Solo diving and back up gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the complement, Nemrod. I would have to say the same of you. The Florida trip was a blast. I hope we can dive togther again soon.

Saildiver, considering all of the things I have done in my 60 years, such as racing dirt cars, riding motorcycles, sky diving and scuba I guess I would have to say I have a high risk tolerance. If I buy the farm tomorrow it's been a hell of a ride.

captain:
considering all of the things I have done in my 60 years, such as racing dirt cars, riding motorcycles, sky diving and scuba I guess I would have to say I have a high risk tolerance. If I buy the farm tomorrow it's been a hell of a ride.

they say you regret the things you havent done far more than the things you have.

mannydib:
they say you regret the things you havent done far more than the things you have.

So very true.

I dive a couple of configurations: Dual HP100's/BP&W and single LP108/BP&W with a 19cuft pony. Some days I take my camera and spend 2 hours taking pics with the duals with a max of 150fsw and some days I dive the same rig no deeper than 75fsw.

Other times I take out the 108's and putz around at 100fsw snooping for cool new stuff and sometimes I dive to 40fsw. Its about what your skill base and comfort zone will accommodate.

I have one dive buddy that I would not dive deeper than 70fsw with... EVER! And another that I can't ever remember seeing above 120. I dive with the appropriate person in the appropriate context. Sometimes that means alone. The day the dive site and the mindset determine the gear and locale. But I strive to be as safe as I can in any regard. Irrespective of who I am with.

Blitz:
I have one dive buddy that I would not dive deeper than 70fsw with... EVER! And another that I can't ever remember seeing above 120. I dive with the appropriate person in the appropriate context. Sometimes that means alone. The day the dive site and the mindset determine the gear and locale. But I strive to be as safe as I can in any regard. Irrespective of who I am with.
LOL... The guy I dive "with" most of the time and I have this sort of relationship. We share the boat out, I help suit him up (he is missing a hand...), push him out of the boat. Depending on the length of his dive, I will suit up and hit the water as he hits his 10' stop. A couple of OKs and off I go. The perfect dive buddy!

Like you I know people that I wouldn't take a shower with, let alone dive with!

captain:
Thanks for the complement, Nemrod. I would have to say the same of you. The Florida trip was a blast. I hope we can dive togther again soon.

Saildiver, considering all of the things I have done in my 60 years, such as racing dirt cars, riding motorcycles, sky diving and scuba I guess I would have to say I have a high risk tolerance. If I buy the farm tomorrow it's been a hell of a ride.
Hey Captain-I hope you have many more years of adventures-as I certainly plan on having as well. I was just reading in Undercurrent about the increasing number of 1st stage failures-these can be catastrophic if you are deeper than you can safely make a free ascent or if you need to decompress,or have to ascend without a safety stop. A redundant regulator connected to an air source when diving solo would certainly prevent that...I only offer my experience as something for you and everyone on this forum to learn from,since we each cannot have all experiences....I wish you well...Peace...Saildiver.

Saildiver, the Captain and I use double hose regulators--they don't fail and some don't have but one stage to begin with, lol. If we were using modern plastic regulators like Apeks we might be more concerned. Our BC don't fail either because we don't got any and darn if I did not loose that snorkel back in the 70s. I ought to buy another one some day huh? N

Good point Nemrod. I read a lot about O ring failure and regulator problems. My 2 stage double hose regulators have no O rings other than at the regulator to valve connection. My single stage has one O ring. I do my own work on them and I believe them to be almost bullet proof. I would not be caught drowned with one of the modern plastic balanced this and that regulators in my mouth. If I do used a single hose it is my all metal Scuba Pro MK V / 109. Simplicity is reliability, the more complication the greater chance of failure. I have stated this before that backup gear may have the psychological effect of causing someone to be less careful in adhering to limits.

So as car's become safer, ie. more air bags ect., your going to only drive older cars that don't have airbags because its worked for you so far? You can have all the skills in the world, but taking unessassary risks just comes down to pride one way or another. I'm glad its worked for you thus far, but your life must not mean that much to you if skill is the only thing you'll depend on. Sooner or later Everyone's skills run out.

---------- Post added ----------

The people that regret the things they haven't done are the one's who live to regret it. If your dead its hard to regret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom