Solo diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another point about the pony bottle mounting which was the main reason I had the valve up in the first place. With the valve down it is right next to the bottom dump valve. There is the potential for the dump valve release chord to tangle with the IGS valve and its dust cap and tie and even hold the dump valve open. If found this cause confusion and problems today. I'd recommend removing the dust cap from the pony.

I would recommend getting rid of all dust caps, both on the regulators and tank valves, before you get in the water. Put them in your regulator bag when you assemble your gear. They can be an entanglement hazard.

I had a very good SDI solo course at Jupiter Dive Center in FL. The class was 1:1. We spent the morning going over the SDI manual and the self tests, that I had completed ahead of time. I took the Solo Diver course at about 760 dives and had a reasonalble amount of experience with my 19 cu ft slung pony and in deploying my SMB. In the afternoon, we did 2 boat dives. Ditching and reassembling gear on the bottom and at mid-water was something I had not done for some time. The task was much easier at midwater with my weight integrated BC. We did a maskless swim and a swim without mask strap. We also did a a one fin swim. There was nothing unexpected and nothing particularly challenging but the cert was not a giveaway. I'm glad I did the course and it has already allowed me to dive solo on a boat requiring certification. Your mileage may vary, best of luck.

I had a very good SDI solo course at Jupiter Dive Center in FL. . . . Ditching and reassembling gear on the bottom and at mid-water was something I had not done for some time. The task was much easier at midwater with my weight integrated BC. We did a maskless swim and a swim without mask strap. We also did a a one fin swim.
A very good post. To me, your experience reinforces the concept that a good instructor can make a difference in the content, and quality, of the course.

As I understand it (I teach the PADI SRD, not the SDI course, although I have some familiarity with the SDI Solo Diver standards) your instructor added some skills in that are practical, but not 'required' - the one fin swim is not required as far as I know, but a good learning experience. The 'strapless' mask swim is not required, as far as I know, but a good learning experience. Same for the doff and don. (You mention 'reassembling gear' - I presume that meant putting it back on, but would appreciate a correction if something else was involved.)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

A very good post. To me, your experience reinforces the concept that a good instructor can make a difference in the content, and quality, of the course.

As I understand it (I teach the PADI SRD, not the SDI course, although I have some familiarity with the SDI Solo Diver standards) your instructor added some skills in that are practical, but not 'required' - the one fin swim is not required as far as I know, but a good learning experience. The 'strapless' mask swim is not required, as far as I know, but a good learning experience. Same for the doff and don. (You mention 'reassembling gear' - I presume that meant putting it back on, but would appreciate a correction if something else was involved.)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

You're correct, if was doff and don :D, I was obtuse. The instructor did add non-required skills that enhanced the quality of the class, I appreciated it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom