Solo diver lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skeeoos

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a solo (married) diver about to make my fourth straight solo diving trip to Coz in May. For the three previous trips, I stayed at an AI. This year, I'd like to try a non AI further north.
My reasons are twofold. First, I'd like to find cheaper accomodations (I don't have my wife's expensive tastes). Just a simple, quiet, decent place with decent A/C. Secondly, I'd like to dive some of the centralized and/or northern reefs that I miss out on staying at one of the southernmost AIs.
I really enjoyed having the AI breakfast at my own speed (fast) and not having to walk to a restaurant and order and wait for food. So I'm looking for a place that might serve breakfast as part of the package or at least have a continental breakfast. I also enjoyed meeting other people in the eating/pool areas and fear I would be less likely to meet people at a standard hotel. I'm also open to considering the on-site dive op.
I am an avid reader of Scubaboard, so I am familiar with most of the other hotels. I'm just curious if someone could recommend a place that caters most to my specific desires.
Thanks

Caribe Blue, has a small café for breakfast above the dive shop. Blue Angel dive shop on site is good. 15 min walk to town.

Barracuda has Jeanne Waffle house 20 steps south or Rocajava 100 yards north. Dive Paradise on site dive shop. No Name Bar at pool and plenty of 20 something cruise ship crew there 11-4 every day.

Mexicana downtown for a included buffet breakfast and Bluextsea dive shop picks up almost across the street.

I've stayed at Costa Brava and El Marques and both had fridges in the room. So you could pick up some fruit, yogurt, pastries etc. if you wanted to have a light breakfast in your room. At the time I stayed in the, they were looking at about $40/night for a single person. Might have gone up a bit as it's been a couple of years...

You might consider a bed and breakfast place. They run the spectrum in price, you get breakfast when you want it, and you will meet at least the other people staying there.

We're staying at the Suites Bahia next Saturday (before we head south to the Wyndham.)

As kentmorrdave noted, it's right downtown, close to diving, and they offer breakfast every morning.

We booked it a few months ago on Orbitz for $55.00. Our friends recently booked it for $60.00 +/- for the night.

Feel free to e-mail me when we get back (2/10/09), and I can give you more detailed information.

Jeff.

my backup plan is always aqua safari inn. $40. per nt large clean spartan room. nice staff.
however, first check out some booking sites. i have been seeing some pretty reasonable prices at vista del mar and suites bahia. never stayed at either but hear good things.
i also know some excellent inexpensive restuarants nearby where you may be the only gingo in the place.

Try Cozumel Coral Reef Inn Welcome to the Coral Reef Inn in Cozumel, Mexico it's about a 5 minute walk to Chedraui, 15 minutes to Barracuda for pickup for diving, full kitchen on the roof, close to dozens of inexpensive restaurants, great rates at the moment, super comfortable beds and the last time I was there I had an insta buddy for most of one week of diving. Toll free number from U.S. and Canada, great owners, spontaneous parties can break out apres diving with everyone piling into a truck and heading off for dinner. Worth checking out if you like quiet, clean, affordable and well located. There are also many options right in town that will put you where you want to be.

Back
Top Bottom