Solo diving with a long hose (split from Should non-DIR divers use a long hose)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Me too, I dive solo with a long hose too. I like the routing better, just as veggiedog does. More comfortable, and that nasty entangling loop on the right side of my head is now history. I use a six-footer hose, which is harder to find at dive shops.

The long hose requires extra effort and hassle for the sorts of diving I often do in the Caribbean, which entails chucking rig off boat and swimming after it. Boatside donning/doffing is a luxury. I may switch back to the 3-footer for those applications.

I have no intention of axing my AIR 2, however. Wonderful device.

Many of us in the DIR camp understand, recognize and appreciate that other's have a varying style(s) of diving, but I hope you can appreciate that, this being a DIR forum, that our advise and comments are tailored towards a DIR philosophy. Ideas such as Air2's, solo diving and 3' hoses stand in startk contrast to principles that we adhere.

Again, I appreciate that others dive in a style inconsistent with DIR protocols, so I hope you'll understand me taking the time to make the point in a DIR forum that these ideas are inconsistent with the core tennats of the underlying system.

Regards

I like my Sherwood Maximus primary -- think it's got a 40" hose, and it's an under-arm swivel-based reg (a heck of a lot more comfortable for me, personally, than the over-the-arm "normal" setup, and it keeps the hose tighter to my body)

My present secondary is a Shadow+ -- in-line like an Air2. Been thinking of picking up a normal octo, but likely a 5' hose; my gut feeling is that I would like it more than a standard-length hose, much better for working with other people (I'm working on DM, and there are times when it's just plain nice to have a normal octo, with a longer hose, rather than having to use the Shadow+). It's a compromise -- short lengths work for me, but a longer hose is more convenient for others, and I don't feel any urge to go 7' as I am not a cave/tech classic penetration diver.

I expect that with a 5' octo hose it should work cleanly if I just stuff a loop under the side compression straps on my BCD -- the nice-to-have extra length will be there, and the straps will keep it tucked in.

I also carry a pony, standard gear. Lord -- just what we all need, 4 regs :)

markfm:
I like my Sherwood Maximus primary -- think it's got a 40" hose, and it's an under-arm swivel-based reg (a heck of a lot more comfortable for me, personally, than the over-the-arm "normal" setup, and it keeps the hose tighter to my body)

My present secondary is a Shadow+ -- in-line like an Air2. Been thinking of picking up a normal octo, but likely a 5' hose; my gut feeling is that I would like it more than a standard-length hose, much better for working with other people (I'm working on DM, and there are times when it's just plain nice to have a normal octo, with a longer hose, rather than having to use the Shadow+). It's a compromise -- short lengths work for me, but a longer hose is more convenient for others, and I don't feel any urge to go 7' as I am not a cave/tech classic penetration diver.

I expect that with a 5' octo hose it should work cleanly if I just stuff a loop under the side compression straps on my BCD -- the nice-to-have extra length will be there, and the straps will keep it tucked in.

I also carry a pony, standard gear. Lord -- just what we all need, 4 regs :)

I like the under-arm routing of my Maximus too. In an OOA situation, you can give the panic'ee the main reg and use the octo for yourself. Also, it stays out of the way without rapping around your neck.

Stan

Well,OK,it was moved from the DIR forum but what does it have to do with solo diving? What would a solo diver need a long hose for and who would he/she give it to? This is weird. N

Nemrod:
Well,OK,it was moved from the DIR forum but what does it have to do with solo diving? What would a solo diver need a long hose for and who would he/she give it to? This is weird. N
Because it routes closer to your body an therefore presents less of an entanglement hazard. If your gear (like tank valve) got entangled in such a way as you needed to remove your gear to free it a longer hose would also give you more room for maneuverer

Nemrod:

I have the long hose for the times I dive with someone else but wear it 100%of the time. It makes no difference comfort/drag/setup if I use a short or long.

What would a solo diver need a long hose for and who would he/she give it to? This is weird. N
Even a solo diver could run into someone who is OOA. Even solo cave divers still use 1/3rds (usualy also a buddy bottle).

You might just save someones life.

I dive solo a lot, but not exclusively and I have had one low on air recreational buddy who used my long hose to get us back to the exit point on the bottom rather than dodging boats on the surface. She was quite impressed with the ease of air sharing that was allowed with the long hose.

I have also had occassion to remove my BP and wing to trace the source of a slight leak (I saw them on a solo bubble check by pausing my breathing and looking up for stay bubbles on descent). The long hose made it easy to get to the root of the problem. I also did the same removal evolution one other time to remove a trailing piece of monfilament from the reg/valve area.

So I would argue that the long hose does have a role to play in solo diving. ANd quite hoinestly so does a quick release on the BP/wing shoulder strap as it allows you more flexibility in getting out of a BP wing without further tangling yourself.

DA Aquamaster:
ANd quite hoinestly so does a quick release on the BP/wing shoulder strap as it allows you more flexibility in getting out of a BP wing without further tangling yourself.

Now I don't feel quite so alone! :D

Back
Top Bottom