So....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dive to any depth where I don't think I'm capable with or without a buddy. In other words, whether I am alone or not has no bearing on what depth I'll dive.

Bill expressed revervations about saying what his deepest was. I don't have any reservations. LOL, I'm just not saying. I'll say this much...I wasn't breathing air.

Probably no deeper than 50' looking for bugs...

If memory serves weren't most of the dives in the books about the Andrea Doria solo dives? Some were solo from the surface and some from some point when they reached the hull?

The guy(Cathay/China? Airlines Captain) diving the hole in South Africa were down deeper than 300', 320' I think, on rebreather. First dive worked well. But he bought it on the second dive which was an attempt to set some kind of body recovery on rebreather record.

Interestingly on a recent flight I was seated next to one of his fellow Captains who was on his way home to Canada for his time off. It was interesting hearing his take on the other Captain's personality and attitude and how it affected his work as an airline Captain.

Even with all this I too have a problem with a question like this. To me depth is something that is needed to see what I want to see or to accomplish a particular mission. It is not some goal to achieve to prove how macho/macha a person is.

ArcticDiver:
If memory serves weren't most of the dives in the books about the Andrea Doria solo dives? Some were solo from the surface and some from some point when they reached the hull?

The guy(Cathay/China? Airlines Captain) diving the hole in South Africa were down deeper than 300', 320' I think, on rebreather. First dive worked well. But he bought it on the second dive which was an attempt to set some kind of body recovery on rebreather record.

Interestingly on a recent flight I was seated next to one of his fellow Captains who was on his way home to Canada for his time off. It was interesting hearing his take on the other Captain's personality and attitude and how it affected his work as an airline Captain.

Even with all this I too have a problem with a question like this. To me depth is something that is needed to see what I want to see or to accomplish a particular mission. It is not some goal to achieve to prove how macho/macha a person is.

My posting the question was simply that...a question---'how deep has your deepest solo dive been'....nothing macho there in asking that question. I bet your visit with the airline captain was interesting to say the least.

Somewhere around 60ft. Will probably go a bit deeper in the near future now that I have gear better suited for it(some 50cuft tanks to use as pony bottles). I tend to stay shallower and be much more conservative when solo.

~Jess

texdiveguy:
My posting the question was simply that...a question---'how deep has your deepest solo dive been'....nothing macho there in asking that question. I bet your visit with the airline captain was interesting to say the least.

Sometimes asking a question and the way in which it is asked conveys a deeper meaning. In this case you phrased it in the macho/macha goal setting framework. Otherwise it wouldn't matter.

Had it been phrased like: "How deep do you feel comfortable diving solo?" I wouldn't have had the same reaction. Sorry if I misunderstood.

ArcticDiver:
Sometimes asking a question and the way in which it is asked conveys a deeper meaning. In this case you phrased it in the macho/macha goal setting framework. Otherwise it wouldn't matter.

Had it been phrased like: "How deep do you feel comfortable diving solo?" I wouldn't have had the same reaction. Sorry if I misunderstood.

LOL...no problem,,,,no intent for macho....I am not into that. Read my bio., I am a very serious and intense diver.

ArcticDiver:
. . . To me depth is something that is needed to see what I want to see or to accomplish a particular mission. It is not some goal to achieve to prove how macho/macha a person is.

Ditto that.

On any given weekend in the Northeast (as well as other places) a crew member or co-captain on a dive boat is doing a solo dive to set a hook or tie in. That's the "mission" regardless of depth. It's not about depth; 60' or 260', the wrecks end up on the bottom and that's where the "job" is.

Frankly speaking, I think shallower is better! More light, more time, more critters, less stress. If all wrecks were in 60fsw or less I wouldn't complain.:D . . . But they're not, so we go where they are.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom