Solo lake diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea your right, but whos to say whether or not you know the necessary skills to solo.

diverUp once bubbled...
Yea your right, but whos to say whether or not you know the necessary skills to solo.
Darwin

Ron Brandt once bubbled...

Yes , I know.
But still.....who checks you out on a solo dive :)

Ron

EVERYBODY knows that the Solo Diver Certification has a prerequisite course of U/W Photographer so that you can provide a self-portrait performing all necessary tasks.....:smirk:

Big-n-Buoyant once bubbled...
EVERYBODY knows that the Solo Diver Certification has a prerequisite course of U/W Photographer so that you can provide a self-portrait performing all necessary tasks.....:smirk:
The guy who needs a solo cert is the guy with a photog for a buddy. :D

I spearfish on our lake and I go out with 2 buddies on night dives but we immediately after hitting the water go out on our on. I am normally down for 1 1/2 hours to 2hrs on a take at about 15ft. I never see my buddies until we meet back at the boat. I figure at this depth I can get to the surface if anything goes wrong.

diverbrian once bubbled...
Undeserved air embolism is a possibility at shallow depths with the proportional pressure change between 0-20 ft.

This is a very real concern. The p/v relationship means that the top atmosphere is still very real for an AGE as it has the greatest volume change. One of the most important things to remember even at 20' you can still gut hurt if you pop to the surface (not to mention what may be waiting to hit you when you get there). There are a plenty of fatality reports from people that were in 30' of water so it can be dangerous.

I dive alone in the lakes in Maine (I feel comfortable and I am very much qualified to do this) and I do not discurrage it as long as you understand the risks. As stated I would recommend a totally redundant air source like say a 13cubic foot pony (any bigger it will get in your way or be combersome and you will stop using it). Also there are certifications offered for solo diving now (I have not done one but I would like to know how they are).

I recommend not doing this until you are well beyond what you would consider a novice diver. For some this takes 20 dives others this takes hundreds of dives, and others will always be novices.

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS ACTIVITY AND I AM ALSO NOT DISCURRAGING IT EITHER. the official disclaimer:mean:

Zen,
I think you and I have agreed on two things in the short time I have been on this board :)

Regards,
Pete

Ron Brandt once bubbled...
As an instructor we have the attitude that we are diving alone.

Do I recomend it? Depends.

Rescue Diver if not DiveMaster level or equivalent experience.(60 dives minimum) to start.

Your depth seems reasionalble 25-30 ft.

Use a wetsuit and a 40cf Stage or "pony bottle" side mounted so as to be able to beploy the reg and access the valve knob.

I have done commercial work in zero vis with a partner. Was he really my buddy if I could not see him?

There is one agency out there that does teach solo diving.I have often wondered how they "check you out" for your cerification
:boom:

Ron

I totally agree with all your comments but I do have a question:

Why a 40cf pony?

It is my experience (and I have a 30cf pony that I can side mount and a 13 that I sling) that the 13cf is MUCH easier to use. At a depth of 35 - 40 feet you will have more then enough air in the 13 to deal with any problem and get yourself to the surface.

I would recommend not using a stage instead of a pony. Problem with a stage bottle is that you need to get to it for it to be of use. A pony is always right there.

Just my thaughts,
Pete

Be safe

:) :) :)

Freshly certified this spring, followed a few experienced divers and struggled with newbies like myself.....learned skills in class, but wasn't skilled.
I spent most of a day ( and 2 80cf tanks) practicing every em proceedure I was taught, seen, read, or heard about. First at 5 feet, then every 5 feet to 25 feet (10 times). Bored bride on the dock got a couple books read, watching my bubbles., and I became comfortable with gear and emergencies. I stopped one buddy doing an out of control assent, which I don't think I could have prior to that solo serious practice time before hand.

Would have learned more and been safer if I had a patient, experienced diver to critique my skills, now that i have a couple.
Solo was, for me, the time to practice skills so I actually could call them skills, not classroom or open water theory. Diving is for buddies to have serious fun!l

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom