerful, as many magazine tests have proven.

The most popular fins among dive instructors and dive guides in the world are Mares Quattros. These still score very high in power tests, they are good for manoeverabilty, they are durable and they are quite light for travelling with.

Split fins give good power however they are no good for manoevering and the split forms a line trap. They should not be used in wrecks and caves.

Heel springs are a lot better than straps in every way. If you don't have them yet you are missing out big style.

Frog kicking is not the most powerful. With a glide it is the most efficient.

SparticleBrane:
As said before, it's an estimate. Personally I believe that knowing the current is quite important, and this only takes a few seconds, namely 6. Hardly worth skipping this step, don't you think?

edit: I can see the confusion about the stick reference. If you're in the ocean obviously it'd be difficult to go find a stick. Toss a potato chip/orange peel/apple slice etc in the water, or spit in the water over the side of the boat. Anything that floats works fine.
I was using the stick reference for river diving/shore diving.

If one is in a river, I suppose that he must use a method similar to the stick/orange peel version. In a boat, however, the simplest method of estimating current is to use a GPS. Simply let the boat drift and the GPS's speed function will give a very accurate indication of the current speed. Allowance must be made for the effects of wind on the vessel, but it is quick, simple, and quite accurate.

Before GPS we used the boat's speedometer (knotmeter). This only worked with an anchored boat, but we did not have to consider the effects of wind.

Incidentally, most divers vastly overestimate the speed of the current. 1.5 knots is a fairly stiff current. Few divers in full gear will comfortably go very far into a current of this magnitude no matter what is on their feet.

Most people overestimate current speed. If a diver turned his face sideways to a 1.5 knott current, the current probably would break the seal on your mask, causing it to flood, and possibly twist the mask off your face. A half to three quarter knott current is a stiff current, but a 1.5 current is ripping. Even Jet fins or Quattros will require extreme effort to propel a diver against such a strong current. Bob :palmtree:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom