Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that is why it is inevitable thanks for wording it better than me. if you have a buddy in sight can he perform the function. oops that was you point wasnt it. unless one knows thier buddy inside and out , you just dont really know, now does one .... may i add when i go on a regulator the only one i know can perform is me. i am my own first and second line of defence/rescue. i have seen too many non performing people sucking on a reg with dangling tanks, snagged equipment ect. oops there i go again that was your point also was it not??????????? whether you planned to be separated or it was an accident...... the end result is the same you are by your self in a solo environment. i chose to skill my self for that situation of being in a solo situation.

lets all go solo diving buddies welcome.......

I'm having trouble making sense out of this. Perhaps it's a difference in our personal experiences.

When I solo dive, I PLAN to solo dive.

When I buddy dive, I PLAN to not get separated from my dive buddies. I make an effort to see that it doesn't happen by discussing and agreeing to a plan that includes who's going to be where during the dive. For the vast majority of my dives, I dive with people who choose to dive similarly to me ... if not in skill and experience level, at least in terms of choosing to take their buddy responsibilities seriously. And if, at any point in the dive, I perceive that's not happening, I DO NOT continue the dive. We go to the surface and either discuss the problem and continue or we abort the dive.

There is nothing "inevitable" about buddy separation. It happens because of choice, ignorance, or carelessness. All of those symptoms can be remedied ... if you want them to be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just a follow up. I also like diving with my friends, groups and or buddies. It is more fun to go dive and then go for a beer with people...

I'm having trouble making sense out of this. Perhaps it's a difference in our personal experiences.

When I buddy dive, I PLAN to not get separated from my dive buddies. I make an effort to see that it doesn't happen by discussing and agreeing to a plan that includes who's going to be where during the dive. For the vast majority of my dives, I dive with people who choose to dive similarly to me ... if not in skill and experience level, at least in terms of choosing to take their buddy responsibilities seriously. And if, at any point in the dive, I perceive that's not happening, I DO NOT continue the dive. We go to the surface and either discuss the problem and continue or we abort the dive.

There is nothing "inevitable" about buddy separation. It happens because of choice, ignorance, or carelessness. All of those symptoms can be remedied ... if you want them to be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree Bob. Some simple trial and error and study will teach most divers how to be effective in a buddy team; distance, position, signalling etc... After that it's just whether one applies the knowledge.

Here's a little clip I made after diving with a buddy team a while ago (I'm just learning how to shoot video so go easy). What impressed me when watching the raw footage was how the one diver kept track of the other and waited while the pics were being taken. In the clip one can see visual checks and some hand/light signals (at around 1:20 Todd flashes me to let me know he is waiting for Hunter).

Videos : Teamwork

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FOR the most part i agree with you. most of the diving i do .... i go to a site and i have to find a buddy. you dont know who you are diving with. not the same thing as diving with your wife ect of whome you have a well organized routine diciplined in the buddy concept. that situation does not apply when you do a dive boat. you are alone with a heard of other divers some who are snow birds who havnt dove since certification. unless you are with a known trusted buddy separation is a guarentee. when they leave i am not going to call a dive because i lost a buddy i will turn him over to some other diver . when you are paying 100.00 for a 2 tank dive im not going to throw it away because a buddy cant stay close. i dive to enjoy not to baby sit a wanderer. i dont pay to be someones backup. i pay to experience diving. its a poor analogy but doing that is like going to gentlemans club with you wife. one seams to get more for thier cover charge when you enter alone. compound things with limited visibility or a night/ wreck dive. the chances of separation increase exponetially. once again you are by your self till you can find your buddy. blue water diving has its own issues 100 ft clear water and the you dont stay in each others pocket like in low vis. malfunction and its a sprint to assit. its easier to solo with another solo diver. i would think that a solo diver has stopped doing the stupid stuff that new divers do that leads to problems. i think i look at solo diving as a mental state or outlook on ones survivablity supported by skills, experience and maturity. anything else is to utopic. solo is not a physical thing as much as it is an ability be recover from a problem without assistance.

FOR the most part i agree with you. most of the diving i do .... i go to a site and i have to find a buddy. you dont know who you are diving with. not the same thing as diving with your wife ect of whome you have a well organized routine diciplined in the buddy concept. that situation does not apply when you do a dive boat. you are alone with a heard of other divers some who are snow birds who havnt dove since certification. unless you are with a known trusted buddy separation is a guarentee. when they leave i am not going to call a dive because i lost a buddy i will turn him over to some other diver . when you are paying 100.00 for a 2 tank dive im not going to throw it away because a buddy cant stay close. i dive to enjoy not to baby sit a wanderer. i dont pay to be someones backup. i pay to experience diving. its a poor analogy but doing that is like going to gentlemans club with you wife. one seams to get more for thier cover charge when you enter alone. compound things with limited visibility or a night/ wreck dive. the chances of separation increase exponetially. once again you are by your self till you can find your buddy. blue water diving has its own issues 100 ft clear water and the you dont stay in each others pocket like in low vis. malfunction and its a sprint to assit. its easier to solo with another solo diver. i would think that a solo diver has stopped doing the stupid stuff that new divers do that leads to problems. i think i look at solo diving as a mental state or outlook on ones survivablity supported by skills, experience and maturity. anything else is to utopic. solo is not a physical thing as much as it is an ability be recover from a problem without assistance.

The highlighted comments above are a contradiction. You are not getting in the water with a buddy, you are getting into the water with another diver under the expectation that if anything should happen you are both on your own. That is NOT buddy diving.

I understand your circumstances, and they are different than what I encounter in my local conditions ... but what you are describing isn't either buddy or solo diving. It's broken diving ... because you're planning as a buddy dive and executing as a solo dive. If it were me in your situation, I would simply refuse a buddy and plan and execute those dives as a solo diver.

Setting the expectation that you are diving with a buddy when you are not mentally prepared to do so is worse than diving solo ... because although YOU may be perfectly able to go solo, the diver entering the water with you probably isn't, and is entering the water under a different set of assumptions. That diver would be better off paired with someone who's not going to just leave them when it's convenient, even if that other diver is less experienced than you.

In your case, I can see why you believe diver separation is inevitable ... and it falls under my criteria of "choice". You have decided that diving with that buddy simply isn't worth the effort. That's a valid call ... but it's one that should be made before the two of you ever enter the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The highlighted comments above are a contradiction. You are not getting in the water with a buddy, you are getting into the water with another diver under the expectation that if anything should happen you are both on your own. That is NOT buddy diving.

I understand your circumstances, and they are different than what I encounter in my local conditions ... but what you are describing isn't either buddy or solo diving. It's broken diving ... because you're planning as a buddy dive and executing as a solo dive. If it were me in your situation, I would simply refuse a buddy and plan and execute those dives as a solo diver.

Setting the expectation that you are diving with a buddy when you are not mentally prepared to do so is worse than diving solo ... because although YOU may be perfectly able to go solo, the diver entering the water with you probably isn't, and is entering the water under a different set of assumptions. That diver would be better off paired with someone who's not going to just leave them when it's convenient, even if that other diver is less experienced than you.

In your case, I can see why you believe diver separation is inevitable ... and it falls under my criteria of "choice". You have decided that diving with that buddy simply isn't worth the effort. That's a valid call ... but it's one that should be made before the two of you ever enter the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

so let me try to understand you if i solo in a pond and another is in the pond i am not solo. is that your point. every wxample you use to make your point is exactly the reason i prefer to be able to dive solo. i dont have to depend on some one i must ASSUME can help me. i am in the water with no expection of assistance from another. implied contractual, any thing. i prepare for my own contingencies. i am not one to say "so my reg is flakey i have a buddy to back up on if needed". your criteria of choice. you can not control the choice of another. that is the point. wwhen your buddy makes a poor choice when you were not hawk watching them you are usless to them and they are usless to you. out of air i have my buddy tank out of mask i have my buddy mask. out osf anything i have that to. i dont carry spare common sence for my buddy, that is thier problem. when i am told i can not go into the water because i think the group assigned buddy is a hazzard. my day is not gong to be ruined. fortunately there are few parks that require buddys to get in the water. (in application). when i arrive at the site by my self enter the water by my self i am solo diving period. i may see other divers in the water when i am there. they are not my buddy, and i am not thiers. if they need assistance i will assist. that does not make me thier buddy just a good passer by tht rendered help.

ewhy can you not understand the solo issue is not from my inablility it is the other divers inability. the idea if ii am in the same water with someone else they are my buddy. my god i may have 50 buddies to pick from at any time. lets see i pick that one those fins match my tank. your points are valid for newby's. if i dive with a group of 4-5 which is my buddy and which is not my buddy. which has to assist me and which do not. i dont have to worry about that i have a buddy slung to my bc, it is never more that an inch or so away. it does not get distracted, it does not wander off. it does not get into trouble from poor decisions. you can not be buddy to save if you cann not guarentee you can monitor the buddy every second os the dive. from teh time a buddy has a problem , panic sets in snd they head for the surface you may not notice it till you cant find you buddy. all because you looked in a hole for 10-20 seconds. do you put your trust in a stranger whose qualifications are unknown to you, to tell you you are acting weird and you should abort your dive.

i have literally watched buddies just sit there and do nothing when thier buddy needed help. a passerby (me) had to stop to help in a lost tank event. now tell me with a straight face that that guy had a buddy or was he alone when he needed assistance from his BUDDY and was in application solo yet untrained for solo. the 2 fefer to were diving with out the profienciy or ability to render assistance to another. jump through the hoops for the course get the card and do a data dump. once again you do not always get a proficient diver as a buddy,,, just someone on a tank. people are down there with no compass or compass skill. but they do have a bunch of neet stuff on that they just bought and trying for the first time. thier learning of thier gear takes away from thier ability to be a buddy to me. if they cant be a buddy ,, i plan to be buddyless/ self dependant. if i cant guarentee that the one i am diving with has full time backkup from me then i have 2 options. one pick another solo diver to go with. two sit and hover over another through out the entire dive to guarentee thier survivability. if the dive is not enjoyable i dont do it. visibility, tide/current, sea state, the unweined hand holding buddy. i just dont dive. at a laake i can just look for a groupe that has equipment that neither has mold or new store smell and odds oare you can find someone decent to dive with. i have watched new divers they are over occupied in being in thier buddys pocket. if i want to take pics i can do it with an un nutural dog paddling budy holding my bc to stay near. there are times when i understand that the one i am diving with is new and the goal then becomes to be in the buddy mode for them while they get experience and become more comfident. perhaps instructor mode is a better phrase. i have done that a lot of times. i have been a dedicated buddy for gear testing dives. that is the role i agree to.

i had an incededt where i was with a group in low vis. and i got separated from them. whose fault i dont know doesnt matter. i did a buddy search for a minute and went to the surface to look for bubbles. found them and rejoined. that is me being a buddy. i was alone in that dituation from the time i got sepatated. the group did not think to go to the surface to find my bubbles, they went on with out me. at the time of separation i never left the last position they saw me. they moved on and assumed i knew it. they scolded me for being a poor buddy yet did not use the process for finding a lost buddy. oh yea i forgot they looked at what they felt was a tech rig and figured that i did not need a buddy so they went on assuming i left them. from my perspective was i alone or did i have a buddy at time of need.

as far as i was concerned they were the sparere tire in the trunk with no air in it. get it ?????

KWS, my point is quite simple.

If you are going to solo dive, then plan and execute a solo dive. Don't pretend to be somebody else's buddy then cop this attitude that if they have a problem it's THEIR problem.

If you agree to be a dive buddy, then BE a dive buddy ... with all the responsibilities that implies. If you are unwilling to do that, then be honest about it and state up-front that you'd prefer to dive solo.

Entering the water with somebody with the attitude you've expressed above is an invitation to an accident ... maybe not on your part, but by accepting someone as your buddy you have set an expectation of responsibility ... and a duty of care in the event of a need for assistance. Failing to follow through on that duty once you've accepted it is irresponsible, however you rationalize it.

Be honest with yourself ... and with anybody else involved, be it a potential buddy, the charter crew, or the owner of a quarry or other dive site that you may be wanting to dive at. If a buddy is required and you don't want a buddy, then my advice is simply don't dive there. Choose sites and situations where you can set your rules and dive your plan in a way that's comfortable to you.

You are expressing one of the MAJOR reasons why buddy separation happens ... because divers are led to believe that they HAVE to dive with a buddy, but are unwilling to accept what that means. That's the very mentality that led to the examples you provided in your post above. And whatever else it may be, it's NOT solo diving.

A solo dive begins with the decision to dive without a buddy and the setting of expectations on the part of anyone else involved in the dive that you will be doing the dive without a buddy ... not that you'll take somebody else in the water with you and abandon them as soon as it's convenient. That approach is just setting somebody else up for a really bad day ... and sooner or later diving like that will eventually bite someone in the ass, whether it's you or the person who thought you were their dive buddy.

You really shouldn't straddle that bridge. Get on one side or the other, before somebody ends up really surprised ... because those kind of surprises can be fatal.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

KWS, my point is quite simple.

If you are going to solo dive, then plan and execute a solo dive. Don't pretend to be somebody else's buddy then cop this attitude that if they have a problem it's THEIR problem.

If you agree to be a dive buddy, then BE a dive buddy ... with all the responsibilities that implies. If you are unwilling to do that, then be honest about it and state up-front that you'd prefer to dive solo.

Entering the water with somebody with the attitude you've expressed above is an invitation to an accident ... maybe not on your part, but by accepting someone as your buddy you have set an expectation of responsibility ... and a duty of care in the event of a need for assistance. Failing to follow through on that duty once you've accepted it is irresponsible, however you rationalize it.

honest with yourself ... and with anybody else involved, be it a potential buddy, the charter crew, or the owner of a quarry or other dive site that you may be wanting to dive at. If a buddy is required and you don't want a buddy, then my advice is simply don't dive there. Choose sites and situations where you can set your rules and dive your plan in a way that's comfortable to you.

You are expressing one of the MAJOR reasons why buddy separation happens ... because divers are led to believe that they HAVE to dive with a buddy, but are unwilling to accept what that means. That's the very mentality that led to the examples you provided in your post above. And whatever else it may be, it's NOT solo diving.

A solo dive begins with the decision to dive without a buddy and the setting of expectations on the part of anyone else involved in the dive that you will be doing the dive without a buddy ... not that you'll take somebody else in the water with you and abandon them as soon as it's convenient. That approach is just setting somebody else up for a really bad day ... and sooner or later diving like that will eventually bite someone in the ass, whether it's you or the person who thought you were their dive buddy.

You really shouldn't straddle that bridge. Get on one side or the other, before somebody ends up really surprised ... because those kind of surprises can be fatal.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i think you are the one that is stradling the fince.
i go in as a solo diver others i go in with is going solo. just because we are in the same body of water does not make us buddies.

extrapulate any way you want my point is if we are not diving as a buddy pair i am solo. when he brain farts and takes off i am now solo. in regards of expectation of help if i need it. he is solo for the same reason.

i do not suggest as you are trying to imply that i have promised support through out the dive and then abanden them. you keep wanting to do that to my posts.

your position is you can not dive solo with another person. it is more realistic to say you can dive buddies if you are separated. when separated you have lost your support. and there for no longer in a buddy sitiation. untill you restore the buddy situation you remain a diver who is diving solo.

your contention is i am responsible for the bonehead actions of the other guy. i prefer to dive with others who DO NOT EXPECT THIS AS THIER MEANS OF SURVIVAL. a new ow is not trained in stress and rescue how can he be of assistance when he is not trained to handle the situation? they will only compound the problem or becaome an aditional statistic.

do you refuse to dive with newby's or those who have less than x# of dives in a given period. i did not think so. you take what you get. if you say you are bringing your own buddy with you . then you are rejecting all others as your buddy.

stop combining the responsibility from practical aplication. when you are without your buddy insight you are alone. period. if i am diving buddy i will exicute lost buddy proceedures if i am diving solo i may or may not.

the fact you entered the water with someone else does not guarentee you have a spare air source. some times assumptions are not valid. in that time you are alone and solo. till remedied. as such you are responsible for saving your but. your buddy may be accountable for the separation leagaly but that does not fix the imediate problem. your position is its ok to die just so you can blame it on someone else. my position is if i die it is my fault for trusting some one else when i shouldnt have.
and by putting all backup safety in the hands of one other person is the greatest disservice you can do to your self.

your view of diving appears to be the verison method .... you dive and all support hovers around you where ever you go to fix your problems that should have been cared for before entering the water. in that regard if you are in the same pond as the verison crew you can not be solo.

you continue to suggest that my views of solo is based on my inability as a buddy and not the other buddy's failure. i solo because of others failure rate. you cant save some one from themselves.

now we are full circle because you cant be solo if you are in the same water, right.

at some point you have to tell someone the are not safe and they need to find another crutch to dive with.

if my spare tiere has no air is it a spare tire???? it may be a tire but it is not a spare as it does not function. no matter what you say i have no spare tire if i get a flat. i am stuck on the roadside.

perhaps this example is better. you are driving and on the phone with someone. are you driving alone or not. better yet if you are driving and have a phone in the car are you alone. i would love to see the video of a phone giving you cpr.

the other assumption you make is i change the terms of the dive with the person i went in the water with, mid dive. that is not true. we both go in solo and come out solo. even if it is the same time. we may have agreed to surface at the same time to coult heads but my surface was not predicate on his surface. we are independant. we may then choose to be buddies and transit to another location and dive solo again or in a buddy arrangement. i have many times left the (BUDDY) on the surface while going below to look in on an ow class and just hover for a while. while around that group below none of them are my buddy. i am on my own. i am solo

your argument is great for beginners who are so prone to problems that they need a buddy to remain calm or to bail them out. it also serves to prevent doing something stupid like diving solo unprepared and holding the agincy accountable. i suspect that with your experience and skill levels there is not much that can over task you to the point you get in trouble and have to have a ow buddy to get you out. i realize that most, probably do not have the expertise you have in the water. i dont know i havent looked at you profile. nor am i interested as it prpbably reflects you cards not your skills. i am sure that there are many who may out skill you and are undocumented so to speek. if you are a dive con or dm i am probably talking to a oblicgated voice of the company and not diver of the experience of 95% of the divers around without a contractual agreement to voice policy.

round x coming up shortoly i am sure

.....if we are not diving as a buddy pair i am solo. when he brain farts and takes off i am now solo.....

What does the above statement actually mean? You were diving solo but he thought you were a buddy team but when he disappears you officially become a solo diver?

What does the above statement actually mean? You were diving solo but he thought you were a buddy team but when he disappears you officially become a solo diver?

it is 2 situations if wer are diving non buddy i am solo

if he dissappears i am now solo

the difference is the first was planned solo diving the second is i was thrown into a solo diving situation and no longer have a buddy available untill he is found again to restore the buddy team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom