Solo lake diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ceberon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I tried asking this question on rec.scuba, but as expected, they're not too friendly with new divers :)

I'm planning on taking Scuba lessons soon in the Chicago area, AOW eventually, if not more. I'm very comfortable in the water, snorkled plenty of times, swim in triathlons, etc.

My family has a place on a fairly large lake in Wisconsin, max depth of around 25', around 1 mile across (I've checked the depth charts, fished the lake since I was 4, etc). I was thinking that once I got my AOW, on vacations I could solo the lake. No wrecks in 25' depth, but I could at least hug a pike, maybe find one of our lost anchors at the bottom. In either case I thought soloing in the lake would be good practice.

My thought was that I can easily swim to the bottom with just a mask on, so even if I had tank problems, I could always hit the surface on half a breath easily. No wrecks, caves, etc to be stuck in. No lines to get tangled in (maybe fishing line at worst, but that's what a diving knife is for).

Anyway, I was thinking it would be fairly safe. What things would I be overlooking? I've seen plenty of warnings against solo diving, but most of them list problems such as depth, warnings about getting caught in a wreck, running out of air, etc. None of which would be a problem in a maximum of 25' of water.

Repeat, I would do this After I got my AOW, after I've been diving for awhile (perhaps next summer after I have some experience). (rec.scuba people were confused about this). I already swim alone, swim underwater alone with no one around, so I understand those dangers.. I'm just looking to know what new dangers I would have if I was wearing scuba gear.

...about diving alone. One school says that you should NEVER DO IT under any circumstances. The other says, every time you dive, you dive alone, even with a partner or a group. Many spear fishermen will go into the water with a buddy, then turn in opposite directions to hunt for fish. Other Rec divers, dive along on a regular basis. Considering the conditions you place on the dive (shallow water, known conditions and the like) you stand a good chance of coming back alive.

Check out my post about "He's a little green..." and see what kind of things people do when they really want to dive. If you are going to dive alone, it would be a good idea to have a SECOND source of air with you. Not just an additional second stage, but a pony bottle with a first and second stage on it, seperate from your regular rig on your back. Just in case of an entanglement problem or complete failure of your first and second stage regulator?

The decision is one that ONLY you can make, but understand that solo diving is considered a very bad idea in most circles. Tends to contribute to a shortened life span for some people.

Good luck with your decision...

Hey Man, expect to get thrashed for simply asking the question. There is a well developed sub culture of dos, don'ts and anathema in the diving community.
Lots of people actually solo dive.
Thing is, you have to look at a few things. Your diving equipment is really safety equipment. Before you plunge into the plasma environment, you want to know your equipment really well, and have good equipment. After you get your bearing in the water, lakes often make good testing grounds for scuba, usually shallow areas can be found, currents are not usually an issue, however finding good visibility is. A solo diver tends to dive shallow, avoiding more advanced dive sites and potential threats. You already have what looks like some freediving experience which is good. It's higher risk as you know, and there are risks that equipment generally won't overcome, e.g. if you have a medical emergency in the water or if you get hit by a boat (a big risk in inland lakes)as a solo diver you will prob go down for good. That said if you solo your equipment should be utterly reliable (not nec. the most expensive), use dive flags/float on lake, go a little slower as you learn doing it solo, have fun! zeN||

I understand most of the dangers of diving alone, since swimming alone has many of the same dangers. If I would anchor in the middle of the lake to do some swimming, I would make sure to always surface within a few feet of my boat (or generally directly under it, since I use a pontoon boat for swimming). Of course boats need to be avoided.

I suppose I'm most interested in knowing what equipment failures could happen other than the obvious "out of air" if you really didn't plan your dive well. If I run out of air at 20 feet, I can certainly surface without a problem. So what other dangers would there be?

In the lake I can think of some potential probs:

Regulator malfunction (no air) Ist or second stage
Freeflowing regulator
Failure of your BCD (won't inflate)
SPG fails you think you have a full tank but you are almost out of air
Dive computer malfunctions you are at 60 feet instead of 20 feet; dive computer battery dies, viz is really bad, you don't know your depth, you have to ascend but you get disoriented from zero viz, judging your rate is difficult
Get caught up in fishing line at depth
Boat hits you at surface
Have medical emergency of unknown origin
Get sick underwater, vomit into your regulator, can't clear it quick enough, start getting dizzy, anoxic
to think of just a few:)
zeN||

Is there no one you could dive with? Maybe find a buddy at a local shop or even on here? If you end up diving solo, would you have at least surface support? What would you do if for some reason you get bent and you surface and there is no one there to help you? I would at least want someone on the boat I came in on, in case an emergency arose.

Mind you, I don't dive solo myself. I like to point out all the nice fish and it's more fun with a *good* dive buddy. Decompression stops refer to more than just the hyperbaric kind. :)

Wendy is right about surface support. What happens if something happens to your anchor line and the boat starts drifting away? What about a medical emergency? Undeserved air embolism is a possibility at shallow depths with the proportional pressure change between 0-20 ft. What about one of the several reasons that unexplained bouts of dizziness/ unconsciousness hit (ie. heat exhaustion, dehydration)? On land, they find you laying down on the ground. Under water?

I am not lecturing. I have a couple of experienced buddies that dive solo a great deal of the time. Most of the charter captains/ DM's that I see will take a quick bounce dive to set an anchor or run a line to a wreck. I would just advise that you look at all the potential risks before attempting it (as you appear to be doing). Be careful and come back and tell us how it goes, will you?

As an instructor we have the attitude that we are diving alone.

Do I recomend it? Depends.

Rescue Diver if not DiveMaster level or equivalent experience.(60 dives minimum) to start.

Your depth seems reasionalble 25-30 ft.

Use a wetsuit and a 40cf Stage or "pony bottle" side mounted so as to be able to beploy the reg and access the valve knob.

I have done commercial work in zero vis with a partner. Was he really my buddy if I could not see him?

There is one agency out there that does teach solo diving.I have often wondered how they "check you out" for your cerification
:boom:

Ron

washow88 once bubbled...
Ron,
May be we need to start a solo diving specialty certification.

Yep,Distinctive Speciality - Solo Instructor/Diver.

I make PADI reel enough,I could just see the looks when I submitted that one.

My former IDC course director is an educational consultat there now.He might expect it from me...

I could you just imagine what the liability waiver would read..:boom:

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom