Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KWS ... you are the one who typed these statements

i go to a site and i have to find a buddy

when they leave i am not going to call a dive because i lost a buddy i will turn him over to some other diver

Those are the sentiments I'm responding to. You are calling this person your buddy. Why? If you are diving solo, you don't HAVE a buddy.

Dive any way you like. Frankly, if the statements you've typed in this thread truly reflect your attitude, I think you SHOULD dive solo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the clarification KWS.

Do you ever dive dive with another person and as their buddy?

Here is the message that has just been posted:
KWS ... you are the one who typed these statements

---Quote (Originally by KWS)---
i go to a site and i have to find a buddy

when they leave i am not going to call a dive because i lost a buddy i will turn him over to some other diver ---End Quote--- Those are the sentiments I'm responding to. You are calling this person your buddy. Why? If you are diving solo, you don't HAVE a buddy.

Dive any way you like. Frankly, if the statements you've typed in this thread truly reflect your attitude, I think you SHOULD dive solo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i believe tht statement waws in responce to another comment that said they would call/abort a dive if they had buddy problems. i said i would not abort the dive but trade the buddy with another buddy team rether than forfiet the dive and loosing the fund valu i paid for a boat trip dive.

i believe tht statement waws in responce to another comment that said they would call/abort a dive if they had buddy problems. i said i would not abort the dive but trade the buddy with another buddy team rether than forfiet the dive and loosing the fund valu i paid for a boat trip dive.

These are getting harder and harder to understand. But if I read and understand it correctly, you would initiate a buddy dive and if something happens mid way you would hand the buddy over to someone else so you could continue as a solo dive?

i thinkt he whole issue here is perhaps a legal definition of a buddy. vs a operational definition. they are not always the same and do not co exist. if i have a buddy and he does not preform like a buddy i trade them off for one who can. as i can not trust the level of experience i see on dive boats as i travel alone, i dive in a mannor that is consistant with solo diving and as such i am diving solo. normally the other guy has a buddy (me) and i have none. when ever possible i start with a solo plan equip for it. when it is forced on me to have a buddy, then i want a buddy and to be a buddy nor a nurse maid to someine that has problems getting his tank in the bc with orface forward. if the "buddy" is not equiped for solo i degrade to thier level. if they are equiped and trained for solo i solo, they solo and we agree to meet adn verify each others safety perhaps twice a dive or use signal devices to indicate come hither and help or see this.

No I think the whole problem is the fact that you are going into these dives knowing that people might be relying on you if it hits the fan but are unwilling to live up the the obligation. You should probably stop diving with anybody and always dive solo. That way everybody lives up their obligations.

i have literally watched buddies just sit there and do nothing when thier buddy needed help. a passerby (me) had to stop to help in a lost tank event.

How exactly does one lose a tank underwater during a dive? That has got to a mind blowing experience. So does the dive continue from there or does it get called?

Thanks for the clarification KWS.

Do you ever dive dive with another person and as their buddy?

yes i do i have said (in other threads) that i have limitaitons to solo diving. no wreck no deep no unknown locations, current tides rough surface conditions ect.

also the person i do buddy with ,,, we have dove for some time and know how each other dives and we are able to be an effective buddy for each other. we have our signals and protpcals worked out. we know each others equiment, habits and limitations. we are buddy's as diving goes. it took many dives to get to that point he is a dm now. i would trust him to save my tail if needed. we also dive solo together. he goes his way i go mine we meet at the big oak tree at high noon.
things are nmore fun with a buddy that is a compitant buddy as opposed to a buddy that needs a babysitter.

that was a fair question thanks

How exactly does one lose a tank underwater during a dive? That has got to a mind blowing experience. So does the dive continue from there or does it get called?

i had him hold on to the anchor line while i replaced the tank strapping and got him secured. this dive ended as it ws the end of the dive and his buddy just sat there dumb founded waiting for the end of the 3 min safety stop and did nothing to assist his buddy. my forced buddy was given to anotherr group while i filled in the the failed buddy of the loose tank.

No problem for the "fair" question :wink:....I try once in a while :D. OK so I might be understanding better. You will only "buddy dive" with a buddy that meets certain qualifications so that you feel you can count on them if the worst happens. While I have a different view of buddy diving and what constitutes an acceptable buddy, your choice is your choice to make.....not mine.

Also, when you guys solo dive "together", I am assuming that you are both planning and executing your own individual dives even though you are in the same body of water. Right?

yes i do i have said (in other threads) that i have limitaitons to solo diving. no wreck no deep no unknown locations, current tides rough surface conditions ect.

also the person i do buddy with ,,, we have dove for some time and know how each other dives and we are able to be an effective buddy for each other. we have our signals and protpcals worked out. we know each others equiment, habits and limitations. we are buddy's as diving goes. it took many dives to get to that point he is a dm now. i would trust him to save my tail if needed. we also dive solo together. he goes his way i go mine we meet at the big oak tree at high noon.
things are nmore fun with a buddy that is a compitant buddy as opposed to a buddy that needs a babysitter.

that was a fair question thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom