Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No ... I don't wonder that at all. I give the "make it back" part of the dive enough thought before I enter the water that I'm pretty confident I can deal with whatever I'll need to.

If I didn't feel that way, I'd be making a less aggressive dive plan ... or deciding not to dive at all.

If you always wonder if you're going to make it back, that's a pretty good indicator that you're diving beyond your ability.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:thumb: For this and the earlier posts. I appreciate it. :)

Wow, If I even had the slightest thought or doubt about making it back, I wouldn't go.

I do however spend more time on preparation before a solo dive. It is all about minimizing risks. Complete, not cursory, gear check. Independent redundant gas, reg, guages. Back up analog compass; lights, knife, SMB with strobe light. I am also more conservative on tank turn pressure and I have been taught early on to play the "what if" game. What am I going to do if "this" happens so that my responses are quick and automatic.

Could something happen that ends up out of my control? Yes but less probable.

I don't think about getting T boned by a drunk driver every time I get behind the wheel.

Well now waterpolo, If your still in this thread I would like to tell you that solo is a relaxing way to dive, hands down. If your diving at your location, it is alot easier than most realize. You will have lots of dives before you know it. Your dive buddy's are very important in finding the wrecks and showing how to dive the area successfully.

After a hundred dives or so and alot of solo dives, have your buddy's take you to the EDMONDS FITZGERALD, you will learn how many extra alternate air sources to take on one dive. And the best thing of all you can legally dive it, it is in your waters. While your building up your dives for it, go over it with a depth finder, or a side-scan. It is a cool thing to watch.

Come over the bridge and dive our wrecks, your gonna enjoy for a long time, and turn out to be one hell of a solo diver.

Happy Diving

Ok - Grateful one - I wonder but I don't worry. I plan my dive - I dive my plan - Period. I'm kind of an old guy and I wonder if I'm going to wake up in the morning but I don't worry about it - I sleep well. You still haven't answered the question - Do you think it's a good idea to lecture a novice on solo diving and end your post with "Break all the rules". I don't need to read your opinion on my ability - I'm quite confident in myself. I'm just waiting for your answer to the question.

........... I always wonder if I'm going to make it back. Don't you? ..............

Yes, don't leave home without that thought. Both Bob and DevonDiver obviously speak from long hard experience. And I know that we are all killing TSandM... Everyone has your welfare in mind, albeit in a personal thus different way. Having had the living s$$t scared out of me once for sure (maybe twice) rest assured that the stakes are high. Lost my mentor last year and a club member this year to the Atlantic. Each death had "issues" that make it easy to see how this could never happen to me. How you deal with solo diving is of the utmost importance. It is fundamental to your continued existence. Your choice brother diver, there is nobody there to stop you. However, you got the first part right, your mind is objecting... Glacial progress, advance slowly and only when everything behind you has been worn smooth.

Now back to solo diving and leaving the board for a while.

Peace.

I have just recently started posting on this site. I'm not looking to pick a fight. I'm looking for intellegent conversation with Divers. I'm not looking for Chest Beating - I get enough of that with the divers that come into the shop I associate with. We are SSI and teach Safety first and foremost. That is what atracted me to an SSI shop when I decided to become a diver. I love to dive and enjoy working with Instructers ( I'm a Dive Con) to teach people diving. Safe Diving. Remember when you passed the class and became an Open Water Diver with a C card. I do and it still make me smile. So am I on the wrong site?

We are SSI and teach Safety first and foremost. That is what atracted me to an SSI shop when I decided to become a diver

I wasn't aware of SSI offering any solo diving courses...or advocating solo diving as a recommended safe activity....

You chose SSE because they teach safety...and then choose to ignore their recommendations and go solo diving? Why the discrepancy?

Andy they don't teach solo. I taught myself. It's a personnal thing I have with my self. There is no discrepancy. When I'm with a buddy or a class they have all my attention - when I'm solo I have all my attention. It's all about me then. I'm just wondering about people that have thousands of dives and novice divers asking questions and get confusing answers. Do you think that's the right thing to do? Have you become complacent in your teaching of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom