Soaking quick disconnect AI computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrx3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can AI computerwith quick disconnect and the regulator be soaked separately, i.e. disconnected?
Would there be anything preventing water from entering either computer or HP hose, causing damage?

Apologies if this was discussed, I could not find an answer.

The Scubapro QD seals the HP hose but does not seal the downstream device. The computer must be connected to be protected.

Have you looked in your manual? Seems like this might be something they would mark with a triangle enclosed "!" when mentioning the quick disconnect feature.

Manual for the computer that came with a purchase did not cover the quick disconnect. Even though "factory installed", it is a separate item. However, it also occurred to me that there may be a separate quick disconnect manual, so I looked it up. Lo-and-behold, there was one.

There are no warnings, but there is a "post dive procedure" that says to keep computer connected to the hose while soaking, and disconnect only when out of the water and fairly dry.

Considering that it is fairly easy for qd to separate without air pressure, there seems to be a non-trivial chance of destroying expensive device that way. Guess I'll have to be extra careful.

I'm pretty sure that soaking my ProPlus disconnected is how water got in and destroyed it. I am ditching the quick disconnect in favor of a regular hose.

Unless they've changed something on a newer version my Oceanic QD console was wide open - both hose and console side - when not connected (not that it matters but I've long since gotten rid of it).

If you want to be certain hook it up to a tank without the console attached and crack the valve - most likely you'll have air jetting out the open hose end.

Last edited:
On the Atomic Cobalt the HP sensor is exposed when the QD is disconnected, but it's a ceramic element that won't be harmed by water. It's possible to dive with the HP disconnected- though you would want to prevent salt buildup in the fitting by rinsing and blowing it out. I don't know what kind of sensor Pelagic uses, but I would think that it would be fairly resistant to water, given the environment in which dive computers are used. It would be hard to keep the odd drop from getting in.

Ron

I was told by an Aeris rep that the ai is sealed and I could dive with it clipped to my BC when I didn't have it connected to the QD hose with no problems. I did three dives recently this way with no problems. YMMV

I've been separately soaking my Cobra 2 ever since I bought it five or so years ago, and never had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom