Solo and the Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glaucus

Registered
Reaction score
I've been solo diving now for a while now and generally use my steel 72 with an AL30 pony as my redundant supply. Currently I have a primary and back-up reg off my 72 and one reg off my 30. While I do dive with other people using the same 72/30 setup, I wonder if I can lose my octopus regulator leaving only one reg from each tank?

My thought is that while solo diving if my primary craps out, I switch to pony and abort the dive. If I'm with a buddy who needs air (God forbid I find myself in that situation), he gets my primary reg (on a long hose), I get the reg off my pony and we abort the dive. This, of course, assumes I'm within no-deco limits. Either way, dive is aborted but I now have less equipment to deal with while still maintaining adequate redundancy.

Right, no need for three second stages so lose the octo.

The one possible exception here would be to use a combination octo/inflator like the Scubapro Air 2 or Tusa Duo Air. They are actually well suited to solo diving as they offer the diver another second stage to access the contents of their primary tank but without the clutter of a third conventional second stage.

A bit off topic, but I used to dive with a steel 72 and AL 30, but switched to a pair of 72's in an independent doubles configuration. I realized that regulator wise I was essentially there already. And when I removed the weight I needed to stay neutral with a near empty AL 30 and subtracted the weight I could take off due to having another negatively bouyant steel 72 along, the difference in weight between the two configurations was surprisingly little (about 10 lbs) and the independent doubles offer a lot more air capacity and flexibility.

I'm in two minds about this one. Yes, I agree the octo from your primary air source is overkill however, it is still providing an alternate second stage from your *primary* supply.

I do a lot of dives from the shore where I swim out for a while and then swim back. I've had a problem with my primary second stage where it gave me nothing - overzealous adjustment = bent lever - I switched to my octo and finished the dive. If I'd been limited to my alternate air source I would have called the dive.

Nothing dangerous here - well within NDLs and can always surface swim home. Just convenient. Also if you mix solo diving with buddied diving, it's inconvenient to change configurations often.

LOL

I use an AIR2 for my octo on my primary tank. I like having two air sources to choose from on the big tank - in addition to the pony.

DA Aquamaster:
Right, no need for three second stages so lose the octo.

The one possible exception here would be to use a combination octo/inflator like the Scubapro Air 2 or Tusa Duo Air. They are actually well suited to solo diving as they offer the diver another second stage to access the contents of their primary tank but without the clutter of a third conventional second stage.

A bit off topic, but I used to dive with a steel 72 and AL 30, but switched to a pair of 72's in an independent doubles configuration. I realized that regulator wise I was essentially there already. And when I removed the weight I needed to stay neutral with a near empty AL 30 and subtracted the weight I could take off due to having another negatively bouyant steel 72 along, the difference in weight between the two configurations was surprisingly little (about 10 lbs) and the independent doubles offer a lot more air capacity and flexibility.

I agree lose the octo. Its just an additional failure point. I think the Air 2 also is extra failure point.

As to the double 72 vs the 72+30, I bet the doubled 72s are more balanced in and out of the water than the 72 +30.

Are you sure you will be solo? Do you always carry the pony when solo?

Those questions make an Air2 type infl/octo not so bad a choice. I tend to so a fair amount of solo shallow river diving where I don't need a pony. Keeps me from having to reconfigure my regulator.

Loose the octa. There is no need for it solo, it provides no redundancy and is only a failure point. The octa is a replacement for buddy breathing, you have no buddy solo so you don't need an octa. I do like your dual regulator and pony set up. N

Guess I am one of the few who disagree. To me the primary tank is just that....primary. I, personally, like having a reg and octo off the tank. I have had reg problems and switched to the octo. The octo isnt just for someone else to use that is having air problems. As a solo diver I think making the primary tank as available as possible is just a good idea. Since the odds are that while I dive a pony....I wont need the pony. So I place the pony reg on my right hip just under the bottle itself (cam strap rig) and not prominent on the chest. I keep the octo prominent on the chest.

All regs are breathed out of regularly to ensure functionality.

I still like the idea of an octo....you dont...fine.
rich

Glaucus:
I've been solo diving now for a while now and generally use my steel 72 with an AL30 pony as my redundant supply. Currently I have a primary and back-up reg off my 72 and one reg off my 30. While I do dive with other people using the same 72/30 setup, I wonder if I can lose my octopus regulator leaving only one reg from each tank?

My thought is that while solo diving if my primary craps out, I switch to pony and abort the dive. If I'm with a buddy who needs air (God forbid I find myself in that situation), he gets my primary reg (on a long hose), I get the reg off my pony and we abort the dive. This, of course, assumes I'm within no-deco limits. Either way, dive is aborted but I now have less equipment to deal with while still maintaining adequate redundancy.

As a solo diver carrying a pony I would think you need neither an octo or a long hose. Instead of donating your primary, why not donate your pony and unclip it. If the OOA diver needs to move through a restriction you have an infinately long hose on the pony bottle.

Back
Top Bottom