Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, in principle. But I would add to the "flipside" that, in deciding how much risk to take on, divers might consider not just themselves but also others who might be affected: family members, rescuers, etc.

I feel like I need to at least answer part of that.

If we are talking about actual trained rescuers then body recovery is part of what we signed up to do. Especially in dive rescue, there are (almost) no rescues, it's all body recovery all the time. I'm a volunteer firefighter EMT and dealing with dead people is just part of the job that I signed up to do. We've had two fatalities in the last month, one of the as a result of doing something dumb on a motorcycle. I don't want to say that the things we see don't affect us, but we are not innocent bystanders standing there in horror. We are trained responders who choose to do this work and (should) have access to resources to help us cope with the experiences. While our patient's actions may affect us, it is not our place to judge those actions.

If we are talking about actual trained rescuers then body recovery is part of what we signed up to do. Especially in dive rescue, there are (almost) no rescues, it's all body recovery all the time. I'm a volunteer firefighter EMT and dealing with dead people is just part of the job that I signed up to do. We've had two fatalities in the last month, one of the as a result of doing something dumb on a motorcycle. I don't want to say that the things we see don't affect us, but we are not innocent bystanders standing there in horror. We are trained responders who choose to do this work and (should) have access to resources to help us cope with the experiences. While our patient's actions may affect us, it is not our place to judge those actions.
Thanks for doing that. not everyone could.
Did either of those fatalities have a mother or father, or spouse, or children, or siblings? We are rarely alone...

@Cthippo , it is heartening to know you would not judge a diver's decisions/actions after the fact, and I applaud your selfless service. Nevertheless, I would hope we divers consider how best to avoid putting rescue personnel, loved ones, etc., in that position in the first place. You sound stoic, but maybe it takes a toll. We don't want people like you to burn out.

Body recovery can be extremely dangerous. There's a young woman who drove off the road into one of the forks of the Snoqualmie River. She went under at a particularly dangerous part of the river apparently with a number of logs jammed in the bottom that could easily trap a diver. A friend of mine is a King County deputy and was there with the recovery team. One new member quit on the spot after looking at the river, and he was a combat veteran. The young woman will likely never be retrieved.

It is no joke.

First, I don't think redundant gas sources are discussed in any rescue courses I've seen. Nor dealing with entanglements.

Min gas isn't even in any WRSTC agency materials (that I know of) for rescue either

Second, not all bad buddies are a$$holes either. Some of them are poorly trained, overwhelmed by stimulus. I prefer to call them Dori divers.
My "dive buddies" are good friends, not jerks/a$$holes in any way, but terrible dive-buddies. I wouldn't call them "Dori Divers", but they very inattentive and visibility is similar to diluted 💩. Thankfully we mostly solo-dive.

However, if someone asks to be my dive-buddy, I try to make sure I keep a close enough eye on them,even if they don't seem to do the same in return.

Body recovery can be extremely dangerous.
Absolutely. Dive Talk has a number of reaction videos and interviews of body-recovery or attempted rescues, which lead to the deaths or near-death of more divers, including ones that are many times more skilled and experience than myself or even most instructors. There may be an element of "selection bias" (only interesting stories are covered), but it's not a rare story for what are in some cases are relatively small communities (ex: cave diving).

particularly dangerous part of the river apparently with a number of logs jammed in the bottom that could easily trap a diver.
Thankfully, I've almost never come across similar conditions. However, that does remind me:

I once almost swam under a log I didn't see, which had a few dozen boating-anchors and ropes entangled in it. Visibility can often be inches there, but I also go really slow, and carry a serious cutting device. I cut all of the over-hanging ropes I saw, because I didn't want another diver to mistakenly swim into that, although I'm sure it'll collect more in time. I didn't feel like I was in danger, but only because I go very slow in bad vis as a rule and had a cutting-device that was overkill for the job.

I’ve noticed over the past few months that some posters have been thinking Rescue is good enough to allow you to solo dive. Head scratcher.
I was just replying to wetb4's comment "We should help inexperienced divers learn how to deal with bad dive buddies"-- me suggesting that the Rescue Course does that. Not saying Rescue has anything to do with solo diving.

I was just replying to wetb4's comment "We should help inexperienced divers learn how to deal with bad dive buddies"-- me suggesting that the Rescue Course does that. Not saying Rescue has anything to do with solo diving.

Wasn’t your post I was responding to. Don’t remember who it was now.

can you elaborate on what parts/performance requirements in a rescue course that do that in your opinion? Not looking to argue, but understand your thinking.

Has anybody said: Just go snorkeling with the wife? Snorkeling is still fun, and you often get more time in the water than scuba.

Get your 100 dives in, then get your solo training. That's my goal. I have noticed solo Divers kinda meeting up as buddies, ironically.

Every dive I've done has effectively been a solo dive. I doubt any of my buddies could donate thier reg, and share air, or breath off their air2 thing. If they even knew where I was at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom