SoCal dive boat recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be traveling to southern california in a few weeks and was looking for recommendations on which dive boats have the best reputations these days. I would prefer one that I could sleep on the night before the trip so to save on a motel if possible. Also, I would rather stay a little further south of Ventura-not a deal breaker just preferable. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

'bob

sundiver (I) and Magician:

Dive Boat Sundiver
Magician Dive Boat San Pedro CA

i know you want to save the night, but based on price, and maybe to have the opportunity to do something else arround, i'd still consider a cheap motel and go with the sundiver express:
1) it is usually cheaper if booked directly
2) it is MUCH faster when going to Catalina for a 3 dives, so you are back early/mid afternoon.

And you have done a decent night before diving, while the bunks of the 2 others are, well, not as comfortable.

Consider also what you want to see and where you want to go.

If you like diving - and camping - all rolled into one... consider the Sand Dollar...

sdlr-03.jpg

Located in San Pedro, just 20 minutes from LAX.

The Sand Dollar

You can board the boat the night before the trip. Have some snacks, a beer or two, and bunk down. (You'll need to bring such items as pillow and blankets if you so desire.) Trip dependent, but the boat leaves around 2am. You'll wake up at the dive site... to the smell of pancakes and bacon.

Do two dives. Have some lunch. Do a third dive. During the ride back you can have some snacks and a beer or two.

If the trip is a two or three day trip..."Lather. Rinse. Repeat."

Sundiver (Check on availability of sleeping on it the night before- they've never said no to me.)
Bottom Scratcher and Great Escape are always open the night before.

The Sundiver, Magician and Peace are all very fine. All have bunks and excellent crews. You cannot go wrong.

Can't gp wrong on the Magician. My favorite boat. Service is always top notch, great boat and crew. Get their the night before and sleep on the boat that way you have a bunk to crash in on the way over and back. I dive the Magician anytime I want a boat ride.

Bob, you can't go wrong with any mentioned so far....here is a link to most of the California boats:

California Dive Boats : The Official Page

Let us know when and where, in case one of us will be on the same trip so we can say "hey".

I really like The Great Escape because it has a camera table and the crew is great.

Dove the Magician for the first time last week. Unfortunately, it was a Sport Chalet charter, so I didn't really get to see how they normally operate. I really don't care for Sport Chalet charters.

The Spectre is in Ventura, but I like their weekday trips when I can make them.

I really like The Great Escape because it has a camera table and the crew is great.

Dove the Magician for the first time last week. Unfortunately, it was a Sport Chalet charter, so I didn't really get to see how they normally operate. I really don't care for Sport Chalet charters.

The Spectre is in Ventura, but I like their weekday trips when I can make them.

I share your sentiments. The site selection with the Magician is less than desirable due in part to the influence of the Sport Chalet classes. Nice boat, nice crew. Food is OK. Cost a bit high due to Sports Chalet.

The Great Escape has 6 private cabins you can reserve. These are ideal for sleeping over the night before since you are isolated from others coming in later in the night or the wee hours of the morning. The boat is slightly slower, but the food quality makes up for it. Older boat, larger boat with lots of extra room. Really nice crew.

I am diving with Sun Diver for the first time on the 16th due to their schedule. I only had Friday free and the choices during the week are limited. They re a little cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom