solo certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokey braden

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
fellow divers,
i have signed up this july to take sdi's solo cert.
after reading other threads i have a question.
will the course teach me to sling the pony bottle or strap it?
if strapped, will the valve be up or down?
will i be expected to bring an extra spg for the pony?
thank you in advance.
regards,

smokey braden:
fellow divers,
i have signed up this july to take sdi's solo cert.
after reading other threads i have a question.
will the course teach me to sling the pony bottle or strap it?
if strapped, will the valve be up or down?
will i be expected to bring an extra spg for the pony?
thank you in advance.
regards,
Unlike some training agencies that dictates very specific information TDI allows more latitude for it's instructors to to make changes to gear configuration to suit environmental and regional needs. The choices made should ultimately be your own and hopefully your instructor will present options, possible biased toward his own preference and let you decide how you want to proceed.
I like my students to have a spg on their redundant air source but it is not a requirement.

wedivebc:
I like my students to have a spg on their redundant air source but it is not a requirement.

It sure should be. The way I see it you need to check things like stage pressure in your pre-dive check to make 100% sure you're squared away how you think you are....

The last thing you need is that oh-crap-I-wish-I-had-just-bought-an-SPG-for-my-stage" moment of clear thinking when you're already up to you knees in a stinking brown substance. One of those button sized ones that screw straight into the first stage is enough but you definitely need something.

R..

Diver0001:
It sure should be. The way I see it you need to check things like stage pressure in your pre-dive check to make 100% sure you're squared away how you think you are....

Might as well add ability to monitor throughout the dive for the same reasons stated.above.

Everyone has to draw a line somewhere in gear configuration. It's important to understand pros and cons of any configuration and their affect on certain, probable, and possible dive scenerios. Options explained.

Please share your thoughts about the course after you take it.

I have the little button SPG on my first stage pony. I can see what I have when I get in the water but after that it is pretty much unreadable, to small and out of the way. I keep a plug in my pony 2nd stage and have never had a problem with it free flowing, even hanging on a line in a pretty stiff current. The plug hooks my 2nd stage to BCD and with a firm yank it is free and ready to go.
I also keep my pony inverted with valve near right hip, easy to get to.
My 2 cents worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom