Softening a nylon weight belt.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I hope someone out there can help me.
I received a new weight belt for Christmas and the nylon is as stiff as board.
Does any body have any ideas as how to make it more pliable?
I tried boiling it for 1/2 an hour but no joy.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

Agree. Keep it hard! It will work better that way

Yup, what they^ said. A stiff belt keeps the weights in place, from shifting around while it's on, as well as from sliding right off the belt onto the boat deck (or onto someone's foot) which they can easily do with a very soft,pliable belt.
And, if you're wearing a suit, you won't notice it anyway, and if you're not wearing a suit, it won't matter much either way, comfort-wise.

Interesting and a bit weird. I haven't read of this problem in over 10 years on SB. All the weight belts I've seen students and other divers use just seemed normal. I use a pocket belt and suspenders myself, which is great. Maybe there really is something wrong with the belt?

See if you can return your boiled belt and get yourself a rubber Marseillaise weight belt. Safer, more comfortable and no chance of the weights sliding to your front when in trim. I’ve recommended the switch to dive buddies and they still thank me to this day.

Agreed on rubber belts. Compensates at depth and doesn't slip.

Stiff nylon or rubber belt, both good choices, don't mess with perfection.

Bob

It will seem a lot less stiff with lead on it. They do break in a bit over time, but the stiffness helps support the weight. I am not sure what boiling a piece of nylon was going to do...

Back
Top Bottom