Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anybody said: Just go snorkeling with the wife?
I wasn't the first to say it, but ...
Things happen--you don't always have a dive buddy. All kinds of things can get in the way of doing some diving, and the experienced diver knows when to shrug it off and not dive that day. There will be plenty of opportunities to dive other times. If I were the OP, I'd take the opportunity to enjoy snorkeling with my wife.

I don't have enough experience for solo diving, and I'll catch crap for this, if I were much more experienced, I'm not against it. BUT..... I'm also that guy who rides my motorcycle on the interstate 75mph+ with no helmet.
You probably won't need a helmet for too long, fair play to you and your family

Get your 100 dives in, then get your solo training. That's my goal. I have noticed solo Divers kinda meeting up as buddies, ironically.

Every dive I've done has effectively been a solo dive. I doubt any of my buddies could donate thier reg, and share air, or breath off their air2 thing. If they even knew where I was at.

You don't need to wait for 100 dives or take the Solo course before starting to dive redundant with the instabuddies, guide led groups or other people you dive with. Continue to be a good buddy with the redundant equipment and practice using it and the other skills needed for the Solo course (Changing regs to Pony, DSMB deployment, Compass use, mask remove and replace etc.)

Read some threads in the Solo forum on how to get set up.

I am not advising you to dive solo.

I don't have enough experience for solo diving, and I'll catch crap for this, if I were much more experienced, I'm not against it. BUT..... I'm also that guy who rides my motorcycle on the interstate 75mph+ with no helmet.
Yeah...... Me too Brother! Our personal choice to ride without a helmet when we are in States that allow it is "Our Choice" and does not infringe on anyone else's rights. I can hear better, have far more peripheral vision and therefore increased situational awareness...

Hmtau6T.jpg

Yeah...... Me too Brother! Our personal choice to ride without a helmet when we are in States that allow it is "Our Choice" and does not infringe on anyone else's rights. I can hear better, have far more peripheral vision and therefore increased situational awareness...
There's got to be some lawyer somewhere who can make an argument that someone else can be blamed if you get hurt because you chose not to wear a helmet, and your heirs will try to sue whoever it is.

There's got to be some lawyer somewhere who can make an argument that someone else can be blamed if you get hurt because you chose not to wear a helmet, and your heirs will try to sue whoever it is.
Yep..... I get that because lawyers don't give a ratt's ass as to blame or justice or truth. They just want their pay day as it relates to who they are representing.

For those that feel that MC riders must be required to wear a helmet......how would you feel about a law that requires ALL persons operating any car or any truck to also wear a helmet? Wouldn't that also result in far less head injuries that result from the thousands of car wrecks every day?

For those that feel that MC riders must be required to wear a helmet......how would you feel about a law that requires ALL persons operating any car or any truck to also wear a helmet? Wouldn't that also result in far less head injuries that result from the thousands of car wrecks every day?
Sure, why not. We're already required to wear seatbelts.

You don't need to wait for 100 dives or take the Solo course before starting to dive redundant with the instabuddies, guide led groups or other people you dive with. Continue to be a good buddy with the redundant equipment and practice using it and the other skills needed for the Solo course (Changing regs to Pony, DSMB deployment, Compass use, mask remove and replace etc.)

Read some threads in the Solo forum on how to get set up.

I am not advising you to dive solo.
I'm starting to sling an al40 of air. Just steal a reg from my baby doubles rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom