Solo diving with a long hose (split from Should non-DIR divers use a long hose)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
<This solo diving with a long hose discussion was moved from the Should non-DIR divers use a long hose thread in the DIR forum... Snowbear>

In my mind it would be absolutely absurd if recreational and other (scientific) divers could not adopt certain DIR techniques and equipment that fit with their diving style. For the few in the DIR community that are rabid purists and might dispute this, shame on you. There are tips and techniques that we can all learn from different schools of thought and adopt if they mesh well with our diving patterns.

For me, as the antithesis of a DIR diver, the long hose does not work as well. I dive solo 80% of the time and because I muck around on the bottom a lot to film subjects, it can also get in the way. But that's just for my style of diving. Others have to make up their own mind based on theirs.

drbill:
In my mind it would be absolutely absurd if recreational and other (scientific) divers could not adopt certain DIR techniques and equipment that fit with their diving style. For the few in the DIR community that are rabid purists and might dispute this, shame on you.
Hmmm ... where did you ever hear anyone suggesting such a thing?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... where did you ever hear anyone suggesting such a thing?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
It was the DIR boogieman. He's everywhere...doesn't say a word, but horrendous atrocities are attributed to him.

I can see where one who solo dives does not necessarily need a long hose. The part I have a problem understanding is how a long hose necessarily get's in the way. I would suggest it routes better and is less prone to entanglement while mucking around on the bottom. Please enlighten us as to how it would get in the way.

Also, how do you film if you are mucking around on the botttom?

drbill:
For me, as the antithesis of a DIR diver, the long hose does not work as well. I dive solo 80% of the time and because I muck around on the bottom a lot to film subjects, it can also get in the way. But that's just for my style of diving. Others have to make up their own mind based on theirs.

Actually I've heard that from DIR divers who don't agree with the statement. As I said in my post, this is the exception. The DIR divers that I know (and who occasionally let me dive with them despite my configuration) do not fall in this category. They have heard it from a few more doctrinaire DIR divers though.

As for hoses, etc., getting in the way while filming, my current configuration is also a problem. I stick my head and body into small caves and crevices where it really doesn't belong, and because I have four "second stages" (primary, octo, pony and Air2) they are problemmatic enough.

When I say mucking around, I do not refer to stirring up the sediment... just spending much of my time on the bottom rather than in mid-water.

Hope that clarifies my previous post.

drbill:
and because I have four "second stages" (primary, octo, pony and Air2) they are problemmatic enough.

Bill,

Just out of curiosity, since this is a DIR forum, I'm curious why if you are solo diving, and already have a primary, octo and a pony why would you add the additional failure point, on your primary inflation source, and include an Air2 in the equation?

Thanks

I also dive solo, and I switched to the long hose not for air sharing reasons but instead for hose routing reasons. I prefer not to route hoses out of my old Conshelf XIVs perpendicular to the tank (i.e. sticking straight out to the side), so I need a longer hose to route it down, parallel to the tank, and then back up to my mouth.

A slightly longer hose (like an octopus 40" or so) is too short and pulls downward on the regulator, although I could put an elbow on the second stage and just route a loop (down, under the arm, and then back up), but that would probably also tend to pull downward (I didn't try it). A long hose routed behind the neck and then to the mouth follows a similar arch to a standard short hose without sticking out from the first stage like the short hose would.

I was originally averse to adding that much hose, but in actual use I find my original concerns were unwaranted. In the case of the long hose, it has never given me an issue and has been nothing but a success for me. Well, except for my recent realization that now that I also buddy dive I need to have it routed external to my diagonally slung pony, and I am a little concerned about crossing my pony with the hose because of the potential for cutting the hose should I collide with something and pinch the hose between that something and my pony. I currently dive without the pony on buddy dives to avoid this problem (although I only use h-valves or manifolded doubles so I'm still mostly redundant). Any suggestions for using the pony without routing the hose in front of it would be appreciated.

MHK- Agree with you on the Air-2. It came with the BCD and I've been too lazy to remove it. In fact it has proven to be problematic since I have been whacked in the face three times with the Air-2 (drawing blood each time) by dive buddies trying to be helpful in getting me into the BCD. I do like its buttons though as they are larger than on the standard SP power inflators.

Me too, I dive solo with a long hose too. I like the routing better, just as veggiedog does. More comfortable, and that nasty entangling loop on the right side of my head is now history. I use a six-footer hose, which is harder to find at dive shops.

The long hose requires extra effort and hassle for the sorts of diving I often do in the Caribbean, which entails chucking rig off boat and swimming after it. Boatside donning/doffing is a luxury. I may switch back to the 3-footer for those applications.

I have no intention of axing my AIR 2, however. Wonderful device.

Just messing with you :wink:

drbill:
When I say mucking around, I do not refer to stirring up the sediment... just spending much of my time on the bottom rather than in mid-water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom