Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave:
"Planning" is the way to dive - that would include knowing the weather, surge and current, would it not?

It certainly does. It also includes planning for what to do when things go wrong. Things do go wrong and conditions do turn sour quickly. If you can't handle the dive solo in poor conditions with things going wrong then your plan should be to skip the dive.

My two cents (and from someone who dives solo!): weather can change down here at any time.

Figure 20-30 minute swim out to the reef (if you're going to the good parts), 90 minutes or so underwater, 20-30 minutes back...you could be out there for 2-1/2 hours! Things can change DRASTICALLY in that period of time. If you go out and it's a really nice day, please don't be complacent.

That is true, but this is sort of mixing apples and oranges (newer solo divers with an advanced kick out).

There is an extremely nice area right past the pier, too, and it's only about a 7 minute kick out. But that's for sight seeing. A one to two minute kick past the swimming area buoys might not be as pretty, but it's perfect for drills and just getting out there. (South of the pier - there isn't much to see north of it that close in)

Mambo Dave, what pier are you talking about?

EDIT: I looked above and you probably mean Anglin's Pier. I rarely dive up there but it surely is a lot closer swim to the reef than where I normally go. I dive South Broward and go waaaaaaay out. I also kayak dive just north of Sunrise and we go out to the mooring balls.

Mambo Dave, what pier are you talking about?

EDIT: I looked above and you probably mean Anglin's Pier. I rarely dive up there but it surely is a lot closer swim to the reef than where I normally go. I dive South Broward and go waaaaaaay out. I also kayak dive just north of Sunrise and we go out to the mooring balls.

yeah, I meant LBTS's Commercial (road) pier. It has to be just about one of the easiest, nicest places for a shore dive in the United States. There is even a line of coral structures that aren't as far out as the end of the pier (sometimes mistakenly called the first reef, but it's just a small inner reef). The first reef is out past the pier a little.

There is a ledge out there that (seemingly sometimes) has white mooring balls. That one IS a 20-30 minute kick out. It's a nice ledge, but not nearly as scenic as the corals closer in. Heck, that big kick-out ledge is tough even for experienced divers to make. More than one time I've instructed a diver to grab the rope ahead of the dive flag and drug them out there (we kick out on top, on our backs, to conserve air - it's a less efficient kick, and tougher, but it saves the back gas).

I think I have dived the ledge you're talking about a couple of times (is it a ledge that faces the shore (west) off of Dania Beach Blvd.?). The far-out ledge at LBTS faces east.

And this brings up another really important point for newer divers (solo or with a buddy - though solo should dive a place they know is good): There really aren't too many great close-by kick-out places in any state, any city or road. Some people get used to what we have here, north of Ft. Lauderdale, and makes trips either a few miles south or north of here that end up with nothing but sand (I've had a few friends insist we dive north of here, but with absolutely miserable results... well, I did get a lifeguard girlfriend out of it once but, still....).

Even the places that seem like they'd be good for just a sand dive for skills can end up crappy. North of here, in nothing but sand, we encountered such strong currents that, by the time we canceled the dive, put us a mile away from our entry point. A newer solo diver needs to know the area they are going to solo dive in, and know it well, from actual experience with buddies who have taken them out.

Heck, that big kick-out ledge is tough even for experienced divers to make.
It sure is! :D
we kick out on top, on our backs, to conserve air - it's a less efficient kick, and tougher, but it saves the back gas).
Is there any other reasonable way to swim out there besides on the surface your back? I can't think of any. :shakehead:

I think I have dived the ledge you're talking about a couple of times (is it a ledge that faces the shore (west) off of Dania Beach Blvd.?). The far-out ledge at LBTS faces east.
That is one of the many S. Broward ledges, from south Hollywood up to JULSP, some face east, some face west, some are broken up, they are all FUN. I've also gone off the public beach just north of Yankee Clipper. LONG WALK. :wink:

And this brings up another really important point for newer divers (solo or with a buddy - though solo should dive a place they know is good): There really aren't too many great close-by kick-out places in any state, any city or road.
That is exactly why I moved to Broward County Florida 27 years ago. It's also the reason you'll never get me to leave. :cool2:

Even the places that seem like they'd be good for just a sand dive for skills can end up crappy. North of here, in nothing but sand, we encountered such strong currents that, by the time we canceled the dive, put us a mile away from our entry point. A newer solo diver needs to know the area they are going to solo dive in, and know it well, from actual experience with buddies who have taken them out
They need to be prepared for a long walk! I've walked as far as six blocks in full, wet dive gear with a bag o' bugs. That is far more exhausting than the actual dive! :shocked2:

And, if you look at my profile,
I am always looking for beach dive buddies who are strong swimmers and self-sufficient, remember, if something happens on a beach dive, the boat isn't going to pick you up!
:kiss2:

Well said, smart one. Gotta love the :mostlysunny: until the :zap:

I'll keep you in mind when I get my schedule figured out with my new job.

:water:

Cool deal!!! I'll be having Fridays off soon and will be looking for dive buds.

By the way, do you have a yak?

Hi guys...just wanted to add my 2cents. As yo guys can see, I am a pretty advanced diver. Having said that, I have never dove solo. Like almost all of us, I have been on those "same ocean , same day dives". I am pretty confident, that short of all out underwater armageddon, I can handle most situations pretty well.
I cut my teeth on the low-viz waters of Long I sland, N.Y.. If any of you dive there, you know what it's like there. Below 40 feet...it's pitch black. Altho there are some miracle days when you can see the surface form the USS San Diego at 115 feet. I did say "miracle"
Any ways, solo diving. I am considering it... I was thinking Blue Heron or maybe Oleta State. Both shallow and somewhat calm. Anybody want to solo dive with me? LOL...I am off Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.
To sum up, when are you ready to solo dive? I have to agree...please make sure you are at least a Rescue Diver...at the very least. I say this in all reverance for life. Don't lose yours out of bravado or even curiousity, you are worth more than that to us, the diving community and to humanity at large.

Pygar, I didn't realize you could dive out of Oleta, can you tell me more?

You have to know yourself and your gear. Do not SOLO dive if you have any doubts. I have numerous dives and am a Public Safety Diver. I have wedged myself under vehicles to hook them, looked for victims and numerous other tasks in zero viz waters. I feel more comfortable underwater then on land. I dive SOLO on my days off because of conflicting schedules with most of my dive buddies. Do not EVER feel pressured into diving SOLO.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom