So what's the word on the $195 Aqua Lung i-100 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I realize that most folks here don't much appreciate the budget/beginner computers, and the Z algo and single button operation aren't very popular either. But, as I understand, Aqua Lung computers have a decent reputation (or at least better than a number of others that most owners somehow seem happy with.)
I'm reluctant to take a chance on something more popular, on the used market, and prefer brand new with warranty (especially for stuff i can't fix with a couple tools and a U-tube video :D).
I'm not working in the water anymore, and I'm in no danger of doing any 6-tank days on a live-aboard, so I don't need every bell and whistle made, download capability, etc.
I'm just looking for a reliable computer that'll do the job, and is economical. This one seems to fit the bill (though nobody anyhwere can tell me what battery it uses, or how long they last.) In fact, I called Aqua LungUSA on the phone, and the guy was like, "Huh? i100? Is that one of ours?" even though it's on their website.
Anyway, it looks to have sufficient features (see below) and I'm wondering if there's any reason to avoid it.
(reviews are also virtually non-existent).

• 4 operating modes. Air, Nitrox, Gauge and Free Dive (tracks calculations to allow switching between DIVE and Free)
  • User changeable battery and data retention. Maintains settings and calculations between battery changes
  • Audible alarms and additional high-visibility LED warning light for increased safety
  • Pre-Dive planning feature allows a preview of your next dive
  • Water activation feature, to give a no-worries start to the dive
  • Single button press access to last dive display (max depth and bottom time)
  • History Mode includes total number of dives, max depth, total dive hours and lowest temperature
  • Nitrox mix to 100% O2
  • Optional deep stop with countdown timer
  • Salt or fresh water dive selection
  • Automatic altitude adjustment ensures an accurate profile
  • DEPTH: 330 Feet (100 Meters)

From my research, it doesn't have Bluetooth and no backlighting but has everything else for the average recreational diver at a great price point. If I were shopping for a computer as an entry to mid-level diver, I'd buy the i300C as the main computer and the i100 as the backup. Both are from AL.

The current Aqualung computers are the old Oceanic computers. i100 is a Veo 1.0, i200 is a Geo 2.0. My wife had an even older version of the same PC (Aeris XR1-nx I bellieve) and it worked fine for years (still does), just got sick of the 1 button interface when we started diving nitrox more regularly.

I don't know if the i100 / Veo 1 is afflicted by this or not but there is a semi-common problem among some cheaper DC's that I'd try and avoid if possible. Some of them will reset to "air" every time you surface. Not a problem if you're actually diving air, but if you're on nitrox it can be an issue.

Check leisure pro (just for an idea even if you don't want to buy from them). They list six computers that are cheaper than $200. Two of them are considerably cheaper than the i100. I've never heard of "genesis" dive computers, but there's a Mares for $149. Unless you really like Aqua Lung, then consider saving an extra $50.

Bottom line is that any of these inexpensive computers will do all you need them to do I am sure. Even if you do decide to go on a LOB and do six dives a day.

Mares for $149. Unless you really like Aqua Lung, then consider saving an extra $50.

Mares computes run a more conservative version of the RGBM algorithm. that is even more conservative than Suunto computers. We had Cressi's and Mares and we won't use or buy more of them in the future.

AquaLung owns Pelagic Systems, so all other brands are manufactured by AquaLung. The shop I’m affiliated with is an AL shop, so I’ve had the opportunity to own/use/dive most of their computers. If I wanted an all around computer I would go with the i300C despite the additional $100. A little more robust and the additional features are worth it. I own a first issue i300 and a Black i450. Like them both, but the i300 is a great buy for the money.

AquaLung owns Pelagic Systems, so all other brands are manufactured by AquaLung. The shop I’m affiliated with is an AL shop, so I’ve had the opportunity to own/use/dive most of their computers. If I wanted an all around computer I would go with the i300C despite the additional $100. A little more robust and the additional features are worth it. I own a first issue i300 and a Black i450. Like them both, but the i300 is a great buy for the money.
As long as PZ+ is the right decompression algorithm for you. Oceanic VEO 2.0 is the same computer, same cost, runs both DSAT and PZ+

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom