So who is the better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just interested to hear some thoughts and philosophies regarding your "ideal" diver. What skills are most admired by you?

Attitude ... it's the one thing you can't learn in a diving class, it has to come from within. Skills can be learned ... and they're only worthwhile if they're properly applied. It's the mental approach that matters most to me.

My version of an "ideal" diver is someone I wouldn't hesitate pairing up with somebody I love. Someone I could intrinsically trust with that person who's really, really important to me.

That does, of course, imply a certain level of competence. But more so it implies somebody who exhibits due care in choosing their dive site, planning their dive, making sure that they and their buddy are properly prepared for the dive (mentally as well as physically), and who can be trusted to conduct the dive in a responsible manner. It's someone who thinks in terms of "our" dive rather than "my" dive ... who follows the dive plan, who positions themselves to be seen, communicates to be understood, and in all ways performs in what I'd call "predictable behavior" ... because that's what makes diving with that person enjoyable and stress-free.

My "ideal" dive buddy isn't going to be based on their equipment choices, which agency they trained with, or how many dives they've done ... it's going to be based on their emotional stability, their willingness to conduct the dive as part of a team, and an overall congenial personality ... in other words, somebody I can relax and have fun with.

All that other stuff can be learned easily enough ... assuming we choose dive sites and circumstances that require additional learning ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My solo partner has NEVER made a mistake--& is not even an air hog, stays pretty much like me....

Personally I don't think acclimitization to a set gear configuration necessarily results in a good diver. IMHO a good diver is able to adapt to a variety of gear configurations and do a competent job of diving.

I have never strived to become like an underwater ballet dancer... that is for synchronized swimmers. Of course that is also one reason I prefer to dive solo so no one sees me fumbling about.

Diving is about being comfortable in the gear and in the water since my primary reason for diving is to study and record the marine life both for science and for public education. Of course a reasonable level of skill is required to take good video, especially in fragile environments like coral reefs.

i dont consider a good or "ideal" diver to be rated by how comfortable or proficient he is with a cretin or different types of gear. i care more about being very comfortable in the water in that he or she is aware of whats going one and can cope with stress when a situation presents it self. Also good breathing and team skills as well as proficiency with basic skills is a must.

For me, the "best diver" has excellent knowledge of the equipment with which he dives, and keeps it in good repair. In addition the best diver has a skill level for buoyancy, trim, swim technique and otherwise that is "automatic," essentially effortless due to mastery. The best diver has a habit of monitoring his depth, gas, and time on a regular basis and is always aware of his buddy's location and activity and is in close proximity to that buddy at all times. The best diver will not start the dive without making and reviewing the dive plan with his buddy, and doing a thorough pre-dive check, whether he has dove with the buddy 100 times or this is the first time. I take this view because my definition of the "best diver" is the best diver for me to dive with on a particular dive. If I am in 82 degree tropical water, I don't care how competent my buddy is in a dry suit. I agree it's good to be familiar and competent in all kinds of gear, if you are going to be diving in conditions which require or suggest that gear. I have 4 scuba set ups: Pool gear, my recreational cold water gear, my recreational tropical gear, and my teaching gear ( featuring a Sea Quest Balance Pro BCD that can lift an airplane ). I do not have training or familiarity with any gas more exotic than nitrox; have not used a bp and wing, and don't care to, and have not had any re-breather training. I am familiar with what I use where I dive, and for me that is enough.
DivemasterDennis

The better diver:

a) properly assesses the diving conditions before getting into the water;
b) is physically and mentally prepared to dive under the conditions present;
c) is capable of undertaking the dive through training and experience;
d) creates a detailed dive plan that's acceptable to the team and adheres to it;
e) is confident in his equipment/gas and not overconfident in his abilities;
f) is aware of his safe diving envelope and dives within it;
g) will thumb a dive when it's reasonable to do so;
h) continues to gain diving experience and knowledge (understanding that there is always more to learn);
i) is concerned for the welfare of himself, his buddy and the environment; and
j) is courteous to everyone.

If the diver dives safe, comes back each time, is a good buddy, does not harm the environment and enjoys the diving, who cares ?

The ideal diver fills out her wetsuit (or drysuit) just right.

Back
Top Bottom