So....who's keeping fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mix up 20-45 minutes of aerobic and strength training 6 days a week with most of my emphasis on strength workouts that are done fast enough to keep my heart rate elevated to aerobic levels. At my age and having been through 2 back surgeries and 2 broken backs the most important work out I do that helps for my diving is at least 100 crunches a day and 400 crunches every other day since I’m too broken down now to do full sit ups without doing more back damage. Without my regular abs workouts lugging a tank around on a boat gives me a lower back ache.

I don't have a real job :), so I get to bicycle an average of 32 miles just about every day. I have to start doing something for upper body though.

Brandnew2Scuba:
I've been running three times a week, swimming three times a week and eating a lower carb diet for the past month, I've lost 10 pounds, I'm shooting for another 15. I also meditate for a minimum of 20 minutes per day, I've been doing this for about a year or so. I've been told it helps with air consumption, I find it helps all areas of my life, I don't feel right if I miss a day.

Oh ya, I also quit smoking, three weeks now and going strong! :D

Two sessions of Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and two sessions of Stand-Up fighting (mainly Escrima/Kali, Western Boxing, Vunak's Progressive Fighting Systems).

Keeps the mind and the body sharp.

I'd totally recommend BJJ as a phenomenal all-round workout...and the added benefits of a group based workout, keep you motivated when you'd rather take it easier. Since every move has a counter, and there is a counter to the counter, etc., it is like a chess game...the learning curve is huge...most anyone who has been training longer than you kick's you butt so it keeps you humble and if you want to get better, you have to keep at it. Also it has some really great direct applications to diving...when you get in trouble, if you stop, think, breathe, you'll often figure out how to extricate yourself...if you panic, you tend to get "tapped".

30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week.
Pilates 1 day a week
Free weights 2 times a week.

I want to get some yoga in there too. I don't really think this is enough, but I only have 1 hour for lunch, which is the best time for me to get my exercise in since I am not a morning person and won't do it before work, and after work, I'm usually too tired and hungry, except for my Pilates class which is after work.

It seems to get harder every year to stay fit. I was getting the doughnut bulge a few years ago and have managed to get rid of it and keep it off. I still have a swing of around 5# up to 10#. I get weak and eat some sort of garbage in a cellophane wrapper, which of course leads to chicken wings and brews. Then I am up 6# which as you all know takes MUCH more effort to lose than gain.

I run 2 miles about three times a week with the intent to go every other day. I hate to run, but I do it. Eliptical machies and all that jazz are not the same as road running.

I run my two miles with at least part of the run being a short sprint. In the job I could be sitting in the car close to a beta brain wave then SUDDENLY be running full sprint.

I found with 25# less fat my diving was much better in general not just in air usage. Actually everything is much better without the doughnut bulge.

Back
Top Bottom