Solo diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my SDI Solo Course from a tech instructor. I think it made a big difference. It was 1:1 with 4 dives. Lots of good feedback. I learned a lot. That said, I can tell you that in my opinion the SDI C-Card does not make you a solo diver. Just in being on SB I have noticed there is a wide disparity between the solo courses- even within the same agency. As you move forward make sure you get back on SB and compare your experience and fill in the gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instructor confirmed to have technical training and is supervised by tech diver instructor.

I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong, because I don't have the instructor outline with me right now), that to teach the PADI SRD, the instructor needs to be qualified at, minimum, Tec Instructor level (can also teach Tec40 courses).

i.e. PADI SRD courses can only be taught by qualified technical instructors (albeit ''baby'' ones).

I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong, because I don't have the instructor outline with me right now), that to teach the PADI SRD, the instructor needs to be qualified at, minimum, Tec Instructor level (can also teach Tec40 courses).

i.e. PADI SRD courses can only be taught by qualified technical instructors (albeit ''baby'' ones).
No, there is no requirement to be a Tech Instructor.

Requirements to teach SRD:

• Be a Teaching status PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
• Have certified at least 25 divers
• Be a PADI Self-Reliant Diver or PADI TecRec Diver, or have a qualifying certification from another training organization
• Have logged at least 20 self-reliant dives (dives using redundant equipment and following techniques of self-reliance)

As I noted, I personally think it helps to have the background. But, that is just me. And providing the details may open up another 'can of worms'. The bigger requirement is that the Instructor actually be engaging in self-reliant dives, so they are walking the walk (maybe, for scuba, this should be 'breathing the gas'), not just talking it.

Ah, ok. Maybe that's my bad memory, or maybe it changed since the initial release. So, basically, any dwerp can teach it. My apologies to the OP for bad information.

What's a "TecRec Diver""?!?! Qual in any TecRec course? Intro-to-Tech? or the tech that isn't tech...known as Tec Sidemount??

The standard for SDI is that an instructor must be at least 21 years of age, 1 year of experience, and have certified 50 divers. This means that just about any instructor can teach solo, but all instructors are not equal. Carefully choose a solo instructor to get the most from a class. The lessons you learn may keep you alive.

Eh,wait a tick. All the SDI literature I've seen says that the perspective Solo student must have 100+ dives before entering the course. How can an instructor with 50 dives teach this class?

Eh,wait a tick. All the SDI literature I've seen says that the perspective Solo student must have 100+ dives before entering the course. How can an instructor with 50 dives teach this class?

Not 50 dives - the instructor must have certified 50 students. To qualify to be an SDI instructor you need to have 100 logged dives, have been a certified diver for at least 6 months, and be 18 years of age. To teach SDI solo you need to be at least 21 years of age. You need to have been a scuba instructor for at least 1 year and you must have certified 50 students at the open water level or above. That means minimally you would have 150 dives to teach solo. I don't personally think this standard is adequate to ensure quality solo instruction.

When I was an SDI/TDI instructor my argument against this standard (other than it didn't ensure quality) was that OW instructors could qualify to teach a solo class before tech instructors because OW classes typically have more students (up to 8) while most tech classes are limited to 3 students. Also, the skills required of a tech instructor are far greater than those for an open water instructor. I thought if the OW standard was 50 students certified then a tech instructor should be able to teach solo with 25 students certified. But, SDI is technically a different entity than TDI. So it didn't matter. Fair enough.

The idea behind number of students certified is that a scuba instructor is diving alone and handicapped because an instructor can't rely on students for help and may need to rescue them. While you cannot document solo dives without being "on your honor" the number of students certified acts as a substitute for the number of solo dives one is considered to have done.

Last edited:
Not 50 dives - the instructor must have certified 50 students.

oh right, I see it. Still like you said, 8 students to a class, 50 could come in less than 10 instructor dives. One would also think that an instructor would then be required to have a pony or redundant air and all the solo gear requirements etc if they are indeed "solo" for their student dives. Maybe SDI instructors do, IDK.

That's a good point and it's interesting to see that no agency has picked up that debate (to the best of my knowledge). If students cannot do anything to help the instructor, then he/she should be considered to dive solo. As a solo diver, She/he would then have to carry full redundant gear in most teaching situations or be accompanied by a competent buddy...

For those who have done the solo course, I'd be interested to hear what aspects you found most useful and why?

We could always make a dive safer with the right gear configuration and the right amount of redundancy. We could also introduce so many safeties into the sport that we regulate ourselves right out of the water.

If instructors needed an additional buddy for classes it would add another financial hit to the instructor to be passed off to students or make finding people who could take part in classes conducted mid-week during work hours difficult. This would further dent an instructor's already low earnings or further reduce potential students who might learn from a quality program if costs increased to make a class worth the instructor's time and overhead costs.

For technical diving, some classes require us to use a safety diver at PSAI. But, these classes carry greater risk for both instructors and students. We can't just escape to the surface if things go wrong.

An instructor who teaches an open water class should at the very least be able to deal with any and all emergencies. The best way to ensure instructor safety is to have a training program that truly tests one's ability to deal with student emergencies. The physical toll a rescue takes on you can be unbelievable. I've made surf rescues as a professional lifeguard that kicked my butt and diver rescues in tech equipment and drag is a drag!

At PDIC, under the former owners, we didn't just produce a solo diving instructor based upon certs, but based upon training with a solo instructor trainer. Also, classes were taught 1:1 with no other students in class so that the student would feel solo. The instructor was a shadow or a ghost.

Dive 1 was typically a skill review and demonstrating anti-silt/anti-damage propulsion techniques such as frog kick, modified frog kick, modified flutter kick, shuffle kick, helicopter turns and the backward kick. The instructor would demonstrate correct drills and the proper way to deal with failures.

In class, I would teach:

Solo S-drills, valve drills, bubble checks, and equipment inspection
Tank valve breathing
BC breathing
Runaway BC inflator
Lost OPV
Lost inflator hose
BC/wing flooding
3 ways to clear a reg and underwater reg repair
Remove/replace scuba hovering off bottom, holding safety stop, on surface
Clearing entanglements
Lost masks, Lost mask ascent, Switch to back-up mask
Safe solo DSMB deployments with cutting tool ready
Self-rescue and survival at sea

Dive 2 would be a harassment and failures based dive. I would try to steal everything including valve handwheels, the BCD OPV, and anything not bolted down.

Dive 3 was a psychological journey into learning to dive safely.

I miss teaching solo. PSAI doesn't condone solo diving and as a training director I'm not supposed to teach for other agencies, but I may need to convince the other BoD members that I should be able to teach programs that we don't have. Solo was one of the most fun classes. Students normally failed because they didn't have the right attitude. I'd push people and some quit. I didn't want a quitter with a C-card.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 09:07 AM ----------

For those who have done the solo course, I'd be interested to hear what aspects you found most useful and why?

I learned to never ever leave my buddy bottle. Saved my life when I found myself stuck in a cave alone. I also learned to deal with OPV issues in detail which helped me with a malfunction on a solo cave dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom