softwear undergarment

One piece or two piece undergarment?

• one piece

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • two piece

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab once bubbled...
I am just now in the market for some new undies. Can anyone have anyone give me some anecdotal evidence of how the 300gm suit will do in 38-45 F water. I would be wearing some poly long underwear under it.

After UP, I'm one of the first folks to buy a set from Janice. First of all, the fit/finish of these things are awesome, as has been mentioned.

Originally, Janice was selling single-layer and dual-layer setups, but I believe now she's only selling the single-layer types. UP has a two-piece dual-layer setup, with the inner layer being micro-fleece. (See old ScubaBoard postings describing how soft they are).

I couldn't afford the two-layer, so I bought a single-layer setup, which I used when diving with him in Seattle. That setup along with a bottom layer of light-weight polypro worked fine in the *warm* waters of the PNW. However, when I got back home, I found that I got cold when doing shore-dives in the somewhat cooler water in Montana once the temperatures dropped below about 48 degrees. I added a set of heavy-weight polypros on top of the light-weight set, but once the temps got below 42 degrees I again got chilled rather easily.

Since then, I've (again) used Pug's lead and exchanged my lightweight polypros with a set of micro-fleece liners (2-piece) which I wear as my bottom layer (replacing the light-weight polypros) and have found that this works *MUCH* better. Unfortunately, I did have to add another 2# of weight to my rig as the micro-fleece were just a *tiny* bit more buoyant than the lightweight polys. (I suspect 1# would have been enough, but I didn't have 1/2# weights for each pocket).

I'm now diving in 34 degree water (ice-diving) with the three layers, and am the warmest diver in my group, even though I don't *have* to fluff my garment's way up like the other divers and have buoyancy problems at the end of the dive.

I haven't (yet) attempted a dive without the third layer, but I'm planning on trying a dive with just the micro-fleece and the Softwear 300G when the ice comes off the lake.

As with all things regarding warmth, keeping warm is a very individual thing. One person could be fine in the 300G garments with no other layers, but others need another couple of layers.

To me, the addition of the microfleece vs. the polypros made a *huge* difference in the warmth factor. Way more than I could have imagined, and the fleece are just as stretchy and don't effect my dexterity negatively.

Nate

...just adding a fleece vest over the UG. This keeps the torso warmer while not unduely affecting buoyancy or restricting movement. The arms and legs don't need as much thermal protection.

Don't forget that the hood and gloves (dry gloves are best) are very important in regards to keeping warm.

Thanks for the info...

I think I will start with the 300g one piece with the poly long-johns under it. I think, as UP mentioned, that the additon of dry gloves should make a significant difference in overall warmth.

My new DUI 450 should be delivered in the next two weeks. With any luck, I should be able to order the undies and gloves in the mean time and have everything ready to go when the suit arrives.

WARM regards,

Well i am pleased to announce i stayed perfectly comfy in my 300 gm undies in 54 deg water.I think an add on vest would be nice for slightly more warmth but not really necessary.I never felt chilled but could feel the cold at times if i was not moving while looking under rocks and such.Once i started kicking slightly i warmed right back up.Great pair of undies :D

Forgot to add my dive time was 53min in 54deg water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom