Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a pinch of white man
Wrap it up in black skin
Add a touch of blue blood
And a little bitty-bit of red indian boy

Mm, curly latin kinkies
Mixed with yellow Chinkees
If you lump it all together
Well, you've got a recipe for a get-along scene
Oh, what a beautiful dream
If it could only come true
You know, you know

What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough to take the world and all it's got
Keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee-coloured people by the score
Yeah, Lord

Rabbis and the Friars
Bishops and the Gurus
You got the Beatles or the Sun God - it's true
Well, it really doesn't matter
What religion you choose
No no no - ooh

Mick and Lady Faithfull
Lord and Mrs. Graceful
You know the living could be tasteful
Oh, we should all get together in a lovin' machine
I'd better call up the Queen
It's only fair that she knows
You know, you know

Yeah, what we need

Yeah, yeah, yeah
What we need is a great big melting pot ....:rockband:

Blue Mink lyrics @ Burbler.com
These Melting Pot lyrics are property of their owners. The Melting Pot lyrics are used only for educational purposes.
© 2010 Smart Lyrics. All rights reserved.

Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply,
laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile.
by Bob Bailey.

Like I said no disrespect - It's the end of your post I was referring to. Life is short - Break the rules - Kiss slow ect I was referring to. I always wonder if I'm going to make it back. Don't you? It why I train - redundancy- right. With over 20,000 posts a novice might get the Idea that you know what you are talking about and you sound like you do. But you end all your posts with Break all the rules. Is that a keyboard thing? Practice what you preach Brother of the water.Peace and safe diving.

I have to respond to Grateful Diver - life is short - break the rule? - I believe training is essential in scuba - how much depends on the person. To tell a novice that they need more time under water and end your lecture with your Quote baffles me. No disrespect but you have enough dives to have encountered a few emergencies so do you break the rules? I dive solo because I like it and although Death enters my mind it is not a concern - diving and enjoyment out rule it all. Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die!! Peace fellow divers

OK, please look at my post(s).

Do you see the "line" just above the logo/link/picture at the bottom, and then below that "Oly 5050 & PT-015 / INON WAL / Ike SS200 PC & Slave Sensor / Modified Nikonus SB-101 tray" ???

Now use the quote button and all you will see is the text above the "line" because below the line is my "sig line" (signature line). Everybody who chooses to have a "sig line" has that little "line" separating it from the "post" above the "sig line."

Bob ends his posts with;

"... Bob (Grateful Diver)"

Bob's sig line is;

"Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile.

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/"

With less than 10 post under your belt here on SB you seem to already be looking for windmills to tilt. :idk:

Agree - ScottyJoe, for someone that means "no disrespect", you're doing a dang fine job of demonstrating just that, and with probably the most widely respected man on this forum.

Go find someone else' life philosophy to argue with.

Ok - Grateful one - I wonder but I don't worry. I plan my dive - I dive my plan - Period. I'm kind of an old guy and I wonder if I'm going to wake up in the morning but I don't worry about it - I sleep well. You still haven't answered the question - Do you think it's a good idea to lecture a novice on solo diving and end your post with "Break all the rules". I don't need to read your opinion on my ability - I'm quite confident in myself. I'm just waiting for your answer to the question.

Scotty, as others have indicated, what you are asking about is what's known as a "sig line" ... it appears at the bottom of all my posts. It has nothing whatsoever to do with solo diving ... or diving in particular. It's a philosophy about life ... one that I feel fits the way I've lived my life over the past half-century or so.

Like yourself, I enjoy teaching people about diving. I'm a NAUI instructor, and a scuba enthusiast who firmly believes that people should make their own decisions about how they should dive. What I encourage them to do is to put some thought into those decisions, and always ... always ... ask themselves if they're truly prepared for the dive they're planning to do.

I try to teach my students that "rules" are really rules of thumb ... and exist to give you a starting point. I tell them that diving's all about making good decisions and taking responsibility for the consequences of those decisions ... kinda like everything else in life, I suppose. One thing I've noticed is that people tend to overestimate their ability ... and sometimes it gets them into situations they can't get themselves out of. In solo diving, you really have to be aware of that tendency and be careful to avoid it ... because if you can't get yourself out of a jam, you're kinda hosed. In that respect, solo diving requires a more realistic self-assessment than buddy diving ... and when I see inexperienced divers advocating solo diving, it tends to set off some alarms that maybe this person isn't being as honest with themselves as they should be. And so I point that out. But ultimately, it's up to the individual diver to decide for themselves how seriously they should take whatever advice I offer them.

But it isn't about rules ... it's about being honest with yourself.

That's really where I'm coming from. We're all adults ... and every adult has the capacity to decide for themselves what they want to do. I just want to do my part to help them to choose wisely ... drawing on my own experiences as a diver and someone who teaches others how to dive.

Hope that answers your question ... and yeah, I suppose I do have a tendency to lecture ... most folks don't seem to mind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agree - ScottyJoe, for someone that means "no disrespect", you're doing a dang fine job of demonstrating just that, and with probably the most widely respected man on this forum.

Go find someone else' life philosophy to argue with.

I could argue with your's Jax ... except that I agree with it.

... besides ... I'm too distracted by your avatar ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I could argue with your's Jax ... except that I agree with it.

... besides ... I'm too distracted by your avatar ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:thumb: :hugs:

Well folks I just wanted an answer to a question and boy I got a lot of flack before I got one. Grateful Diver - thank you for your answer. You have quite a large following - So sayeth the Shepard so sayeth the flock! The fact that I had to tread through so much bull**** to get an answer to a simple question tells me I'm on the wrong site for me. One thought for you all before I exit this site - If you put your self and thoughts on the Internet for everybody to read - expect to be questioned - if you evade the question your not believable. And now you know why I dive solo. Peace - Out

Back
Top Bottom