Solo shore diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What evidence do you have that it's uncommon for large numbers of people to do dumb things?

Because you have no faith in yourself and are a card carrying member of the nanny state, Does not equal others are "DUMB" .... You are calling a whole lot of VERY experienced divers " dumb ".... I think you need to rethink your outlook a little...

Jim...

I will admit that I have done solo shore dives in Cozumel, but not until the time when I had been diving for more than 10 years, had at least 25-30 trips to Coz, and was pretty familiar with both my own equipment and the area I was diving. That said, I would ONLY do a solo shore dive to a max of 25-30 feet, and only in areas where there was both an entry and exit through a "No Boats" zone, and only if I had done shore dives with buddies in that area previously. I do not consider solo shore dives in Cozumel as fitting on the "Never, Never, Ever Do It" list. But it definitely belongs on the list of "Only do it with sufficient experience, knowledge of the area, and sufficient consideration of the risks" list.

I actually wonder if this is true among the posters on this board. Other than embolism or a buoyancy problem popping you up under a boat (both of which could occur with or without a buddy), shore diving in Cozumel is not much different from snorkeling--most dangers are the same. If solo snorkeling is okay, why not a 15 foot dive in the same area? That said, diving is usually more fun with a buddy.

Personally, I would consider shore snorkeling to be riskier than diving. The surface is where you do NOT want to be next to an active pier with boats coming and going. When I shore dive there, I decend at the entry and ascend right back at the entry.

Other risks are currents that can become a problem if you become fatigued or cramped. Easier to get lost underwater and find yourself 500 yards from shore.

A buddy can't prevent things from happening to you but they can assist you and/or go for help.

It might help if you identified the resort, but from your description, I assume it is Scuba Club Cozumel. I doubt if you could find a better, safer place for shore diving in Cozumel. While your dive count indicates you may have little experience, you are the only one who must decide whether you are ready or not. The requirement to deal with boats in SCC shore dive area is minimal as no other dive op can use their dock. There may be the occasional (rare) fishing boat but they are just not that difficult to deal with. You will not need a SMB if you stay in the SCC marked area. It is fairly easily navigated with a number of entry and exit options. There is plenty of life to see even though you will not find corals other than very small fist sized growths. The rubble from their destroyed dock as well as other man made attractions and grasses will give you hours of enjoyable critter hunting. And, unlike Cozumel boat dive, if you would like to spend 30 minutes watching a Chain Moray hunt in the rock rubble, you are free to do so, especially if you are solo. Depths will be in the 15 to 25 ft range so a CESA, if required, would be little challenge. Even their 63 cu ft tanks should last you an hour or more in such a shallow, easy dive. Currents are usually mild out of the south but do be watchful for stronger (still quite managable) currents that may alter your dive plan. And, you will find plenty of other divers doing the same thing so you should have no trouble picking up a buddy if that is the route you decide to take. It is also a great opportunity for night dives so bring a couple lights and take advantage of that. The DM (guide) for your first shore dive is a good idea. You will want a compass and then you can use it, and an UW writing tablet to record way points, headings, and distances.

Enjoy

It might help if you identified the resort, but from your description, I assume it is Scuba Club Cozumel.
It is such a pain to read what has already been discussed before commenting. :(
You're stay at Hogtown Motel and diving Pappa Hogs I saw elsewhere. Is that Villa Blanca or another property nearby?

Yes, Villa Blanca.

Because you have no faith in yourself and are a card carrying member of the nanny state, Does not equal others are "DUMB" .... You are calling a whole lot of VERY experienced divers " dumb ".... I think you need to rethink your outlook a little...

I think you need either to go back and re-read what I wrote, or work on your general comprehension skills. At a minimum you need to realize that not every posting is about you.

You don't know me, my level of personal confidence, my outlook or my degree of agreement with nanny-stateism.

I did not say a single thing about divers. I did not say a single thing about solo diving.

I made a general statement that merely because a lot of people do something does not mean it's not dumb. As a physician who's staffed large, busy emergency departments I can absolutely prove that large numbers of people do, in fact, do things that can, in fact, be shown to have been dumb things to do.

Are you of the opinion that if a sufficiently large number of people do something, then that thing is necessarily a smart or reasonable thing to do? If you do actually believe this (which is difficult for me to accept as likely, but let's just say), what evidence can you offer for this?

I apologize to you if that is not the case.... We are in a thread discussing the Pro's and Con's of solo shore diving...

``What evidence do you have that it's uncommon for large numbers of people to do dumb things?''

Seeing the number of people on this thread alone who have done it, not counting the number of post on this forum and this entire site who have also said they have done it. Hence why I was asking how dumb or undumb (
11.gif
) it is to do.

I hope you see my misunderstanding of your post...

Jim....

Last edited:
As a physician who's staffed large, busy emergency departments I can absolutely prove that large numbers of people do, in fact, do things that can, in fact, be shown to have been dumb things to do.

Of course, he just sees a small slice. There are far more that don't rise to an ER visit. Of course, he probably saw a large percentage of the most interesting ones.....

I will be at SCC on Sunday, if my son and daughter-in-law don't want to dive, my camera and I will be solo diving in front of the resort. It is ideal - shallow, clear, easy entry, no tangle hazards with lots of things to see. It really depends on your confidence in your ability to self rescue in the conditions you are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom